Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With 10.3 coming I decided to stop using 10.2 today. Too many disengagements and close calls with other cars. Frankly the more I use FSD 10.2 the more I appreciate what the early beta testers went thru. When they praise Tesla for how much FSD has improved you appreciate how bad the initial beta release must have been.

Are there any new FSD beta testers who feel 10.2 is better then you expected after using it for 2 weeks? I certainly have been disappointed. Hoping 10.3 has some significant improvement.

Are there any new FSD beta testers who feel 10.2 is better then you expected after using it for 2 weeks? I certainly have been disappointed. Hoping 10.3 has some significant improvement.
10.2 is about as I expected, quite poor, but sometimes ok, and I am not disappointed at all - just what I expected. I expect about the same in 10.3, and I also expect to see a lot of videos claiming lots of improvements.

Last edited:
10.2 is about as I expected, quite poor, but sometimes ok, and I am not disappointed at all - just what I expected. I expect about the same in 10.3, and I also expect to see a lot of videos claiming lots of improvements.
I wasn't expecting such a big regression from AP in terms of FCW / phantom braking / sudden slowdowns.

3 small things I found annoying, hope they fix:
-speed at residential area, should be able to set speed for specific road as local setting just for myself
-unnecessary lane changes when driving multi-lane local roads. Seems to like to bounce between
-blinker when waiting at traffic lights. Seems to randomly turn on/off at random intervals. Other drivers probably think I'm idiot

With 10.3 coming I decided to stop using 10.2 today. Too many disengagements and close calls with other cars. Frankly the more I use FSD 10.2 the more I appreciate what the early beta testers went thru. When they praise Tesla for how much FSD has improved you appreciate how bad the initial beta release must have been.

I've been rather impressed. At first I thought it was going to behave a bit better, after watching youtube beta videos. But when watching those videos, you can't "feel" the jerky turns or odd brake pumping. So initially I had to lower my expectations. But after about 200 miles I have a better understanding of how it behaves and how well it does with most turns. I don't get a lot of phantom braking though, so thats different from others' experience.

Reactions: impastu
There was zero traffic around so I let FSD make a right on red. It creeps for 10 seconds with the steering wheel flailing around to totally different angles like its parallel parking or something. Car is sticking out like halfway in the intersection and its still creeping so I just hit the accelerator finally and it turned.
My hypothesis is that the turns to the left before rights are so the car can see to the left. Tesla needs more cameras, what they have is insufficient for unprotected turns or turns on red.

My car had basically no phantom braking issues until I downloaded the Beta. My first longer drive I had a few but as the days went they seem to have disappeared for the most part. I still find I’ll drive this one stretch of road and get very different results. One day it will slow down into the twenties ( speed limit us 40) and the next it will maintain the speed perfectly.

A quick question: if you disengage FSD and the hit the video icon will it log it?

Well, DirtyTesla has been using vision only for awhile, and he says 10.2 is worse thane 10.1 for phantom braking.
Could be - but I think the bigger regression is Vision. I got FCW with FSD beta turned off too (though that would use the same NN). I think the problem is with the FCW that is part of Vision, basic AP. You probably know this, but, this is part of car’s basic safety features and included in the base configuration of the car.

Changes to NN could affect it - to the extent, NN is projecting the future path of the oncoming vehicles. But I think it’s mostly procedural code, that does not properly account for curvature of the road.

Reactions: jebinc
Could be - but I think the bigger regression is Vision. I got FCW with FSD beta turned off too (though that would use the same NN). I think the problem is with the FCW that is part of Vision, basic AP. You probably know this, but, this is part of car’s basic safety features and included in the base configuration of the car.

Changes to NN could affect it - to the extent, NN is projecting the future path of the oncoming vehicles. But I think it’s mostly procedural code, that does not properly account for curvature of the road.
During AI day, they showed the monte carlo planning in action, and it was making a hairpin turn. It could be you are seeing that it is worse than the public release, but you don't know what it was like on 10.1.

Was the turn facing the hill or the valley ? I get phantom braking when i’m headed directly towards the cut wall of the hill.
Don't know since it was a 2d representation. But I think curvature is taken into account; that would be part of comfort for the path.

Still, you don't know how 10.1 would have handled your situation. Hopefully, 10.3 will correct phantom braking.

Don't know since it was a 2d representation. But I think curvature is taken into account; that would be part of comfort for the path.

Still, you don't know how 10.1 would have handled your situation. Hopefully, 10.3 will correct phantom braking.
I think the planner and FCW are independent. FCW exists as an independent module and is active all the time. It would be one of the inputs to the planner.

So, when you are using AP/FSD, you don’t always get FCW - but you get sudden braking. If you were not using AP/FSD, you’d get FCW.

I don’t think FCW module is taking curvature into account (at least not we’ll enough) and that’s the issue.

Yes, may be it is worse in 10.2 and could get better in 10.3. But, there are a lot of threads here talking about phantom braking issues with vision only cars - i’m going by that.

Reactions: jebinc and Phlier
I wasn't expecting such a big regression from AP in terms of FCW / phantom braking / sudden slowdowns.

DirtyTesla said he noticed a regression in 10.2 regarding phantom braking.
I have phantom braking when I'm not on the highway pretty much once every mile sometimes more frequently which makes for terrible drives.

Reactions: impastu