Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got 10.3 earlier today.. very jittery drive with fsd.. lots of indecision at turns.. does not recognize speedbreakers.. very rough.
Very stressful and uncomfortable drive.. I felt like an accident could happen anytime. I turned it off midway and drove back home.

Visualizations are great.. look really nice

Folks who don't have it.. your not missing much.

Across my first drive (2019 X LR) on a mix of state highways and city streets I was unable to activate Autosteer or enter FSD at any point over the 5 mile drive, where I typically could use Autosteer on 9.x.

Configured properly (I think) in the Autopilot menu including accepting the T&Cs.

Will try again next.

Disappointing/crap release. Will not use FSD again until v11, me thinks. Until then, I will just enjoy the new visualizations and yoke improvements. Using FSD beta is causing too much wear and tear to my Plaid to use right now. And, super buggy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier
Well then you'll probably need to wait until at least 11.x
One thing I have learned is you need to get used to how FSD drives because its very different. There are turns that I initially disengaged that I don't now simply because I understand FSD better. Nerve wracking still....yup!
That is true. I have to learn to get used to it, but I will wait a little longer. I disengaged many times by accident because the steering wheel will do unpredictable movements when turning.

When I drive, I turn the steering then usually.holding it in that position, and use the go pedal to steer. I don't make a lot of steering wheel movements. I press the go pedal to cause understeer or ease off to continue my lane with little to no steering wheel movements. I feel it's smoother for me. FSD is very jerky by trying to keep center which is uncomfortable for me.

That said, AP was also really nerve wrecking in early 2018. It got better once the wider front camera was used. I trust AP (not NoAP yet) so I hope by next year I would be using FSD 99% of the time like how I am using AP now. I can't wait.

So, the beta successfully installed on my car. New release notes listed, and the vehicle's software version is listed as FSD Beta 10.3 (2021.36.5.2). But the FSD beta autopilot options are totally missing and I still have the "Opt in" button". Has this issue been seen before? Have tried 2-button reset, as well as powering off the vehicle in settings, no luck..

So, the beta successfully installed on my car. New release notes listed, and the vehicle's software version is listed as FSD Beta 10.3 (2021.36.5.2). But the FSD beta autopilot options are totally missing and I still have the "Opt in" button". Has this issue been seen before? Have tried 2-button reset, as well as powering off the vehicle in settings, no luck..

Did your safety score disappear from the mobile app? I know many are reporting that once they get the beta, their SS disappears from the app.

I just got 10.3 this morning. It seems the car thinks cars in front of me are closer than they are. This is a very dangerous proble

I just got two or three consecutive FCWs within 10 seconds @40 MPH for a car that was 100s of feet in front of me (FSD was not engaged). So far in front, it was almost out of range of the display on the screen. Then about 2 minutes later I got a "take control immediately, road departure detected" and there was absolutely no sensible reason that should have occurred. So something in the 10.3 update is kind of crap. I may just turn off Beta until this gets better, I know that's counter intuitive to what FSD needs but still.

I just got 10.3 this morning. It seems the car thinks cars in front of me are closer than they are. This is a very dangerous problem. The automatic emergency braking went off when I was following someone normally. If someone was behind me it would have definitely caused an accident. I disabled it. Also cruise disables frequently and forward collision warnings go off constantly so much that I had to disable them. Please be careful especially with the automatic emergency braking issue. It felt like I actually hit something it broke so strongly. I would advise turning it off if you are on this beta.
I am having similar problems: Experienced automatic emergency braking 3-4 times this morning. This is really bad. In addition the Autopilot keeps disengaging after a few seconds. Even TACC is refusing to work. :(

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I am having similar problems: Experienced automatic emergency braking 3-4 times this morning. This is really bad. In addition the Autopilot keeps disengaging after a few seconds. Even TACC is refusing to work. :(

Yes, same here, all FSD and even regular ole cruise control is now unavailable right after all the weird behavior. I emailed the beta team so they know it's the car not me (as if they read them).

I can't verify that this works but it's clear that lots of folks here are having the problem. Hopefully this is a solution (until a new version is released).

View attachment 725034

So it sounds like the car has to go to sleep to get out of its broken mode, as suggested above. And sounds like the two-button reset doesn’t clear what needs to be cleared, like falling asleep does. I assume cabin overheat protection might need to be off too…guess it depends on ambient temps and sun angle…might be ok most places now at this time of year.

When I drive, I turn the steering then usually.holding it in that position, and use the go pedal to steer.
That is a very bold driving strategy for public roads.

I think you are just saying to like to set a proper initial steering angle and then let it slowly unwind at an appropriate pace of your choosing (with variable resistance applied by your hands) through a given turn, without jerky corrections?

Last edited:

The issue has been resolved after letting the car sleeping for about 20 minutes.

That is true. I have to learn to get used to it, but I will wait a little longer. I disengaged many times by accident because the steering wheel will do unpredictable movements when turning.

When I drive, I turn the steering then usually.holding it in that position, and use the go pedal to steer. I don't make a lot of steering wheel movements. I press the go pedal to cause understeer or ease off to continue my lane with little to no steering wheel movements. I feel it's smoother for me. FSD is very jerky by trying to keep center which is uncomfortable for me.

That said, AP was also really nerve wrecking in early 2018. It got better once the wider front camera was used. I trust AP (not NoAP yet) so I hope by next year I would be using FSD 99% of the time like how I am using AP now. I can't wait.
I found instead of holding the steering wheel try letting the wheel slide thru your hands. That will result in fewer disengagements but lets you grab the wheel instantly.

Disappointing/crap release. Will not use FSD again until v11, me thinks. Until then, I will just enjoy the new visualizations and yoke improvements. Using FSD beta is causing too much wear and tear to my Plaid to use right now. And, super buggy.
Oddly enough, I think the FSD visualization is what I looked more forward to than actual FSD. I find it easier to drive myself than to worry about doing extra things to satisfy nags, especially in the flat straight road area I live in. It's interesting to see computer's perception of the surrounding world though.

I thought that this happened to everyone. When I first got Beta my safety score disappeared. Haven't seen it since. I did get the android update to the Tesla app a couple of days ago and it didn't show there either. Just an FYI...
It's still collecting the data. I purposely did a bit of aggressive driving the other day and saw it show up in teslafi

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Drove with 10.3 this morning, boost and smoothness (less jerky turns) are better than 10.2, but they changed something with the lane detection network, so the car is driving in non-lanes / shoulders more often. It feels like the car is searching for the lane more often.

It could also be that it was raining / sprinkling this morning.