Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I drove on my neighborhood unmarked roads without FSD engaged, and I was looking at the visualization. As it turns out, several times when the car hovers to the center, the AP/FSD-ready icon (gray steering wheel) disappeared. So it's clearly confused whether it's driving on a single one-way giant lane, or if it's a road intended for 2-way traffic. Sometimes when the seam in the asphalt becomes more visible, it interprets that as a centerline marking, and the car dives over to the right, and the AP/FSD-ready icon reappears.

I am in IL and have this exact thing in my subdivision. I is a wide street intended for 2 way traffic, but FSD will stay centered, with the occasional yellow centerline popping up on the display and it getting over. Every time an oncoming car is headed for me, i give it lots of time to scoot over to the right but it does not very much at all and I have to disengage. One a related note, the entrance to our subdivision has an "island" that splits between the entrance and exit (left and right lanes). It has problems seeing this island when heading out of the subdivision and about 50% of the time will head right for the island instead of scooting over a few feet to exit the subdivision using the lane.

Yep. Just today on a road it had previously done fine (and which auto steer handled fine previously) it decided to pull hard to the right. If I was glancing at my phone or doing literally anything other that gripping the wheel I would have been over the curb at 25mph…
What I find interesting is that with the same situation FSD beta is very inconsistent. One time it can handle it perfectly, but the next time it totally fails.

It makes me wonder about the many original beta testers on YouTube who comment about the improvements they think they see in each new version. Is the FSD software really getting better or was it just luck that it worked once where had previously had not. Frankly, other than the graphics having gotten better with version 10, I haven't seen the frequency of interventions or disengagements with decreasing in their videos since version 8, except for an occasonal drive where one tester may have been lucky and not intervened.

Now that I am a FSD bets tester, myself, I never no what to expect. Occasionally, I am impressed that it works as well as it does. However, more often it doesn’t in unexpected dangerous ways, such as stopping in the middle of a turn with a speeding oncoming car heading straight at you. It's as though the car is paralyzed with fear and can't decide what to do. In that brief moment I am scarred too, but I have to act or possubly die.

Nevertheless, I feel fortunate to being one of the test pilots. I look forward to real improvements with each coming new version I will be trying. Hopefully, these improvements will operate more consistently so that any change will be obvious and not imagined.

Today was the first time the wifey has been in the car since I got FSD beta. I had warned her since day 1 of getting it that it was unpolished. Fortunately she is bullish on this tech and was very curious about what it can handle. tl;dr: some parts impressed her, and some parts had her gripping the door handle.

The part I wanted to share was that for some turns, I anticipated that the car would be hesitant and choppy with speed, so when I deemed the intersection clear to go, I just used the accelerator as I normally would, and she would think the car did a really good turn. If I had let FSD do its thing, it would have stopped way too early before the stop sign, took its time creeping forward, then potentially commit then hesitate during the turn. All that gets masked with the accelerator pedal. And the intervention with the pedal hopefully gives Tesla good info to work with.

Wifey said the car rode like a disney ride. Sometimes smooth, and sometimes bumps you around a bit and overall has a very artificial/machine feel to it.

She also expressed her sympathies for those who have to maintain the Safety Score in hopes of getting into the beta. She saw the lengths I went through to maintain the 100 score for 2 weeks and can't imagine people needing to keep that up for much longer.

I imagine it will disable itself in bad weather, as autopilot does now.

So this is strictly a fair weather system? Do not use in snow or rain.

As a tester, yes, I would use it. As an owner expecting FSD to handle all weather, no.

-edit- I see you are from TN. I would be hesitant to test in areas where black ice is a common occurrence. I grew up in metro Atlanta, and we stay indoors in freezing rain conditions. no salt/sand trucks to mitigate the hazard. I'm not as worried here in New England.
As it stands now I cannot imagine trying FSD when its actually snowing. You have to drive very differently in a snow storm and I suspect it will be at least another winter perhaps two before FSD will be even remotely capable of driving safely in drifting snow or ice storms. Just stay warm indoors and the robotaxis will just have to shut down for a bit. I'm sure those who have driven in serious winter weather appreciate some of the unique ways you have to drive to make your destination. There have been many a drive where the best place to drive was in the snow and not the clear tracks, black ice and all.

Just pretend your have an egg between your foot and the go pedal!

