Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still not following. Perhaps you can clarify what you are arguing? (I think you're saying there were 2000 testers for several months in Tesla (we wouldn't know about their accidents BTW) and now we've added 1k more?)
Yes - 2k testers according to Tesla - and when Musk says no accidents till now - I'm assuming he is talking about all 2k.

If he is talking about only 200 or so non-employees, then yes, adding 1k increases the odds of an accident quite a bit. Though, it looks to me the youtubers are driving way more aggressively (and in lot more complex environments).

I don't know if this is necessarily no good. It gives more reaction time if a pet or child runs into the street. The problem I have is that it doesn't move over soon enough when another car is coming toward you.
Agreed. Most human drivers in my area do the same thing: drive in the middle of the street until they see an oncoming car.
I think its a little bit more complicated.

If the road has a lot of parked cars, people tend to drive in the middle. If the road sees frequent traffic both ways, people tend to keep to the left. If there are kids nearby, people drive in the middle etc.

They need a separate set of optimization parameters/weights for unmarked residential streets.

Talking of FSD Beta accidents ...

Today I may have actually become the first person to get in an accident while the FSD Beta was driving!

Happy to say though, my car was just slowing to a stop at a stop sign totally normally and for once gracefully, and the car behind me just rolled into me. There’s a barely perceptible dent now in the rear bumper. The driver apologized and we went our separate ways.

We have left arrow lights that flash yellow around here, and my car just sits there like it doesn’t know it can proceed when traffic clears. Anyone else notice this behavior?
This has been reported by some of the EAP beta testers.

I have a right turn out of my neighborhood onto a 55 mph divided highway that FSD refuses to take when the light is red. It will just sit there until the light turns green. I suppose the map data may be wrong, and is indicating this is a no turn on red intersection. There's even a merging lane, which for some reason FSD goes to the very end of before following the diagonal line to merge. I'm never quite sure it's going to merge rather than continue onto the shoulder.

Last edited:
So this will probably be frowned upon (and maybe even deleted, I don’t know the rules) but anyone have any experience with FSD beta and an autopilot buddy?
More than frowned upon. Hopefully Tesla has updated the algorithm to detect this and will kick anyone out of the beta program who does it. This is the kind of stuff that ruins it for everyone.

More than frowned upon. Hopefully Tesla has updated the algorithm to detect this and will kick anyone out of the beta program who does it. This is the kind of stuff that ruins it for everyone.
Tesla really just needs to move away from the steering wheel nag to the interior camera. That being said, man you really want your hands on the wheel at all times during FSD beta…some of those turns are violent!

Tesla really just needs to move away from the steering wheel nag to the interior camera. That being said, man you really want your hands on the wheel at all times during FSD beta…some of those turns are violent!
Well those of us with older S/X vehicles don’t have the camera but feel fortunate to be able to test FSD and provide valuable real-world data to Tesla to be able to create a true FSD capability in the future. All it will take is someone doing something stupid and having an accident for the NHTSA to step in and put the kibosh on the whole thing.

If you’re fortunate enough to be in the beta, use it every time you drive, keep your hands on the wheel and shield the brake pedal (or accelerator) as appropriate. Anyone who isn’t willing to do so should respectfully opt-out of the program.

If he is talking about only 200 or so non-employees, then yes

increases the odds of an accident quite a bit.

And from the numbers above, regardless of the risk increase, we can approximate absolute risk, and you can see it is non-negligible risk of an accident over the course of a week.
Talking of FSD Beta accidents ...

Case in point, yes. There’s the first (reported, not counting curb strikes…probably not the first)! Unfortunately that does not reduce the risk going forward.

It’s quite high risk! Hopefully just fender benders unrelated to FSD and nothing more.

These people with 99 scores may need some luck.

Tesla really just needs to move away from the steering wheel nag to the interior camera

FSD beta…some of those turns are violent!
I think you just answered why Tesla has a super sensitive steering nag now with FSD beta!

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier and fiveten
How do you figure that they’re a mix of AP2.0 and AP2.5? It seems almost every 2017 that I have spoken to that received the beta is a late Aug 2017 or later Model S with AP2.5.

There is currently no evidence that suggests a single AP2.0 vehicle has gotten access but I would love to be proven wrong and give some hope to my vehicle that’s going on 3 weeks at 100 score with no beta to show for it.
There is some confusion. I saw that 75Ds were getting FSD and thought in my head they were early and only would have had AP2.0. Then my 'update' remark in that post said that my thought was incorrect and there was a mix of 75D that had either AP2.0 or AP2.5. It could be that all the 75Ds I pointed to in that TeslaFI output were AP2.5 cars.

Today is the first day I've seen reference to AP2.0 cars that now have FSD (aka AP3, aka HW3) could not (are not) get FSDBeta invitations.

Since radar is not relevant that means the AP2.5 new radar hardware would not be the cause. So you are in the camp that AP2.0 cameras filters or sonar could be the reason? Or something else. See this section 'Hardware Specifications for new cars (no retrofits)' here for an overview of diffs: Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap

P.S. Great point / job on getting a SS 100 for so long. That is one indications/datapoint. I have an 2017 AP2.0 X upgraded to FSD and MCU2 but had 99 on Friday after starting a roadtrip that data that dropped me from 100 in the last few hour of driving over that 2 week period!

Okay...Can someone teach me how to "intervene?" When the car messes up, I am hitting the breaks to disable FSD and then taking over. Can you like steer it correctly and not end FSD? Or hit the gas and make it go and not end FSD? But then take your foot off and it continues?

Okay...Can someone teach me how to "intervene?" When the car messes up, I am hitting the breaks to disable FSD and then taking over. Can you like steer it correctly and not end FSD? Or hit the gas and make it go and not end FSD? But then take your foot off and it continues?
I recommend always disabling it using the gear shifter (assuming you don’t have the yoke) so that TACC is disengaged and you don’t have to tap the brakes and can then decide whether you need to turn more or less, brake, or accelerate. Always do it the same so you aren’t surprised TACC is still going.