Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone with Fsd get a navigation update today? I just got a updated nav on autopilot and traffic light and stop sign control update under autopilot settings.
The odd thing is, it updated from NA-2020.48-12628 to the exact same release and gave me a bunch of new release notes I have never seen. I read them, but can't find them since the release notes that are searchable are for software and not Navigation data. It came with a bunch of new capabilities and warnings.

Last edited:
My personal opinion however, is that the AP needs to stop trying to accelerate so fast when its doing a turn from a stoplight. It literally accelerates so fast that it has to force slow itself down because its turning too sharp vs speed.
How does FSD manage speed when multiple speed limits are encountered?

Reactions: impastu
Thanks Mardak, your estimate seems to be spot on. 11,704 have FSD Beta. Eliminate 2K for employees so about 10K retail peeps.
Mainstream press is calling this a recall without the scare quotes. How is pushing OTA software updates a recall?

Reactions: zigmeister
I’ve for sure had mine drop to 15 mph. Because my neighborhood is a mix of narrow and wide streets I set my speed offset to +0 mph. I’ve been caught off-guard a few times when my car would crawl through some street before I realized it updated the speed to 15 mph.
Could you document the next time it happens, so maybe we can figure out what's different about those streets? Did the speed limit sign in the visualization show 15 mph? It's possible that the difference is in the quality of the mapping data.
I can't really provide any conclusive information. I have made changes to speed limits on both Google and OSM and have not seen any changes on the roads where I made the changes. I'm new to Tesla so I am not as well informed as many on the sight. I know that the last map update for my MY was last year and there have been no new updates since I made the changes to the maps so I don't know if the changes I made just haven't been sent to the car yet.
Same here, but it might depend on whether Tesla has updated the map data. The version in my car still shows 2020.

Reactions: impastu
Does anyone find that FSD Beta has trouble with making tight turns? FSD failed to do a right right turn at an intersection. And here it also was not able to do a tight right turn.

Here is the street view:

NeH9Yxy.png

Here is the top down view:

wuTwuJk.png

FSD Beta failed to make the right turn (the blue line). FSD Beta overshot a bit, heading towards the middle "island". It did see that it failed the turn and steered left on Westfield Ln. The red line is what FSD Beta did. To its credit, it did recover and steer left. But it failed to do the right turn.

I think part of the problem is that FSD Beta will accelerate to try to reach the TACC speed instead of taking the turn at a slow speed. By accelerating, the turn arc is too big and it misses the turn.

FSD Beta failed to make the right turn (the blue line). FSD Beta overshot a bit, heading towards the middle "island". It did see that it failed the turn and steered left on Westfield Ln. The red line is what FSD Beta did. To its credit, it did recover and steer left. But it failed to do the right turn.
I haven't had that problem; however, I've also not tried turning right onto a street that's divided this way. Seems like FSD Beta isn't reading the road correctly by misinterpreting that island and/or not seeing the far right path to the right of the island.

Does anyone find that FSD Beta has trouble with making tight turns? FSD failed to do a right right turn at an intersection. And here it also was not able to do a tight right turn.

Here is the street view:

NeH9Yxy.png

Here is the top down view:

wuTwuJk.png

I think part of the problem is that FSD Beta will accelerate to try to reach the TACC speed instead of taking the turn at a slow speed. By accelerating, the turn arc is too big and it misses the turn.

OpenStreetMap shows this:

normally I see 2 one-way paths when there's an island at the entry. Wondering if that will help the car. Obviously long term we can't rely on map notation for FSD to work properly, but would be interesting to see how much FSD relies on map data right now.

Here's an example of how islands are notated around me:

Note Palmer Drive and Garden Lane.

Probably a coincidence but several times when FSD has missed a right hand turn there has been a short but steep hill (up or down) immediately following the turn.

On the way home all on city streets, FSD handled six neighborhood 4-way stops beautifully, even when a car to my left decided to pull out after I entered the intersection. But once I got onto 4-lane divided roads, it neglected to properly accelerate every time that a light turned green when I was behind other cars, forcing me to disengage and floor the accelerator to avoid stoking road rage in the people behind me.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and impastu