Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They need to make the turns smoother for us to properly test. Otherwise there will be far too many disengagements and occasional rim damage because there is no way I can tell whether its going to brush the curb or not with the jerky steering wheel action.
I think there should be an automatically created list of log files. Every time you flip the stalk twice to engage FSD it should start a new log and enter data about the drive including starts, stops, turns, missed turns, re-routes, driver use of the accelerator, and any explanations for any warnings or the reason for any disengagement. This gives enough context so a driver can later review the log and understand what happened and why.

Reactions: impastu and EVNow
BTW, how are these yoke steering wheels dealing with this?. Seems easier to let the wheel graze against your palms as its doing its incremental dance, it has 360 degrees.
I haven't had a single accidental disengagement with the yoke so it seems it isn't as sensitive as non-yoke cars. If making more than a 90 degree turn I sort of just let my hands hover near where it is spinning and haven't been nagged. I'm guessing they have completely different settings for the nags between yoke and non-yoke cars.

Reactions: impastu and T-Racer
I think there should be an automatically created list of log files. Every time you flip the stalk twice to engage FSD it should start a new log and enter data about the drive including starts, stops, turns, missed turns, re-routes, driver use of the accelerator, and any explanations for any warnings or the reason for any disengagement. This gives enough context so a driver can later review the log and understand what happened and why.
Yes - we should be able to login to Tesla website and delete stuff that is not an issue and add comments etc for items which are issues. Probably also assign severity / priority. This way we can add context to disengagements and bug reports, which now some people at Tesla have to just guess.

For eg - sometime I disengage just few hundred feet away from the destination because the destination is within a strip-mall. Those aren't really problems (in the sense parking lots are known issues now).

this is why I prefer steering interventions to be non-disengaging. Significantly reduce torque resistance to allow driver to smoothly take a turn, then when no torque is detected, resume autosteer. I suppose they don't want to do this for driver-monitoring issues, but cabin camera is helping now. This way, every manual intervention by the driver is assumed to be a correction.
Same. That's how it works with OpenPilot, if the car isn't positioning itself quite how you like, you can torque the wheel a bit to nudge it over and it temporarily relaxes its control back to you. Its more a cooperative thing, and Tesla style is more like its locked onto rails and you can only hard disengage AP. Probably there's trade-offs with either approach.

Reactions: edseloh and impastu
I wouldn't expect FSD Beta 10.3 to be on the 2021.36.x branch. (Historically the FSD testers have been months behind on feature additions/releases.)
Well, current beta release is week 32, and the most current fleet release is week 36 - which came out after the beta release. Recall, the “button” was also week 32, so it’s possible v10.3 could be on the week 36 branch. Guess we will know soon enough.

So I want to retract what I said earlier about pressure on wheel, I stand corrected . I initialy wrote....
"You MUST , MUST, have your hands FIRMLY on the wheel and be ready to react in a moments notice."....

....looks like I'm wrong pertaining to the 90 degree turns disengaging. I now understand that you have to let your palms "rest" on the wheel while the computer does its stuff. Seems to be doing a little dance back and forth while calculating the 90 degree turn. Im use to a slow rotation of the wheel but it appears thats not how it works.

So it looks like I was causing the disengagements on the turns by holding the wheel to tight, thinking that it wasnt completing the turn etc.
I was also worried that I would get dinked by not having enough pressure on the wheel. 2 strikes your out?

So sorry about that. BTW, how are these yoke steering wheels dealing with this?. Seems easier to let the wheel graze against your palms as its doing its incremental dance, it has 360 degrees.

Anyway, looks like there's a learning curve with fsd beta like there was a learning curve for the safety test.

Better drive this afternoon.
Personally I keep a loose grip on the wheel for turns and let the wheel slide through my hands. Easy to grip and take over steering if necessary on a turn. If the wheel gets too twitchy I take over as well. Most turns it does well for me, but occasionally it’s confused and on one particular turn onto a street I can feel the wheel turning too sharply, so I’m pretty sure it is turning into the oncoming lane, but I’ve never let it go enough to be sure. Maybe if I‘m ever at that particular intersection with no cars around I’ll let it go to be sure, but for now there’s no way.

Reactions: impastu
Now, the negatives.

1)only 50 percent of the time does the car complete a 90 degree turn. It disengages constantly, and it would disengage half way through the turn, hesitating the entire time. If your hands are not on the wheel, you can definetly drift and hit another car, or guard rail. It just happens to many times

2)it makes turns without slowing down, talk about aggresive turning!

3)the car hesitates way to much, and can slow down rapidly even on a straight road. I have to watch the rear view mirror to act quickly so the car behind me dosen't rear end me

4)It wont make a right hand turn at a red light....and if theres a shoulder, it doesnt drift into it prior to making the 90 degree right turn.

5)parking lots,...forget it....useless

6)very jerky accelrations and serious hard breaking....your break pads will finally see some action and wear and tear.

7) random disengagements, out of nowhere.

Guys, this is definietly a beta that we signed on for. Very surprized that alot of posts read online on how amazing this is. Please, its like your a student driver observer but its a computer. You MUST , MUST, have your hands FIRMLY on the wheel and be ready to react in a moments notice.
My advise is to test without passengers unless they know they will be jerked around. My question with so many disengagments ...Is there a recalibration breakin period that I dont know about like when we got our cars initially? I'm wondering if the cameras or sensors on my model x 2020 loaded are defective. Im mean this many disengagements?

or....is this beta really quite the leap foward and with all the beta testing feedback the program will improve exponentially with each new version?

At breakfast, I told my daughter that 20 years from now when there are self driving robotaxis, I will be an 80 year old and telling my grandkids the story of how I beta tested the FSD beta. I hope within the next few months its a happy story.

PS....the drive back home with no safety score anxiety, like I said, what a weird 3 weeks
Very similar experiences, I would add to that - every time the car *crosses* an intersection when light is orange and about to turn red, after intersection is completed, car brakes hard (even if no car is ahead of me)! If someone were to tailgate me through to get across in the nick of time, they would definitely rear-end my car! It has happened thrice to me and every time I have pressed the video recording button as well. I am also going to send feedback on email. They definitely to remedy this phenomenon.

• Helpful
Reactions: impastu and T-Racer
Age is SO subjective? Are you trying to chronologically date me? I have been told that I don't look old enough to be so accomplished, but I will tell you that I'm way older than the internet. I do remember, a long time ago, sitting behind Jesus in second grade. Oh sugar! That will probably offend some people. Sorry in advance.
Some of my kids were driving before the internet. But at least none pre-date arpanet.

Reactions: impastu and Matias