Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took FSD beta for my first drive in Los Angeles traffic. It's not quite ready for that. Trying to make a left when there's a solid line of oncoming cars is just not possible.

Also when making a left when the two left lanes both turn - it tried to zig-zig all over the place choosing a lane to turn into. I need to take it out in less traffic, but even at 2am in LA is "busy traffic" most places
It also doesn't recognize the proclivity of LA drivers to treat lights that are turning red as a suggestion.

I hate when people conflate determination of fault with safe behavior. It's just not a good idea to cross lanes through an intersection like that. Don't do it. Turn into the innermost available lane from where you started and end up where other drivers expect, even (especially!) the ones not paying attention.
You are right that this is looser in California. We also have idiots on motorcycles that think splitting lanes at 70mph is okay.

Sorry to evoke your hate. :oops:

• Funny
Reactions: Phlier and jebinc
No. It is a T intersection. There are no cars making a right from opposite direction.
Aren't those tread ruts I see in the field/grass/driveway/whatever immediately opposite the road you're on? Seems like it would be better stated that there are "very few" cars making a right from the opposite direction.

I guess I don't understand the concern here. The car is driving the way I do, and the way almost everyone I know drives. There's nothing weird or unsafe or unexpected about this algorithm.

Aren't those tread ruts I see in the field/grass/driveway/whatever immediately opposite the road you're on? Seems like it would be better stated that there are "very few" cars making a right from the opposite direction.

They did install a parking lot in that grassy area. But like I said, there are traffic lights to regulate traffic. Certainly if a car were making a right turn, I would turn into the left lane first. But there was no car turning when I used FSD Beta. Also, I would just wait for the car to finish their right turn.

I guess I don't understand the concern here. The car is driving the way I do, and the way almost everyone I know drives. There's nothing weird or unsafe or unexpected about this algorithm.

It was not unsafe or weird. I am just saying it did not make the turn like I am used to. FSD Beta stayed in the left lane whereas I would immediately move over to the right lane.

How do you run FSD? set up your destination? You enter the address to the map and turn NOA on ( becomes blue rectangle) there and then start AP ?
Or NOA being blue is not necessary?

I enter a destination in the nav and then activate AP with a double tap. It automatically turns on NOA on city streets (FSD Beta).

I am not aware of that driving rule. I always turn into the right lane at that intersection.
This is from NY. But most states have these rules.

LEFT TURN FROM ONE-WAY ROAD INTO ONE-WAY ROAD:

Move into the left lane when you prepare to turn. If the road you enter has two lanes, you must turn into its left lane. See the example below.

LEFT TURN FROM TWO-WAY ROAD INTO FOUR-LANE HIGHWAY:

Approach the turn from the right half of the roadway closest to the center. Enter the left lane, to the right of the center line. When traffic permits, you can move out of the left lane.

How do you run FSD? set up your destination? You enter the address to the map and turn NOA on ( becomes blue rectangle) there and then start AP ?
Or NOA being blue is not necessary?

NOA is not necessary. I have my NOA turned off by default in the settings, so when I start FSD, NOA button is still gray. If part of my drive is highway, I may tap the NOA button, but not always. NOA sucks where I live.

Reactions: asterothe
A lot of roads are laid out where you must turn into the far lane in order to immediately turn into a driveway or on-ramp or something, there just isn't enough room for a proper lane change without missing the turn. I try my best to follow the rule but I will bend/break it when needed, and I guess I'd expect FSD to do that too.

Yeah, that's wrong. A car making an otherwise-legal right turn on red from the opposite direction will be turning into that lane, so you're increasing the chance of an accident needlessly. Most states have explicit laws to this effect, but just in general the car is doing the right thing here.
Yeah, but at least here in NJ, that turn on red would be illegal. Turn on red is only allowed with no traffic.

