Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just speculating because my experience with roundabouts is that FSD beta is terrible at entering, traversing and exiting them. It's easily its worst feature just behind unprotected left turns. In my experience with 10.2 and 10.3.1, it can barely do a small one lane roundabout if there is any traffic and multilane roundabouts are virtually impossible.

It seems to me that FSD beta thinks that a roundabout is just an unrelated sequence consisting of an unprotected right turn, a curved road and then another a right turn. It even signals as such. It also has no idea what speed to use.
What you are saying makes complete sense why it signals one way and then another and struggles.

As users of beta how do we help FSD to learn in roundabouts ?

I pretty much disengaged on all of them today

Reactions: zigmeister
One road close from my home doesn't have road paint lines on the right side, instead there's cement barricade. Car seems to drive uncomfortably close to the right edge, especially as there's some amount of vegetation growing over the barricade that could scrape the car.

What you are saying makes complete sense why it signals one way and then another and struggles.

As users of beta how do we help FSD to learn in roundabouts ?

I pretty much disengaged on all of them today
Have you tried telling it helpful tips and words of encouragement as you approach the roundabout?

Here in New England, we have several types of "roundabouts." There are gigantic ones that are incorporated into exit off/on ramps. These are often 2-lane roundabouts (we call them rotaries here).

Example:

Then we have smaller ones for local roads, which can be one lane or two.

Examples:

Finally we have really tiny roundabouts on neighborhood streets:

It really depends on the traffic level at the time, but most rotaries/roundabouts on city/highway roads are quite scary to attempt with FSD, mainly because it's too timid to get into the rotary. This is similar to NoA not being aggressive enough to wedge itself into a high-traffic lane. Yes, the rotary has the right of way, but if you don't wedge in, you never get in, and the people behind you get impatient and lean on their horn.

The residential/small town rotaries are doable by FSD beta, but most of the time, there is a ton of hesitation or even full stops before entering a mostly or completely empty rotary. I also have one of these rotaries at the top of a hill, so the car has zero visibility on the rotary until it crests the hill. Typically the car will be going full speed and I have to slam on the brakes or the car will hit the center circle. Manually slowing the car via scroll wheel helps it see the rotary at the last second and makes it jerk hard to the right to start the turn.

@EVNow yes.. they are simple rotaries, no multi lane with exits - @jabloomf1230 not like that one. As the roads around here were all built in last 20 years and therefore much more logical and well marked with lane markings. As a former resident of MA… I can only say Godspeed to beta drivers out there !!

There are a few more complex rotaries in downtown Raleigh durham I can try on but honestly Til I saw less scary incidents on more local roads I didn’t want to even attempt. Maybe can find an adventure in Chapel Hill with one to test out - need to report bugs near where that NHTSA lady who is very critical of FSD must have been testing..!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: impastu and nvx1977
Do any of them look like this?

I'm curious because this one is typical of multilane roundabouts near my NY house.
Wow, that one has quite a mix of features. Depending on going 'East|West' (more traffic & more lanes ) or 'North|Sourth'

8q5SkxD.jpg

New beta tester with 10.3.1 (SS 99) and I am impressed, but it's got a ways to go.
Took a 100 mile drive today, and it completed the first 10 miles segment without a disengagement. Then went on the two lane highway and noticed I couldn't effect following distance change with the thumb wheel. I was set to FSD-"average", and I guess that locks the following distance to about 2 seconds which was uncomfortable for me at 60+MPH. Also the car would slow down a few MPH often with oncoming traffic. Got really annoying and definitely not as smooth as Autopilot/TACC.

Anyone else experiencing this behavior?

Last edited:
This was a scary experience lol. I’m the only car with a stop sign btw

Yeah I experienced this on an similar acute angle intersection, but fortunately for me no cross traffic was coming when the car decided to proceed without creeping from 25 ft back of the intersection and with limited visibility of any cross traffic due to the crest of the hill...really sketchy

Reactions: impastu
Day 3 observations:

I am mostly driving around the Burbank-San Gabriel area. I would not be so confident in downtown LA or Hollywood/weHo with fsd.
  • Turning jerkiness: haven’t experienced a smooth turn yet. There is always at least 1 adjustments while mid turn. Even starting the turn has some hesitation or adjustment that throws off the smooth senses. Definitely an aggressive turner.
  • Turning onto a freeway on-ramp has to be the scariest thing for me. Once it completes the turn, it will go full speed to 65mph, lol. Nice touch that it will change lanes into the freeway for me. I have NoA set to confirm lane changes.
  • Phantom slowdowns: lots of instances where the car will let off the throttle or quickly pump the brakes for 1-2mph speed reduction. It’s weird. But, it seems to be consistently done in the same locations so I can cancel out the worst offenders by manually pressing on the accelerator.
  • Random lane changes: yea this one is weird. Car will change lanes into non optimal lane a mile before but also initiate the lane change in the intersection sometimes.
  • Half my disengagements are from me not wanting to piss the car behind me off: slowdown at wrong time, hesitating at a turn, etc.
  • I’m starting to find the usefulness of fsd on the streets by knowing it’s limitations. Much like AP on the freeways, it has its flaws and i will take control when I need to. In fsd city streets case, it might be when it’s about to take a turn. It’ll get me 90% of the way there. The added abilities to route around cars, react to other cars, better stoplight detection, make driving on main roads pretty useful (roads with speeds >35mph) until it gets to a turn (then I may take over depending on traffic density)

Last edited: