Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know a trick to force check for updates? I got the email Wednesday evening but still have no update in the app or car...

Some things I've tried
  • Force closing app many times
  • Updating app (Android)
  • Rebooting phone
  • Rebooting car (with and without brake)
  • Changing update preference in car from Advanced to Standard and back
  • Hitting "Advanced" 5+ times and holding it
Just a guess, but did you try turning the car off for an hour ? The iPhone update just said "open" until I swiped down, then it said update, but can't speak to Android. You could disconnect and reconnect to wifi from the car. Lots of moving parts (bits). There's the whole disconnect all devices shown attached to the car, unplug all USB, and turn off also.

Anyone have success at 4-way stops where you don’t miss at least 1 turn because FSD beta is too timid, or do people here just drive overly aggressively? Of the few encounters with at least 2 other cars at 4-way stops today I had to use the go pedal at least twice (after 2 other cars from each of the directions of the cross street passed) and take over once (left turn) just to get through in a reasonable amount of time. Really needs to get better at going as soon as the intersection is clearing… instead it seems to panic as soon as the next cars pull up from the left and right, and ends up losing its turn again and again

That's about the only thing I have had success with using the FSD Beta, but I live in a "You go, No you go" environment so the slowness isn't so bad.

Anyone know a trick to force check for updates? I got the email Wednesday evening but still have no update in the app or car...

Some things I've tried
  • Updating app (Android)
  • Rebooting phone
These are all voodoo. You might as well think of home and tap your heels together five times.

Okay, here you are: raw 1x speed with sound. If you look closely, you can see him occasionally “intervene” by manually signaling a lane change or cancelling an automatic one using the stalk and also an occasional accelerator press. But, no apparent disengagements. What we don’t know is how many times he might have had to do this before he got a clean zero disengagement run.

Thanks. So tweeting "zero disengagments" but lots of interventions. Hm.

I'd think 10.4 would be a pretty reasonable improvement
What reason is there to think this?
Okay, here you are: raw 1x speed with sound. If you look closely, you can see him occasionally “intervene” by manually signaling a lane change or cancelling an automatic one using the stalk and also an occasional accelerator press. But, no apparent disengagements. What we don’t know is how many times he might have had to do this before he got a clean zero disengagement run.

So tweeting "zero disengagments" but lots of interventions. Hm.
Shocked, I tell you. Shocked. Never thought Whole Mars Catalog would do such a thing.

I like how at 4:50 an infuriated driver just drives around the Tesla, because the Tesla is stopped stupidly at a crosswalk recently vacated by a pedestrian.

He is doing a great job of representing Tesla owners everywhere. :rolleyes:

...because FSD beta is too timid, or do people here just drive overly aggressively?....
This sorta shows what is one of FSD's big weaknesses and may be hard to work out. We (humans) can pull up and determine that being aggressive is best, then we can pull up to the next intersection and decided to be passive. We use judgment and can adjust our aggression instantly depending on the situation around us. With FSD it seems that it is either dialed up and aggressive at all stops or dialed down and passive at all stops.

Situational judgment and passion are required when dealing with human drivers and is probably going to be hard to fine tune. Human emotion is always going to be the hardest thing to "calculate" and adjust for.

This sorta shows what is one of FSD's big weaknesses and may be hard to work out. We (humans) can pull up and determine that being aggressive is best, then we can pull up to the next intersection and decided to be passive. We use judgment and can adjust our aggression instantly depending on the situation around us. With FSD it seems that it is either dialed up and aggressive at all stops or dialed down and passive at all stops.

Situational judgment and passion are required when dealing with human drivers and is probably going to be hard to fine tune. Human emotion is always going to be the hardest thing to "calculate" and adjust for.
how many times do you get in a taxi and the driver is too fast/aggressive, or sometimes to slow? truth is, every human is different and there is not (and not should there be) a common standard/goal for FSD to emulate human behaviour.

Instead the goal of FSD should be to get you to where you want to be safely and with no danger to passengers or other road users or pedestrians. If you think this is too passive or agrresiive is largely irrelevant, over time this will be the standard.

Anyone have success at 4-way stops where you don’t miss at least 1 turn because FSD beta is too timid, or do people here just drive overly aggressively? Of the few encounters with at least 2 other cars at 4-way stops today I had to use the go pedal at least twice (after 2 other cars from each of the directions of the cross street passed) and take over once (left turn) just to get through in a reasonable amount of time. Really needs to get better at going as soon as the intersection is clearing… instead it seems to panic as soon as the next cars pull up from the left and right, and ends up losing its turn again and again
Yes I've lost my turn several times when it should have gone.

Some things I've tried
  • Updating app (Android)
  • Rebooting phone

For the app, you have to wait till it is actually available on the google play store, then it should automatically trigger as an available update.

For the car, going into the software tab in the car will trigger a server check for updates. It tells you the date/time it last checked.

