Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I changed it to 3 Lanes like the other sections. … Are Bus lanes just considered lanes?
Yeah, lanes counts the total number of lanes, and lanes:bus counts the number of bus-exclusive lanes. Tesla probably only looks for the most commonly used tags such as lanes, oneway, turn:lanes.

The adjacent/next way actually specifies bus:lanes (different from above), which similar to turn:lanes, indicates properties for each lane separated by |s. Way: ‪17th Street Northwest‬ (‪60783400‬) | OpenStreetMap

But I believe that is incorrectly tagged as it has a value of "yes|designated" which suggests there's only 2 lanes and should maybe actually be "yes|yes|designated" so you can see how there's plenty of incorrect / not quite right data in OSM that data consumers like Tesla needs to work around if they choose to follow that data. E.g., maybe the assumption is if bus:lanes is fewer than the actual number of lanes, the left-more lanes are assumed to be "yes."

And also to be clear, yes anybody could go in and change these values to be correct or wrong, so if Tesla does use it, that's maybe part of the reason for long delays between map updates.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Yeah, lanes counts the total number of lanes, and lanes:bus counts the number of bus-exclusive lanes. Tesla probably only looks for the most commonly used tags such as lanes, oneway, turn:lanes.

The adjacent/next way actually specifies bus:lanes (different from above), which similar to turn:lanes, indicates properties for each lane separated by |s. Way: ‪17th Street Northwest‬ (‪60783400‬) | OpenStreetMap

But I believe that is incorrectly tagged as it has a value of "yes|designated" which suggests there's only 2 lanes and should maybe actually be "yes|yes|designated" so you can see how there's plenty of incorrect / not quite right data in OSM that data consumers like Tesla needs to work around if they choose to follow that data. E.g., maybe the assumption is if bus:lanes is fewer than the actual number of lanes, the left-more lanes are assumed to be "yes."

And also to be clear, yes anybody could go in and change these values to be correct or wrong, so if Tesla does use it, that's maybe part of the reason for long delays between map updates.
Looks like my changes were accepted. Still not fully confident on how it works but seems to look correct.

EDIT: How are Turn Lanes handled? Do they count as a Lane or not and what if they are only in part of the section of the Edit?

Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 12.37.01 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: EVNow
If you don't see the lights indicating green in the visualization, then it would be appropriately stopping for a stop line / power outage. To elaborate, in at least some states, a stop line means stop even without the sign (though you seldom, if ever, see that unless a sign has been knocked down), and AFAIK, traffic control signals that don't have power are supposed to be treated as 4-way stops in all states.

ETA: You should still report this if you haven't, because they need the sample in order to figure out and correct it. I'd recommend sending an e-mail to match the report, because even though it's obvious to you, it may not be obvious to whoever might review the report.
Yeah I'm 95% sure it visualizes the stop lights. Maybe it can't deduce their relevancy. Will look more closely when I take that road this weekend. I'm sending a snapshot every time I pass by, after I override with the go pedal. Will send a separate email too

Reactions: Jeff N
How are Turn Lanes handled? Do they count as a Lane or not and what if they are only in part of the section of the Edit?
Here's the I-85S offramp to 17th: Way: 73325901 | OpenStreetMap
turn:lanes = "left|left|right" means (from left lanes to right) there's 2 left-turn-only lanes and 1 right-turn-only lane.

The pattern I've seen is for short/temporary turn lanes, e.g., normally 2 lanes with a dedicated 3rd left-turn lane, most of the road will be tagged as 2 lanes except the relevant segment will indicate lanes=3 with turn:lanes=left|through|through;right (assuming one can make a right turn from the right lane).

Here's a more complicated way because the road is not divided, so a single segment indicates lanes in both direction of travel -- internally each way has a direction based on how it was drawn even if it's actually 2-way. The direction here seems to be "forwards" as heading East on 14th from Peachtree to Juniper: Way: ‪14th Street Northeast‬ (‪290405874‬) | OpenStreetMap
  • lanes = 5
  • turn:lanes:forward = left|through|right
  • turn:lanes:backward = through|through;right
Before you get too excited and make lots of edits in hopes of FSD Beta improving, it's still unclear if these changes will even make it to FSD Beta as there's many months delay between navigation/map updates in the car. And Tesla has already started having their Lanes network starting with FSD Beta 10.x making these predictions at least for immediate actions (e.g., "can I turn from this lane"), but long-term routing will likely still depend on map data.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Just to be certain: When you push the camera icon to report an issue to Tesla, it gives zero feedback that the report was sent? Not even a momentary flicker of the icon? I can't even tell if I'm punching the right icon or even touching any icon. Most times I end up punching it twice. Nothing.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Just to be certain: When you push the camera icon to report an issue to Tesla, it gives zero feedback that the report was sent? Not even a momentary flicker of the icon? I can't even tell if I'm punching the right icon or even touching any icon. Most times I end up punching it twice. Nothing.
It should give you a momentary message when you hit it.

I encountered an intersection with a stop light today where there was a sign that read No Turn on Red. Tesla ignored that sign and tried to turn on red anyhow. Has anyone else experienced the same?
It doesn't read them and never has. I believe the only signs it reads are Stop, Yield and standard Speed Limit signs. Of Course they will be adding signs in the future.

I've encountered a stop light that has no restriction about turning on red, and FSD won't turn on red.

DirtyTesla has videos where sometimes it honors no turn on red and sometimes not. It's probably whether the mapping data makes note of the restriction or not.

Have you seen the Cruise Automation videos driving around San Francisco? My initial reaction is it's quite impressive in what the vehicle is visualizing, the vast field of view it's visualizing, 3x ish larger than what FSD beta appears to see, and how it's anticipating other vehicle and pedestrian movement expectations.
Complete OT. Several of those are already posted in "Progress" thread.

Reactions: rxlawdude