Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just went out for my first drive on 10.4. Mixed bag so too soon to give 10.4 a grade.
Update
Just came back from a 100 mile drive with a combination of city/residential and highway.
Good
  • On ramp and off ramp continues to improve for me. Biggest improvement is slower exit speeds on sharp exit ramps.
  • FSD actually turned onto my street. Slowed down earlier and made a reasonable right hand turn. Maybe they actually addressed several emails I've sent.
Bad
  • Phantom braking continues. Wasn't worse just continues to be very annoying. Happened on both city/residential and highway. Nice sunny day.
  • Wheel was very jerky. This seemed to improve in 10.3 but 10.4 reverted back to 10.2.
  • Lane changes were more abrupt then 10.3 and not always correct.
  • Tried to pull out of side street with a car extremely close. Had to break hard. It's done this before on this street but had been better on 10.3.
  • City driving was in Manchester NH where I haven't driven before so I was in unfamiliar territory just like FSD. Several disengagements.
In summary I am disappointed in the progress of FSD after 3 upgrades. I was expecting more improvement and it just hasn't happened. In watching recent youtube videos from the first FSD beta group it seems they are complaining more. I'm wondering if after a year they are getting tired of the pace of progress. It's not that progress hasn't been made but at the rate I've personally experienced Robotaxis seems further away then I initially expected.

Last edited:
Has anyone had an issue with their car occasionally not waking up when prompted to by their phone with 10.3.1? I've also had a few instances where the phone's BT didn't unlock the car, too.

This started out as an occasional bug, but increasing in frequency over the last few days.
I have had to restart my BT on the Android phone a few times with this release. But the problems were a complete failure to connect while inside the car, requiring the key card to drive. No intervening BT connections or changes on the phone. That has not happened for a year or so. Have not had problems with unlocking, however.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I had a Target run yesterday (10.3.1) - longest fsd beta run I've taken to date.

- Only one disengagement when it failed to correctly turn at a somewhat complicated traffic signal. I just disengaged in multiple roundabouts.
- Handled all the other traffic lights & stops correctly.
- Had to disengage a couple of times to force the route I prefer. They really need to get that waypoints feature out.
- Non-rainy in daylight.
- All in all, I think I'm getting used to fsd beta, like I got used to AP.

Has anyone had an issue with their car occasionally not waking up when prompted to by their phone with 10.3.1? I've also had a few instances where the phone's BT didn't unlock the car, too.

This started out as an occasional bug, but increasing in frequency over the last few days.
I’ve had the walk up and no recognition no unlock issue with this 10.3.1 since the beginning. I’m not sure if the sleep timer, sleep algorithm or something like Tezlab is forcing sleep more often than in prior releases.. Tiny bit annoying at 05:00 but for the rest of the day its fine.

But i will note, PAK works fine once I use the app to unlock the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
OK, just one last moment from the AI Day video, promise. :)

It deals with one of those "how in the world are they going to program for that?" type scenarios.

These guys are just phenomenally brilliant.

So I've been reading around the 'net a little bit, and it is very easy to get discouraged by the current discourse; guys that have been in the beta since version 8 (which was released in October of '20) are saying that there hasn't been a lot of significant progress when you compare 10.4 to 8.0.

That might (and probably is) the case from a user (driver) standpoint, but when you look at what they have already accomplished and are accomplishing behind the scenes, the amount of "progress" is far, far beyond what is visible and noticeable from a user's standpoint.

If you'll take the time to watch the AI Day video, you'll see what I mean. Yeah, at three hours long, it's a long watch. So break it down into pieces and watch it over several days or even a week.

It is truly eye opening, and will completely change your perspective on FSD. I'm finding that I have a lot more patience with FSD when it does something silly now.

IMO, Tesla now has solutions in place for the vast majority of driving situations; it's just a matter of time until they get the neural nets and AI trained/tuned to use those solutions.

After watching the video, you'll really get a good understanding of how far ahead of the competition Tesla truly is. Guys that argue that Waymo, et al are further ahead because they are running L5 in certain geo-fenced areas need to watch the AI Day video... they'll change their tune in a hurry.

Yeah, there's still a lot of work left to be done, but the framework is there. I gotta admit, after I first got FSD Beta, I was left wondering if we were going to have true FSD in my lifetime. After watching the vid, I'm convinced that Elon and crew will get this done.

As a guy said much earlier in this thread, we're seeing FSD at the worst it'll ever be. And when you put it in that context, it's pretty amazing at what it is capable of doing, even today.

Sentry Live might be available on the refresh S/X, but I don't think they've been updated to the 2021.36.8.x Beta yet.

It's not available on my 2019 Model S with 2021.36.8.5. Nothing in the release notes about it.
I have 36.8.5 and Sentry Live works. You do have to turn it on in the security config screen in the car. And you need Premium Connectivity.

I believe that picture is of the standard public build branch, and not FSD beta.

Sentry Live Camera hit the mainstream branch one, possibly two releases ago.

But it is just now being rolled into the beta branch, and it appears that S and X vehicles (running the BETA branch) have been excluded as of now.

That's why I'm interested in seeing release notes for Beta 10.4 from both the Y/3 and S/X car groups.

