Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone noticed that the car turns left from the main lane when it's supposed to enter the center lane before turning? Below is a picture of the problem area near where I live. The car seems confused and slows down and then speeds up. It never enters the middle lane and then makes a sharp left from the main lane. I imagine if another car actually entered the middle lane it would get cut off.

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 4.13.57 PM.png

Has anyone noticed that the car turns left from the main lane when it's supposed to enter the center lane before turning? Below is a picture of the problem area near where I live. The car seems confused and slows down and then speeds up. It never enters the middle lane and then makes a sharp left from the main lane. I imagine if another car actually entered the middle lane it would get cut off.

View attachment 725781
Yes, I don’t think they have included how to handle the turn lane in the planner, yet.

Reactions: Phlier
Has anyone noticed that the car turns left from the main lane when it's supposed to enter the center lane before turning?
I've encountered the opposite problem of FSD Beta traveling in the center turn lane for too long before the turn. I believe it depends on the state, e.g., 200 feet for turning from the center turn lane and 50 feet for turning into it while some states like Michigan prohibits turning into them.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow

View attachment 725781

My car will enter a "suicide" lane to make left turns.

Reactions: jebinc and impastu
Zach says 150k cars are using safety scores now. Thats a good proxy for # of US customers who have purchased/subscribed to FSD !
This histogram from Stats iOS app was shared just before FSD Beta 10.2 rollout:
october 10 safety score histogram.png

Directly applying those percentages to 150k would suggest FSD Beta grew by 18k participants with 10.2 and 26k with 10.3. The relative sizes of 99 vs 100 is 1.4x, and that does roughly match up with Teslascope+TeslaFi numbers (636 on 10.2 and 1648 on 10.3.x -- 1.6x increase).

If the FSD Beta population is indeed around 44k, then since October 11th, on average there's been 3k participants added each day. Of course we can scale back the number for more "above average" scores, so discounting by a factor of 3 for ~14k participants would be an average 1k/day.

Is that middle lane called a “suicide” lane? I don’t think I’ve heard that before. It’s interesting that it will do it for you but not for others. Maybe I will test it in a different location and see how it behaves. Might just be this specific location for some reason.
It’s called that here in Austin because that’s exactly what it is. People going in both direction believe it’s their lane....madness. I’m not sure how FSD will solve this when you have to turn and forty cars are in the suicide lane.

Reactions: impastu
I just drove 10.3.1. It's an improvement in some areas for sure. First, the FSD Disabled bug is gone, at least on my car. Putting it in Park no longer disables AP. Second, once in a traffic circle it's doing much better than 10.2, OTH it still is too hesitant to enter the roundabout. Phantom braking is improved over 10.2. It still phantom brakes on the same road it used too, but instead of slowing down a lot, it only slows down a couple of mph and then continues. It's doing great at traffic signals. It's way too hesitant at stop signs, except for one that it tried to run after swinging part way into the oncoming traffic lane. That part was not good. Entering the freeway on a left turn was much improved.

This histogram from Stats iOS app was shared just before FSD Beta 10.2 rollout:
View attachment 725791

Directly applying those percentages to 150k would suggest FSD Beta grew by 18k participants with 10.2 and 26k with 10.3. The relative sizes of 99 vs 100 is 1.4x, and that does roughly match up with Teslascope+TeslaFi numbers (636 on 10.2 and 1648 on 10.3.x -- 1.6x increase).

If the FSD Beta population is indeed around 44k, then since October 11th, on average there's been 3k participants added each day. Of course we can scale back the number for more "above average" scores, so discounting by a factor of 3 for ~14k participants would be an average 1k/day.
I very much doubt we can apply those percentages to the 150k number. People on Teslascope & Teslafi are definitely people who are more interested and involved (and like me not afraid to give login details to an unknown 3rd party). As you can see from the total numbers only a small % of total Tesla owners are on Teslafi/Teslascope.

I'm beginning to think many of my problems but certainly not all are map related. If I had to grade FSD I''d give it a "D" where I live. Does anyone think a functional robtaxi fleet will a thing in less then 2 years? And that is assuming no snow areas.
  1. Consistently fails on rotaries but not just due to interventions but disengagements just trying to drive around the rotary. And I always need to nudge the car to enter the rotoary since there are always inpatient drivers behind me. 30 seconds is just too long to make people wait.
  2. Phantom slow downs at least every half mile if there is any traffic coming towards me.
  3. Here is a nasty problem that has happened multiple times. The car stops 50 yards from the light. No idea why. The circle with the green X is roughly where it tries to stop. It doesn't even stop in a lane just stops and sorta creeps. Any ideas why? Once I finally get the car in the correct lane it immediately moves into the wrong lane. Then instead of getting back into the correct lane for a left hand turn it goes right. Bizarre.