Reactions: Cherry Wine
I think someone upthread said they were doing a 'hey google' to record notes when they had an incident. Tried searching on that and came up empty. Anyone know how that was done. I tried something like "hey google record xxxxxxx" but that doesn't work
As I've never used Google assistant, I'm making assumptions here, and you may know what "they" say about that, but here goes...
Assumption 1: Upthread individual is likely using an Android phone that listens for "Hey Google" without any physical input.
Assumption 2: You are likely pushing the voice input button in your vehicle in spite of the fact that there is no Android/Google integration in Teslas.
If those assumptions are wrong, you should probably try an Android/Google forum for information on how to use the feature.
how many times do you get in a taxi and the driver is too fast/aggressive, or sometimes to slow? truth is, every human is different and there is not (and not should there be) a common standard/goal for FSD to emulate human behaviour.

Instead the goal of FSD should be to get you to where you want to be safely and with no danger to passengers or other road users or pedestrians. If you think this is too passive or agrresiive is largely irrelevant, over time this will be the standard.
I think it becomes relevant if the FSD literally sits at an intersection for a certain amount of time (an hour? a day?) because it's too passive. At some point, it's no longer getting you there, safe or otherwise. I think the point of the post you were replying to is that FSD may have to "read the room" regardless of how it does so compared to how we humans do.
I'm not so sure it helps Tesla when you let the vehicle do the wrong thing. In this case, sitting there is the wrong thing, and touching the accelerator is all that is necessary to enforce the right thing.

I'm not so sure it helps Tesla when you let the vehicle do the wrong thing. In this case, sitting there is the wrong thing, and touching the accelerator is all that is necessary to enforce the right thing.

While I agree that doing nothing gives Tesla nothing to work with, what's uploaded to Tesla will be dependent on the triggers they have defined (I think there are around 250 of them as of a few months ago). If a manual acceleration event at a 4-way stop is not a trigger, nothing will be sent to Tesla.

I've been monitoring my network traffic. I intervene often with FSD, and on some days, nothing is sent to the mothership despite those interventions. Pressing AP snapshot guarantees a giant upstream push from the car. And then some days without any pressing of the AP snapshot, the car will upload a ton of data, indicating that something in my drive hit a predefined trigger(s).

I remotely unstuck your internet connection. You were low on network fluid
I still can't find the dipstick on my router! Damn! Got a paper towel out to wipe the dipstick off and can't find it! Can't find one on my Tesla either. Oh well, guess I'll have to wait and ask the technician where it is next week when I take it in to have the catalytic converter changed.

I had a super scary incident where the car PURPOSELY tried to run into another car. (10.3.1) I noticed after that my GPS location was completely off. Instead of being on the road it was like 1/2 block into where the buildings are. Maybe it thought it was trying to get back on the road? I was driving straight and it literally turned towards a car coming out of a side street and accelerated. Luckily I had both hands fully on the wheel and jerked it back into my lane, but if I had waited even another second it would have crashed into the car. It did not recognize it was headed into a car which is odd because that is something normally you can rely on that it sees. I reset twice and it was still not locating properly. Talked to Tesla service and they resent me the software update again to reinstall. It appears location is proper again, but for now I am turning off FSD Beta until the next update comes. Video reported it, and also reported it to the FSD Beta email address. [email protected]
ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS THEY ARE RIGHT. THIS WAS THE WORST THING AT THE WRONG TIME. EVERYBODY KEEP YOUR HANDS ON THE WHEEL AT ALL TIMES AND BE SAFE!

While I agree that doing nothing gives Tesla nothing to work with, what's uploaded to Tesla will be dependent on the triggers they have defined (I think there are around 250 of them as of a few months ago). If a manual acceleration event at a 4-way stop is not a trigger, nothing will be sent to Tesla.

I've been monitoring my network traffic. I intervene often with FSD, and on some days, nothing is sent to the mothership despite those interventions. Pressing AP snapshot guarantees a giant upstream push from the car. And then some days without any pressing of the AP snapshot, the car will upload a ton of data, indicating that something in my drive hit a predefined trigger(s).
While I didn't indicate as much in the post you replied to, perhaps because I thought it could be inferred, an individual sitting at a stop sign while it is said individual's turn for so long that other drivers go out of turn isn't only not helping Tesla, it's also not helping the other drivers, not helping traffic in general, and not helping the individual in question. For all of these reasons, hitting the accelerator is the appropriate action. Because the only reasons I can see someone not doing so are that they don't know they have the option or they think sitting there is helping Tesla, those seemed like the relevant things to explicitly pointed out.
Sorry "Brake lights"
Now that we know what you are talking about, I think there is anecdotal evidence that the fsd beta does react to brake lights, however, it slows down so often for unapparent reasons, that I'm not convinced that anecdotal evidence is relevant. OTOH, it could be that it thinks it sees brake lights when it doesn't, and it could be trying to react to them.

Reactions: nvx1977
If FSD doesn't react instantly when it's my turn at a 4 way, I just goose the accelerator a little and take my turn. Once you get it rolling through the stop sign it picks right up and drives. I actually prefer that it errs on the slow side since it is so easy for the driver to override. Seems like a small thing to occasionally have to press the accelerator. Much better than occasionally having to stomp on the brake!

My biggest issue so far is on one particular street close to my house, it often gets the bike lane confused with a driving lane. Not surprising the bike lanes are so large here that human drivers often make the same mistake.