We need to put that picture into its intended context, that being that Live Camera is for iOS only. The waters start getting muddy when non-beta related pictures start getting put into a beta thread. Please don't think I'm "calling you out" for this, Julien, as the information is much appreciated; people just need to make sure that they're putting the information provided into the correct context.

So in short... the only use for that picture is to show that Live Camera is only supported in the iOS (and not Android) version of the smart phone app, and not to show that Live Camera is supported in the BETA version of FSD for S and X vehicles.
New S/X don't even have Car Wash mode yet. And what happened to ANC? I thought that was being released as well.

That just isn’t a good example. A better example is banging on a piece of glass with your fist. Eventually the stress in the glass will build up and it will break. Just because it didn’t break from the first punch doesn’t mean you should expect it not to break from the 9th.
But you've physically changed the condition, so it is not "doing the same thing." You are not doing the same thing when you bang on virgin vs. degraded glass (from prior attempts). Hammering a nail into a board results in the expectation that the nail head will be flush with the surface of the board (in most cases). Yet sometimes it takes several strikes on the nail to beat it into that position.

Every batter in MLB expects (dreams of) hitting a home run when contact with the ball is made. The correct expectation is EITHER (a) a swinging strike, (b) a foul tip, (c) a [fair or foul] grounder, (d) a [fair or foul] line drive, or (e) a [fair or foul] popup fly. (I'm ignoring balls and called strikes that don't involve contact.)

Expecting your batter's hit ball to land in McCovey Cove (for Giants fans) every time is a definition of insanity because it does not take other likely outcomes into consideration.

Each pitch and swing is unique, and each pitch thrown resulting in contact must simply be an expectation of one of (a)-(f) occurring. One would certainly not expect a line drive from a called strike.

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu
But you've physically changed the condition, so it is not "doing the same thing." You are not doing the same thing when you bang on virgin vs. degraded glass (from prior attempts). Hammering a nail into a board results in the expectation that the nail head will be flush with the surface of the board (in most cases). Yet sometimes it takes several strikes on the nail to beat it into that position.

Every batter in MLB expects (dreams of) hitting a home run when contact with the ball is made. The correct expectation is EITHER (a) a swinging strike, (b) a foul tip, (c) a [fair or foul] grounder, (d) a [fair or foul] line drive, or (e) a [fair or foul] popup fly. (I'm ignoring balls and called strikes that don't involve contact.)

Expecting your batter's hit ball to land in McCovey Cove (for Giants fans) every time is a definition of insanity because it does not take other likely outcomes into consideration.

Each pitch and swing is unique, and each pitch thrown resulting in contact must simply be an expectation of one of (a)-(f) occurring. One would certainly not expect a line drive from a called strike.

I love this discussion although I'm not sure it's the right venue so I'll make an effort to connect to the topic of the thread here.

The action you are taking is the same despite the changed conditions of the object of your action. It's reasonable to expect different outcomes to the same action because the context in which an action is taken is always changing. Once can never really take the same action twice with exactly the same conditions. This is exactly what makes the FSD problem so difficult; making accurate predictions is incredibly difficult given the ever-changing nature of the context.

For your specific example, a batter should reasonably expect a different probability distribution of outcomes from each swing, both because each pitch is different and because his own internal models could be updated with each miss to change the success rate of his swing. It would be inaccurate for a batter to expect exactly the same distribution of outcomes in every game, or in every month, or in every season.

But more to the point, actual insanity has very little to do with making incorrect predictions about the effects of one's actions*. If you make bad predictions about the social consequences of your actions you are socially awkward, if you make bad predictions about the consequences of your motor movements you are a klutz, if you make bad predictions about the consequences of your acceleration and steering, you are just a Tesla. None of these things make you insane, which involves a more severe disfunction of your cognition.

*Although, interestingly one of the best theories of auditory hallucinations in schizophrenia does have to do with an impaired forward modeling system in the brain -- voices in our heads that we don't predict are more surprising to us and therefore attributed to external sources by the brain.

I love this discussion although I'm not sure it's the right venue so I'll make an effort to connect to the topic of the thread here.

The action you are taking is the same despite the changed conditions of the object of your action. It's reasonable to expect different outcomes to the same action because the context in which an action is taken is always changing. Once can never really take the same action twice with exactly the same conditions. This is exactly what makes the FSD problem so difficult; making accurate predictions is incredibly difficult given the ever-changing nature of the context.

For your specific example, a batter should reasonably expect a different probability distribution of outcomes from each swing, both because each pitch is different and because his own internal models could be updated with each miss to change the success rate of his swing. It would be inaccurate for a batter to expect exactly the same distribution of outcomes in every game, or in every month, or in every season.

But more to the point, actual insanity has very little to do with making incorrect predictions about the effects of one's actions*. If you make bad predictions about the social consequences of your actions you are socially awkward, if you make bad predictions about the consequences of your motor movements you are a klutz, if you make bad predictions about the consequences of your acceleration and steering, you are just a Tesla. None of these things make you insane, which involves a more severe disfunction of your cognition.

*Although, interestingly one of the best theories of auditory hallucinations in schizophrenia does have to do with an impaired forward modeling system in the brain -- voices in our heads that we don't predict are more surprising to us and therefore attributed to external sources by the brain.
We're not talking clinically insane here, but your point is taken.

There are ideologies foreign to us that seem (to us) insanely ridiculous, without attributing frank mental illness to their actions and beliefs.