Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Oregon, we have a lot of lights that have a left turn lane at an intersection, that in addition to cycling through green, yellow, red, goes into a blinking yellow state while cars coming from the other direction have a green light. The blinking yellow means you can turn left, but watch out, as the oncoming cars do not have to yield for you.

When I have FSD enabled, my M3 stops at the blinking yellow, and won't proceed unless I press on the pedal, even if there are no cars to be seen coming in the other direction.

Have any others seen this behavior, or the correct behavior?

Driving in the Boston area, one thing that’s annoying with FSD beta is how it’ll aggressively accelerate when in a straight line or midway through a turn when it doesn’t need to. When in a straight line, and in traffic, sometimes it aggressively accelerates then aggressively brakes. This was using the assertive profile. I don’t get car sick and neither does my partner but tonight she even said it’s starting to get her car sick and to disable FSD.

Anyone else experience this?

Will switch to average profile to see if there’s a difference.

Driving in the Boston area, one thing that’s annoying with FSD beta is how it’ll aggressively accelerate when in a straight line or midway through a turn when it doesn’t need to. When in a straight line, and in traffic, sometimes it aggressively accelerates then aggressively brakes. This was using the assertive profile. I don’t get car sick and neither does my partner but tonight she even said it’s starting to get her car sick and to disable FSD.

Anyone else experience this?

Will switch to average profile to see if there’s a difference.

I had issues with crazy acceleration (and super slow acceleration) with 10.2. With 10.3, it's a lot better. Check your set speed when it accelerates hard. It happens to me on 10.3 when it's set high, usually without me knowing due to last speed limit sign read.

I am as big a Tesla fanboy as there is. Just got 10.3 this afternoon. I am so bummed to say that over the last couple of hours I have found that this iteration of autopilot is utterly worthless on West Los Angeles city streets, and requires constant, aggressive intervention. Really shockingly terrible even in mundane situations - I don't mean "terrible" in a relative sense, since I have no experience with any other FSD system - but simply experientially terrible. As optimistic and excited as I have been, I have a very hard time imagining how it gets from this state to being worthwhile for any practical purpose, at least here. Still love it on LA freeways especially in stop and go traffic, where it is a huge benefit.
I've been using FSD now for 3 weeks and my experience is similar to yours. To the point that I've wondered if I have a camera or other hardware problem. When I tried to schedule mobile service I was told no since remote diagnostics shows the cameras are calibrated.

Tonight for example I tried again with FSD to turn into my street from each end. At the end with no obstructions I slowed down to 20mph and the car started to brake hard, began turning then gave up and kept going. At the end with obstructions (evergreen trees) I slowed down to 5mph and the same thing happened.
Sometimes these turns work in the daylight but always very poorly.
  • Done over 50 drives and maybe had 1 or 2 without a disengagement but those were less then 2 miles.
  • Had FSD simply stop abruptly 50 yards from a light straddling 2 lanes with cars behind me wondering what the heck was going on. Can reproduce it.
  • Stops before entering rotaries 100% of the time even when there are no cars in the rotary. I've afraid I'm going to get rear ended so spend too much looking behind me and usually end up using the go pedal.
  • Forget multi lane rotaries. Tried one several times and won't bother until 10.4.
  • Drove thru a Stop sign turning right (safely)
  • FSD started to go into the intersection when my light was still red. (first in line) Mistook the light for the intersecting street as our light.
  • Tries to stop at numerous intersections when FSD thought a car was going to come out our road. No idea why. Again cars behind me braking hard not to hit me. The go pedal gets you out of alot of bad situations.
  • Phantom braking on every drive.
  • Just driving along a road is fine when all FSD has to do is turn.
Works really well on the highways and exiting on tight ramps is much improved so its not all bad. I could go on but you get the picture. And not surprisingly my wife will no longer ride with me if I try to use FSD. Hoping 10.4 will improve things.

Last edited:
How much do beta users think the current FSD feature is worth? How much would you pay for it as it performs today? I don’t have it and I will probably try the monthly subscription once it’s level 3, but if it’s as useful as AP on the highway I am will to pay outright. Thanks
That’s gonna be a (long, long) minute ….. like years, not months away.

That’s gonna be a (long, long) minute ….. like years, not months away.
How much do beta users think the current FSD feature is worth? How much would you pay for it as it performs today? I don’t have it and I will probably try the monthly subscription once it’s level 3, but if it’s as useful as AP on the highway I am will to pay outright. Thanks
FSD will only increase in value, and, accordingly, cost. It was an 8k option when I got my Y-LR. Knowing what I do now, I’d pay double that … and then some. I used the non-beta version all the time, only pausing for turns. The beta is effing awesome but a bit of a stress-fest. Eventually it will rule the roads.

