Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We saw during AI day how they intend to solve object persistence through blizzard-like conditions, so no, I don't think the long term intent is to limit the system to fair weather. They may choose to do that today, given current capability. But I suspect in a month or so, we'll start seeing videos of FSD in snow. They already removed the +5mph max speed restriction on local roads.
I highly doubt that.

We get a lot of rainy days here - and AP is great at night during rain - when its very difficult for me to drive (glasses).
Even back in 2018 when my Model 3 was new, AP was excellent in super-heavy downpours. In situations where I could barely make out the winter-worn lane lines on the highway, the car saw them perfectly. This was later validated when the dashcam feature became a thing; I could verify that the camera could clearly make out the lane lines while I could not. Not sure if it's a contrast thing, or if the camera can see into near IR/UV to enhance the picture.

As a tester, yes, I would use it. As an owner expecting FSD to handle all weather, no.

-edit- I see you are from TN. I would be hesitant to test in areas where black ice is a common occurrence. I grew up in metro Atlanta, and we stay indoors in freezing rain conditions. no salt/sand trucks to mitigate the hazard. I'm not as worried here in New England.
Okay Thanks. I actually learned to drive in Pennsylvania on snow and ice so I do understand how different it is. As to the icing problems of the south I would not temp fate by driving on it with or without FSD. I know and understand my and the cars limitation. The car may go on ice but its the stopping that's tricky! I've done my share of 360.

Reactions: nvx1977
Under Controls > AutoPilot > AutoSteer Activation, you can choose single click or double click. With "single click", pressing the thumbwheel puts you into Autosteer, while with "double click", the first thumbwheel click engages TACC and the second click engages Autosteer.

THere is a setting to alter how you engage it?
I'm pretty sure that the option to control how you engage AP is only available for Model S and X cars.

Never seen it on my Model 3, but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't... I'll have to look, but I'm fairly sure it's only for S and X.

Reactions: pilotSteve
We get a lot of rainy days here - and AP is great at night during rain - when its very difficult for me to drive (glasses).
To be clear, you are talking about the AP not the FSD portion of the system, just the highway driving? I like you wear glasses and have difficulty at night (old age I guess). I have only had the car about six months and really have not used it at night in the rain.

I'm pretty sure that the option to control how you engage AP is only available for Model S and X cars.

Never seen it on my Model 3, but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't... I'll have to look, but I'm fairly sure it's only for S and X.
My bad--was not paying attention to which thread I was on--those instructions are for the refresh (yoke) S.

Reactions: K5TRX
To be clear, you are talking about the AP not the FSD portion of the system, just the highway driving? I like you wear glasses and have difficulty at night (old age I guess). I have only had the car about six months and really have not used it at night in the rain.
Yes I'm mainly talking about AP (pre-FSD Beta).

Couple of days back I did use AP (with FSD beta disabled), which worked fine at night when it was raining. I was going uphill. On this road, while going downhill, it has issues (not tried at night & raining).

I have submitted feedback for the TACC on by default issue. It might be desirable on the highway sometimes, but for FSD testing on local roads, it sucks. I suggested either making steering wheel interventions fully disengage, or have a setting under Autopilot for us to choose the TACC state.
Yeah, I feel like there should be a more graceful way to deal with steering wheel interventions. I just had a case this afternoon where I just instinctively grabbed the wheel when the car was getting ready to turn into a Walgreen's parking lot because an oncoming car came out of nowhere to leave the parking lot, and when I wrestled the wheel over to direct my car away from the oncoming car, my car actually locked up the brakes and skidded briefly right there at the parking lot entrance. I guess TACC was still enabled when I grabbed the wheel, but the last thing I expected it to do was to brake super hard.

Got back from another drive. FSD drove right past my destination, and in the wrong lane. Didn’t try to change lanes at all just kept on driving. And I got honked at twice on the way home for various dumb things it was doing. Mostly hesitating at stops and turns. This software is definitely not ready for a wide rollout.

Yeah. I’m basically always on the accelerator and I intervene at every turn. I like to not hit curbs, and it turns so abruptly and sharply without approaching the turn at the correct speed, so discretion is the better part of valor in most cases. If it would just do everything more smoothly I’d intervene less often.

Does the A/P (NoA/P or FSD) recognize reduced traction in rain or snow and compensate for stopping distances?
I've had two instances of the stoplight beta not compensating, but it's hard telling if they've improved the pre-release FSD beta in that regard. FWIW, in one case there was black ice, and in the other I just didn't even think about the fact that it was raining fairly heavily. Both times I was able to intervene. In the ice case, it kicked out of AP as soon as ABS kicked on and I reacted quickly enough that I was able to get stopped by the stop line with ABS (certainly wouldn't have been stopping if I didn't have winter tires). In the rain case, ABS didn't kick on, so stopping distance was reduced, but it wasn't obvious to me until it was too late; I had to gun it through the intersection before the cross traffic lights turned green.
To follow along with my previous question, since the A/P is strictly a visual system, will it recognize that in reduce visibility situations (ie., fog, rain or snow) that it will need to adjust speed to allow for unseen objects? Will it know to not use high beam lights in fog?
Considering how differently cameras see in fog to begin with, I'm not sure if the system will even be able to tell there is fog. I know the auto high beams definitely turn on in fog outside of the pre-release FSD beta.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
The beta stays on in bad weather. I haven't seen a blizzard yet, but most people are smart enough to avoid driving in those...
Yeah with FSD beta it will make the "ding-dong" noise and pop up a prompt that "Navigate on Autopilot is unavailable due to bad weather" but it will keep working just the same as before. There's no behavior change for wet roads as far as I can tell, it's just as aggressive peeling out of my side street on a rainy night as it is in sunny weather.

The beta stays on in bad weather. I haven't seen a blizzard yet, but most people are smart enough to avoid driving in those...

Dirty Tesla's channel (2nd video in the quoted section) is great for seeing how FSD does on dirt roads, and I guess snow too (I must have missed those earlier in the year). He has to take dirt roads to get home, and I remember him testing those quite a bit. Lately he's been doing more city stuff. He mentions it in this video, but back in the earlier versions, on unmarked roads, the car kept hugging the right edge of drivable space too much. Today's FSD seems to have overcompensated for that, as several people have noted, and part of the car is over the centerline of the road.

Today I drove on my neighborhood unmarked roads without FSD engaged, and I was looking at the visualization. As it turns out, several times when the car hovers to the center, the AP/FSD-ready icon (gray steering wheel) disappeared. So it's clearly confused whether it's driving on a single one-way giant lane, or if it's a road intended for 2-way traffic. Sometimes when the seam in the asphalt becomes more visible, it interprets that as a centerline marking, and the car dives over to the right, and the AP/FSD-ready icon reappears.

Reactions: geekfam