RT 110 Lights.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Phlier and impastu
Here is a nasty problem that has happened multiple times. The car stops 50 yards from the light. No idea why. The circle with the green X is roughly where it tries to stop. It doesn't even stop in a lane just stops and sorta creeps. Any ideas why?
There has been speculation that OpenStreets map is used and correcting that will correct such problems. I don't think anyone has been able to definitively verify that.

After a couple of weeks using 10.2 - and one day using 10.3.1 - here are my overall impressions of FSD Beta:
  • Steering can be erratic and jerky on unmarked roads. Sometimes it hugs the right side of the road (as it should), other times it drifts into the middle of the road, startling oncoming drivers. It does a good job navigating around parked cars.
  • 'Protected' turns (green turn arrow, or right turn on green) are generally quite good. On occasion it will struggle to find the correct lane when completing a left turn, but overall these turns are relatively smooth and humanlike.
  • 'Unprotected' turns (at intersections without lights, or without a 4 way stop sign) are pretty painful. The car often stops well short of stop signs and creeps up slowly. It will be extremely cautious before making an unprotected left or right, waiting far longer than necessary and sometimes stopping abruptly after beginning to turn. I get it - this is an area where they need to be incredibly cautious. But it means that more often than not I just disengage so as not to frustrate other drivers.
  • 'Micro' phantom braking is definitely a thing. Unlike TACC on regular AP (which is quite smooth), FSD beta will 'tap the brakes' fairly regularly during routine driving on marked roads, usually with no obvious reason for doing so. I wonder if this is the switch to Tesla Vision (I have a radar equipped Model 3).
  • Most 'lane changes to follow route' make sense, although occasionally it will change lanes unnecessarily and then immediately change back. I presume these are mapping issues.
  • Apart from all of the above, it can also perform scary maneuvers when you least expect it! This morning it swerved over the yellow line when driving on a well marked two lane road (I intervened and fortunately there were no oncoming cars, but I have no idea why it did that). It will also sometimes try to drive around vehicles that are waiting in traffic (occasionally crossing a yellow line to do so).
Here's how I would describe FSD beta today - if there were no other cars on the road (think 'Last Man on Earth'!), it would likely complete most trips in my suburban area with no interventions. It would (eventually) complete all turns, and would be highly unlikely to crash into stationary objects or leave the roadway. The challenge is that you also have to:
  • Ensure other cars don't crash into you. Phantom braking, overly hesitant turns at intersections, drifting into the center of unmarked roads, could all cause other vehicles to hit your car.
  • Not p*ss off everyone around you. I feel the need to balance beta testing/data collection with an obligation to follow the norms of human driving and not inconvenience/frustrate those around me. Sitting 30 seconds waiting to make a right turn on red when there is plenty of room to turn is not fair to the people waiting behind me. Nor is slowing down at a yellow light when there is plenty of time to make it, or stopping 5 feet before a stop sign, to name just a few examples.
Despite all this, I'm still extremely grateful to have the beta and will continue testing and reporting issues to Tesla. This is an incredibly complex problem they are trying to solve! I am hopeful we continue to see improvements in the areas above, and they haven't hit some kind of 'local maximum' that will prevent them from addressing these problems with the current hardware/software stack.

1. Consistently fails on rotaries but not just due to interventions but disengagements just trying to drive around the rotary.
My advice is to disengage before roundabouts. Personally, I suspect that a dedicated roundabout routine is not implemented in 10.3.1. I suggest that it presently treats roundabouts as normal turns.

I find that even without approaching vehicles, slight slowdowns occur on uphill grades.
2. Phantom slow downs at least every half mile if there is any traffic coming towards me.

Reactions: impastu
  • Not p*ss off everyone around you. I feel the need to balance beta testing/data collection with an obligation to follow the norms of human driving and not inconvenience/frustrate those around me. Sitting 30 seconds waiting to make a right turn on red when there is plenty of room to turn is not fair to the people waiting behind me. Nor is slowing down at a yellow light when there is plenty of time to make it, or stopping 5 feet before a stop sign, to name just a few examples.

You’re not helping anything by letting FSD do its thing. Just press that accelerator and intervene constantly - it will be just as good for data collection. If it’s not behaving correctly, correct it.

The only time I don’t do this is when there is no one else around and I’m specifically comparing (for my own information, with video to make sure I am being impartial in my judgements - it’s useless to Tesla) how the beta does in certain scenarios compared to prior versions.

Yes, this means I intervene a lot. Constantly! But there’s zero downside to it as far as Tesla is concerned; it is not like they are going to be overwhelmed by too many interventions - I would imagine the more, the better.

Last edited:
When I click the "Video Record" button (View attachment 725819) there is no feedback that a video clip was successfully saved/sent. Should I expect to see confirmation? Like "ok" or something like that?
On the 3/Y a little confirmation pops up under the toy car in the FSD display for a few seconds. I don't know if it does that on the S/X.