You need to know the use cases to compare. For example, I wouldn't pay a dime for it as is. I'm looking for it to eventually take me to the local stores so I can continue to live in my house. It's a long long way from that.

If it can't do that, I'm fine with cruise control. Well cruise control that works better that is.

Reactions: BM3B
FSD beta as it is today is only useful if you are a nerd and want to test it. Don’t buy it if you want something that actually helps you to drive more easily.

To give a little specificity to my interest in L3:

“Level 3 is known as conditional driving automation. It uses various driver assistance systems and artificial intelligence to make decisions based on changing driving situations around the vehicle. People inside the vehicle do not need to supervise the technology, which means they can engage in other activities. However, a human driver must be present, alert, and able to take control of the vehicle at any time, especially in the case of an emergency due to system failure.”

Autopilot on highways seems pretty close to L3, except for stopped vehicles and objects that I do not trust my X to avoid 99% of the on time.

Took another drive today to the store. The drive was better.

Lane keeping and traffic lights is great since it is like AP but without the stalk confirmations. The car just goes on green. I like that!

Moving over to the left lane to get into the left turning lane was very jerky. Moving over to the left turning lane was assertive but good.

It does not make left turns on a yellow flashing turn signal. So the cars behind me honked for me to go. So I had to disengage.

I also disengaged when approaching a construction zone. The right lane was closed so I had to move over to the left lane. But there was already a lot of cars backed up in the left lane so I needed to squeeze in. I did not know if FSD Beta understands those big arrows that tell you to move over because the lane is closed so I disengaged.

FSD Beta did move over to a right turning lane well and executed a right turn on green well.

Overall, in my limited experience, I would say that FSD Beta does not drive better than a human. It does handle lane keeping, stop signs, traffic lights and some turns really well. So if you have a commute on a main road with clear lane lines and easy protected turns, it can be a good driver assist. But you will probably need to disengage for other situations. And be aware that FSD Beta will probably annoy other drivers in many situations which makes it less useful IMO.

Last edited:
I think Tesla should pay beta testers $100 per month. Or maybe $0.02 per mile. It’s hard to have a non-subscription model because I think a lot of beta testers would take the money up front and not actually test. /s
I think tesla IS going to have to come up with a reimbursement program for WHEELS and TIRES. I see a future with a whole bunch of robotaxis on the side of the road with flat tires from sidewall rubbing on sidewalks and curbs, and the cars can’t replace or repair the tire itself. I could imagine some people being interested in putting their Tesla Into some future RoboTaxi fleet, generate some $$ but eat of at least 600-1000$ per year on tire and wheel replacement. At least as it is now.

• Funny
Reactions: dcesq06
A Level 3 system doesn't even need to handle everything, but it would allow you to stop paying attention and then give you some advance warning of upcoming situations/events it can't handle and that will require taking over.

But when you really think about it, that is an absolutely massive layer of complexity and nuance on top of what we're currently seeing. FSD Beta has almost no concept of situations it can't handle, it just goes for everything and depends on the driver to intervene when it's doing something bad. Aside from that, allowing you to stop paying attention and keeping the system usable would require accurately identifying everything you could encounter or drivers could be inundated with unnecessary take-over warnings that negate any benefits afforded by the L3 autonomy.

I've seen people suggest skipping L3 and possibly L4 altogether, but a L5 system needs all of these detection capabilities PLUS the ability to navigate everything, which is another layer of complexity. L3-4 are clearly supposed to be a bridge to the even-further-off L5, and just a reliable L3 system allowing you to stop paying attention would be a huge leap and something I imagine a lot of people would pay good money for.

But I don't even know how you build a system that knows what it doesn't know, and yet I still think a system that knows what it doesn't know will come long before we see true Level 5 that knows everything and can handle everything.

To give a little specificity to my interest in L3:

“Level 3 is known as conditional driving automation. It uses various driver assistance systems and artificial intelligence to make decisions based on changing driving situations around the vehicle. People inside the vehicle do not need to supervise the technology, which means they can engage in other activities. However, a human driver must be present, alert, and able to take control of the vehicle at any time, especially in the case of an emergency due to system failure.”

Autopilot on highways seems pretty close to L3, except for stopped vehicles and objects that I do not trust my X to avoid 99% of the on time.

More on this subject, thanks to @diplomat33 can be had here.

Only one? Southern Cal is much different than Indy.
Tennessee not Southern Cal. Some drivers use the turn signal to tell the driver behind them that the person in front of them is turning. So if you are ever in middle Tennessee at an intersection and see a line of cars with their right turn signals on there's a good chance only the first car will be turning, don't pull out because the second car will probably go straight. I have only seen this behavior in this area.