I am as big a Tesla fanboy as there is. Just got 10.3 this afternoon. I am so bummed to say that over the last couple of hours I have found that this iteration of autopilot is utterly worthless on West Los Angeles city streets, and requires constant, aggressive intervention. Really shockingly terrible even in mundane situations - I don't mean "terrible" in a relative sense, since I have no experience with any other FSD system - but simply experientially terrible. As optimistic and excited as I have been, I have a very hard time imagining how it gets from this state to being worthwhile for any practical purpose, at least here. Still love it on LA freeways especially in stop and go traffic, where it is a huge benefit.

I am as big a Tesla fanboy as there is. Just got 10.3 this afternoon. I am so bummed to say that over the last couple of hours I have found that this iteration of autopilot is utterly worthless on West Los Angeles city streets, and requires constant, aggressive intervention. Really shockingly terrible even in mundane situations - I don't mean "terrible" in a relative sense, since I have no experience with any other FSD system - but simply experientially terrible. As optimistic and excited as I have been, I have a very hard time imagining how it gets from this state to being worthwhile for any practical purpose, at least here. Still love it on LA freeways especially in stop and go traffic, where it is a huge benefit.

This is why safety score was also heavily influenced by your driving environment. grats for getting such a high score in LA. but now you're suffering for it.

Last edited:
Did a drive into Long Beach today and the car did well for the most part. Drove on a really curvy road and it handled most of it like a champ. A bunch of the normal little interventions (hitting the go pedal when it hesitates, mostly). A couple of big ones. One was on a left turn where it felt like the car was going to cut the left too sharply which I was worried would result in me heading for the car in the opposing lane, so I took over early to avoid scaring anyone. Another was on that curvy road where unexpectedly the car did a little dive towards the opposing lane, I would hope the car would have caught itself, but I wasn’t going to gamble and hope on it, so I took over way before it could possibly cross the center line.

Really enjoying use of the Beta. The most annoying thing is the Beta’s strange fascination with changing lanes in the wrong direction as it gets within a half mile or so of an upcoming turn. Instead of staying in the left or right lane when a left or right turn is coming up, it will occasionally try to get into an adjacent lane in the wrong direction for no apparent reason. It isn’t a speed based decision either like I first thought, since I’ve had it happen when the adjacent lane is moving slower and when there is no car in front of me. Just a really weird and annoying behavior. I just keep flicking the turn signal stalk in the opposite direction when it signals for a lane change to cancel it, but occasionally it doesn’t work to cancel and I have to use the wheel to stop it while the signal keeps going and I play a stupid game of flicking the turn signal stalk right and left in a fight to stop the damn signal, and it turns on the right signal, then the left, then the right, and then I finally cancel it while the guy behind me is probably sure I’m drunk.

Lane change confirmations for Beta please.

I forgot to mention:

FSD Beta also did a weird thing of moving to the left lane to make a right turn. It moved over to the left lane as if to pass a car in front and then immediately moved over to the right lane again before making the right turn.
Yep. That’s a really annoying thing and I can’t figure out why it’s doing it. You can cancel the lane change by hitting the opposite direction on the turn stalk, which is what I do, but every so often it doesn’t work for some reason so I have to override using the wheel. Gonna send in an email to complain about the behavior.

Yep. That’s a really annoying thing and I can’t figure out why it’s doing it. You can cancel the lane change by hitting the opposite direction on the turn stalk, which is what I do, but every so often it doesn’t work for some reason so I have to override using the wheel. Gonna send in an email to complain about the behavior.
FSD Beta actually did the lane change so quickly, I did not have time to cancel with the stalk. It just moved over immediately with no warning.

I think there might have been a car in front so FSD beta was trying to pass the car. Except that my right turn was coming up in like 500 ft so it really did not make sense to move into the left lane.

Reactions: JeremyJ
FSD Beta actually did the lane change so quickly, I did not have time to cancel with the stalk. It just moved over immediately with no warning.

I think there might have been a car in front so FSD beta was trying to pass the car. Except that my turn was coming up in like 500 ft so it really did not make sense to move into the left lane.
I guess I just expect it now, so I’m always ready on the gun when it happens. I also don’t think its speed based, because I’ve had it happen when the adjacent lane is slower and when there is no car in front of me. It’s just a really, really weird decision.