Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To resolve an issue with my telescoping steering wheel that magically happened to occur right after Beta the other day...Service repushed the 5.2 update to my car
Did that actually fix the steering wheel issue, 'cause it kinda sounds like some gearing got stripped from the way you described what was happening.

Man... they can fix anything with software these days. ;)

Reactions: jebinc
I sent some feedback to the beta team via email .. if anyone else feels the same way you might want to chime in too (the more people who say, the more likely Tesla are to change this). Basically my ask was "manual steering input should revert the car entirely to manual control".
A few of us have emailed the team with this request (it’s one of just 2-3 emails I have sent to them with specific issues/requests). While they added a some configurability in this release, they did not add that.

I suspect it has to do with how this would mean a change in behavior when in NOA and whether they want it to affect that (leaving the vehicle in TACC after steering disengagement seems to be something that Tesla is philosophically married to, and has been for years even though it kind of makes no sense and many would prefer that it not work that way). That probably has something to do with not wanting to inadvertently brake check people on the freeway (I still think it should be an option!). But surface streets seem totally different than the freeway scenario.

Anyway, people who want the option to disable TACC upon steering disengagement - certainly consider emailing them. It might work. Though probably not. They probably don’t much care what we want.

Reactions: nvx1977
Is it just me, or do others find the way you can disengage FSD to be troublesome?

Seems to me there are three ways to disengage:
  1. Push the shifter up
  2. Hit the brakes
  3. Manual steering input
Mostly, this is just like NoA, so its consistent (which is good). However, what I dont like at all is that #3 (manual steering input) does not disengage basic TACC, so FSD stops controlling the car, but it continues plowing ahead. I can see that being logical for NoA on the freeway (where the car suddenly slowing down might be dangerous), but that's different from city streets.

When FSD goes wrong, it mostly for me is because the car goes in the wrong direction, and my reaction of to take control of steering to correct this .. but of course this leaves TACC enabled, which I find unexpected (and dangerous). My feeling is FSD is better off treating manual steering input as a complete return to manual driving (like hitting the brakes).
Send an email to the BETA team with your comment/suggestion.

Anyway, people who want the option to disable TACC upon steering disengagement - certainly consider emailing them. It might work. Though probably not. They probably don’t much care what we want.
Possibly .. my take is that this should either by dependent on mode (NoA vs FSD) or, if that ceases to exist as they merge the two stacks, it should be speed based.

Last edited:
if that ceases to exist as they merge the two stacks, it should be speed based.

I think this makes sense. Worth noting however that deceleration g force is a bit higher on surface streets than on the freeway, since it's power limited at higher speeds, so you can hit maximum power quite easily, with relatively little force, at freeway speed; F = P / v. So you slow more quickly on surface streets at lower speeds (obviously Tesla puts a substantial limit on power (probably once a certain deceleration (force) is reached they cap it) at low speed, otherwise the stops would be very abrupt, haha) which I guess could end up with people hitting you?

Intuitively though, I still think it makes sense for it to be speed based (continue in TACC above a certain speed, disengage entirely below a certain speed).

I think the other argument against this would be mode confusion. It's probably better for it to be one way or the other. Requires an automation expert to deem what is safest I guess.

I definitely want it to be configurable though (and I would set it to completely disengage in all cases whenever I intervene with steering)!

Reactions: drtimhill