Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does the blue vehicle indicate when FSD displays it???

If a blue car is displayed in the instrument panel, this means that your tesla is using the blue car as a point of reference for guidance purposes (instead of using lane markers as a guidance cue). For instance your tesla could use the blue car (if it is front of you) as a lead / guide to auto steer (e.g. maintain a directional vector)

Took a quick drive with 10.4. The visuals (curbs, lane lines) are less jittery, so that's neat. Everything else seems to be the same as far as driving dynamics go.

My hope is that Tesla continues to release updates every 2 weeks (agile!) and we start seeing progress on issues we've been having since 10.2 (phantom braking, driving down middle of unmarked roads, etc).

Thanks Tesla FSD Team lurkers!

Last edited:
If a blue car is displayed in the instrument panel, this means that your tesla is using the blue car as a point of reference for guidance purposes (instead of using lane markers as a guidance cue). For instance your tesla could use the blue car (if it is front of you) as a lead / guide to auto steer (e.g. maintain a directional vector)
Thanks for the comment. It makes some sense. I am focused intently on supervising the beta properly. It becomes nearly impossible to analyze the screen information.

When I catch the blue car out of the corner of my eye and sneak a glance, it is quickly back to the normal color.

I expect this blue vehicle may be more prevalent as snow covers lane lines in coming months.

Reactions: impastu
Took a quick drive with the new update.
Navigated through a round-about. The car didn't stop at the yield sign like it had in pervious builds. It didn't even yield like I would have expected. The traffic was clear so the car just entered the circle. Navigation had me exiting the round-about at the second exit. The car full stopped at the first exit, inside the traffic circle. Then slowly proceeded to the second exit and navigated out.

Got 10.4 at midnight. Woke up at 3:50am and decided to go out for a drive. Pretty impressed. Obviously there are still issues, but the car did seem smoother and it handled a couple of situations better than the past. One is a tiny roundabout that the car mostly screwed up before, trying to turn left without going around the mini roundabout. Tried it three times in a row tonight, and it did it correctly every time, except for coming to a stop at the yield sign with no cars around.

I also got a FCW and a brief harsh brake for a fat ass raccoon (apparently this effer has been eating very very well raiding our suburban trash) that was crossing the road. It would be more impressive if it hadn’t done the FCW and brake AFTER the raccoon had just cleared the path in front of the car, which was why I hadn’t bothered to take over before, but the raccoon was still in the street so still cool.

I like the new crosswalk visual, but it’s a little annoying to not have the stop lines anymore since I have a bunch of stop signs in my neighborhood that don’t have crosswalks, so there’s no indication of where the car thinks the stop line is. But that’s fairly minor since the car did a good job with every stop sign so far.

Still creeps a little too far on some unprotected turns. Hopefully they address that in the near future.

I have a bunch of stop signs in my neighborhood that don’t have crosswalks, so there’s no indication of where the car thinks the stop line is.

I haven't seen a painted stop line be of much benefit to FSD since 10.2. It tends to stop way before the line. And there are plenty of painted lines here that put you really far back that even as a human, you have to creep way forward to be confident in a turn. So I would love if FSD would just make a decision to stop at the point where it has cross-traffic visibility, rather than be affected by a painted stop line. Obviously it can't block an intersection while attempting this....

Reactions: impastu and JeremyJ
My car also managed to turn into a parking lot it consistently failed to on previous versions. It was pretty cool, until it freaked out after making the turn and started swerving to the opposite lane. I probably could have let it go a bit to see if it recovered since nobody was around in the parking lot at 4am, but I reflexively took over. Don’t know if it’s a real improvement though, since when I tried it again it failed to make the turn, and at that point I was tired so I didn’t try it a third time. It was the first time it has made that turn, though.

Reactions: impastu and JeremyJ
anyone else experienced an issue with gradually reducing speed limits - where the car correctly spots the speed limit changes 75-70-55 for instance - but doesn't actually slow down. This has had me doing 75 in a 55 several times.
It reduces the set speed but maintains its current traveling speed, only slowing down if its blocked by a car in front.

Also, the auto high beam setting that is re-enabled each time it flips from old stack AP (speed limits above 65) and new stack AP (speed limits below 65)

Last edited:
haven't seen a painted stop line be of much benefit to FSD since 10.2. It tends to stop way before the line.
It could just be being cautious to avoid drivers that cut the corner making left turns in front of your car. Or more likely it's just a flaw in the NN logic. No sensible human stops far from the stop line and then creeps up.

I know Elon said it was a slow rollout because of hardware differences in the fleet to monitor, but will it be more risky to keep vehicles on an out of date beta?
The slow rollout was intended to help ensure the new version wasn't in fact less safe than the prior version. Unless it's tested, it's just wishful thinking to assume the new version is safer.

I appreciate Tesla's caution since the software can control my car's actions.

I drove from Charleston, WV to Athens, OH this morning.

1. Still gives a random left blinker leaving my neighborhood. Same spot everytime.

2. Exceeded 80mph on I-77 and got the red steering wheel of death.

3. Making an unprotected left it turn in front of a car making a right turn from the opposite side. It might have slowed and let them go but I disengaged.

4. Several FCW on a two lane 55mph. It was a perfectly clear morning.

5. Ironically, ohio drivers tend to hang out in the left lane and the car kept “moving to the faster lane” when there were no other cars in sight in Ohio.

6. Phantom braking approaching an uncontrolled empty intersection that the car was traveling in the primary direction of travel.

An aside, I wish there was a setting or a part of chill or average that put you in the position to turn earlier. I hate that it appears to wait until the last minute to get in the correct lane. Under 1/2 mile on interstates and 2/10th on city roads.

Took a quick drive with the new update.
Navigated through a round-about. The car didn't stop at the yield sign like it had in pervious builds. It didn't even yield like I would have expected. The traffic was clear so the car just entered the circle. Navigation had me exiting the round-about at the second exit. The car full stopped at the first exit, inside the traffic circle. Then slowly proceeded to the second exit and navigated out.
Ouch..full stop in a traffic circle sounds scary.