Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should add - there were a couple of things today that I found were pleasantly surprising.

- In a residential road, someone reversed out of the driveway in front of me. FSD handled it well by moving a little to the right, waiting for them to complete the reverse and move out before resuming. I bet the other driver couldn't tell this was FSD.
- Again in residential street with parked cars and oncoming vehicle, nicely moved to the side & waited for the oncoming car to go before resuming.

We have seen some of these on youtube, but always nice to experience in person.

I should add - there were a couple of things today that I found were pleasantly surprising.

- In a residential road, someone reversed out of the driveway in front of me. FSD handled it well by moving a little to the right, waiting for them to complete the reverse and move out before resuming. I bet the other driver couldn't tell this was FSD.
- Again in residential street with parked cars and oncoming vehicle, nicely moved to the side & waited for the oncoming car to go before resuming.

We have seen some of these on youtube, but always nice to experience in person.
I came across a utilities crew with a cop on duty, and the car cautiously crossed the yellow line to go by them. It was nothing but smooth.

I was also thinking maybe the SINGLE STACK (Elon says v11) might be better.
I don't want to be super negative, and I do think single stack may improve things on limited access roads that are already improved on surface roads, but I don't think Tesla would be delaying its release if it was on par with, much less better than, AP on the same limited access roads.

Reactions: impastu
Seems like beta FSD loads and driving reports have fallen way off in recent days. Is the “bloom off the rose 🥀 “ already? With “Smart Summon,” the “bloom” was gone even quicker. Are you all still testing, or like me, now waiting for an improved release? Discussion.
I'm still testing daily, but I think at this point, everyone has posted their experiences with it, and are just waiting for a new release so we can repeat the process.

I'm very curious about 10.4, as well as Elon's comment about it getting better rapidly going forward.

I sure hope they announce when Dojo actually comes online... Elon's comment makes me wonder if it's online right now.

Seems like beta FSD loads and driving reports have fallen way off in recent days. Is the “bloom off the rose 🥀 “ already? With “Smart Summon,” the “bloom” was gone even quicker. Are you all still testing, or like me, now waiting for an improved release? Discussion.
I use it basically every time I drIve. But I’ve also started using it the way I did AP where when I see a stopped line of cars ahead or anticipate a situation where slowing is imminent I’ll disengage to let regen go to max and then re-engage as I’m slowing to a stop to minimize brake use. Still handles most turns for me, but I’m also goosing the go pedal and taking over steering every so often. It’s AP on steroids, so I quite enjoy using it like I did AP but with the bonus of it being more capable. I did see one suggestion someone else made I wouldn’t mind: Tesla giving us a setting to let us confirm lane changes before they happen, similar to NoAP.

I use it basically every time I drIve. But I’ve also started using it the way I did AP where when I see a stopped line of cars ahead or anticipate a situation where slowing is imminent I’ll disengage to let regen go to max and then re-engage as I’m slowing to a stop to minimize brake use. Still handles most turns for me, but I’m also goosing the go pedal and taking over steering every so often. It’s AP on steroids, so I quite enjoy using it like I did AP but with the bonus of it being more capable. I did see one suggestion someone else made I wouldn’t mind: Tesla giving us a setting to let us confirm lane changes before they happen, similar to NoAP.
Very similar and try to use some of the time on every drive. However after a couple of weeks I now anticipate its weak points and often disengage before. Also being in the city I can't dilly dally around all the time without being a hindrance.

No need in posting each drive here unless I experience something different. Today worked from home and raining so I went 0 miles with 0 disengagements/interventions.o_O

Interesting corner case: bicycle-shaped traffic lights registering as green lights in visualization. Also, does the software register "no right turn" signs? I didn't trust beta not to try and turn right, so disengaged when I got to the intersection.

1635455219413.png

I put mine in the timeout corner today.

Not sure if I'll re-enable or wait.

But after a mostly smooth week, it went nuts today I was coming up to the 'T' below (red). It decided to cut the corner (blue). Was headed straight for the tree at the blue arrowhead. Disengaged. Backed up a bit and tried again. This time it crept out onto the road and bit before heading in the green arrow direction. There are trees there as well but don't remember if it was headed for one or not. There is an embankment that it probably would have been hung up on anyway. So I manually went on the red arrow. Re-engaged and all was smooth for a mile. Then coming up on another 'T' from the bottom it wanted to go the wrong way. Navigation says right but the left blinker comes on and it wants to left. Was OK for another couple miles when it didn't seem to be slowing down coming up to a red light with 5 or 6 cars in front of me. Dis-engaged fairly hard. Not a panic and maybe it would have stopped but I decided I had gotten too damn close to be still doing 55. I actually went in to see if some software had changed but it still says 10.3.1

Disengaged and drove the rest of the way manually. Flipped the FSD off switch. I do miss the visualization. So maybe I'll turn it back on but not use it. Does it still collect data if it is on but you're not using the full navigation?

Snap1.jpg

Went into Boston city limits today and.... not a great environment to test FSD if you care at all about not pissing off other drivers. The car would turn on right blinker, then left, then right, for no reason and never making a lane change. Can't handle double-parked vehicles when adjacent lane is jam-packed. Basically, maneuvering requires being within a car length of your surrounding cars, and FSD is nowhere near aggressive enough to do anything but stay in lane and wildly use the blinkers. I ended up driving manually for most of it.