Okay Thanks. I actually learned to drive in Pennsylvania on snow and ice so I do understand how different it is. As to the icing problems of the south I would not temp fate by driving on it with or without FSD. I know and understand my and the cars limitation. The car may go on ice but its the stopping that's tricky! I've done my share of 360.
Really 360's! Been driving over 50 years in NE and have never even done a 180. Do you practice them? :)

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Coincidentally to the recent exchange in this thread, I just did a drive with 10.2 in the evening in heavy rain. It worked about as good as it did on the same route on a sunny day. The turns it couldn't make were the same it failed previously in daylight. It really felt like the camera data was still viable under poor visibility conditions but the car's decision making was suspect. I'm getting the strong impression that mapping quality must be a major factor as to why one intersection poses no problem but a geometrically identical situation is a disaster.

Questions to the community (now that many have had at least a couple days to play with beta FSD):

1) With all the jerkiness in the steering and braking, given this has been the situation with beta for over a year, and given that this in not a drive by wire system, but rather a mechanical one, is anyone concerned that this beta FSD software is accelerating the wear of the cars components (steering, suspension, brakes, etc.)?

2) While many enjoy, use regularly, and see the benefit of highway AP, NoA, and FSD, do you feel the same way about using FSD “around town”? Let’s say you own a “P” model of Tesla; wouldn’t you enjoy driving more then letting a L2 FSD system take you in your “P” Tesla around town? Currently, I think I would enjoy my Plaid more around town if I drove it, vs a much improved L2 FSD system that my never get to L4/L5 while I own it.

3) While I enjoy playing with beta FSD, and being part of the beta testing team during this pivotal auto evolvution, I don’t see myself preferring to use it “comfortably” until L3/L4/L5 happens. Right now, and for the near future (1-2 years), to use it around town seems much more stressful than just driving, save for the beta tester comments above. Makes for a good parlor trick for friends and family though, like Smart Summon was in the early days.

Your thoughts and rational?
@diplomat33

Last edited:
Agree on all three of those.

Btw - is it just me or does the freeway AP seem slightly worse now than before? Could be because it’s relying solely on vision now but during a freeway drive I took today I swear it wasn’t as “solid” as I remember from before. Wondering what others think?

Agree on all three of those.

Btw - is it just me or does the freeway AP seem slightly worse now than before? Could be because it’s relying solely on vision now but during a freeway drive I took today I swear it wasn’t as “solid” as I remember from before. Wondering what others think?
@mchas “All of those”. What are you referring to? Yes, vision is currently worse than radar, so that would be my guess.

Untangle. they sell the software or an appliance. it offers more control that most would want but if you enjoy that sort of thing you can be very specific about what you do and don't allow.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-16 230330.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-16 230330.png
    329.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
. So it's clearly confused whether it's driving on a single one-way giant lane, or if it's a road intended for 2-way traffic.

Here’s a video of mine from today showing the neighborhood issues. Very poor production value, and the commentary is painful - and sorry for the mild profanities. I don’t plan to make many more videos; it’s too much effort.

In any case in the video description there are links to relevant time stamps to help speed up viewing.

I discuss this neighborhood issue around 12:40.

I can’t get chapters to work on YouTube. Possibly because I have no subscribers or it’s deemed offensive content. It’s not clear why they don’t work, but I also don’t want subscribers. Sorry the chapters are not fully working. Outside of my control - I got them to show up in a video before but now they have disappeared for good it seems. Just use the links! (Open to suggestions if there is a formatting issue that someone can see.)

Hopefully for those without FSD Beta this accurately captures the current state of a very typical drive. I really focused on describing the “seat feel.” It may seem like I am complaining a lot, but I am used to needing to drive fairly smoothly; my wife complains if I do not chauffeur competently. Every single jerk that I felt, I commented on. It may seem like I intervened too much, but every one (except the one where I placed my pin in the wrong spot and disengaged to drive past it) was necessary.

This drive was not cherry picked for being poor; it represents a fairly typical drive for me. If there were no traffic, I would not have disengaged on some of these turns. But with other vehicles around, this is all very typical for required disengagements, to avoid having any other driver notice that I am using FSD Beta.

Summary:
1) Smooth stopping is very rare.
2) Smooth steering is somewhat rare.
3) Acceleration is usually not bold enough, but sometimes too bold. Context ignorant.
4) At intersections, FSD Beta frequently sets up in the wrong spot, far short of where it needs to be.