Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What experience have folks had with FSD and non-human animals?

I was just on a drive and came to a stop on the leg of a T intersection. There was a dog in the middle of the intersection very slowly taking its time catching up to its owner on a nearby sidewalk. FSD visualized the human, but not the dog. I was concerned about the car hitting the dog, but it trotted away just as the car started to go, so I didn't have to intervene. I'm unsure what would have happened if the dog stayed where it was, but I wasn't going to put its life at risk to find out.

Curiously, closer to home on a straight road, I passed another dog walker on the parallel sidewalk. I'm not sure since I didn't glance at the visualization until the last second, but there may have been a little blob beside the visualized human. Was that the dog? If so, why didn't the previous dog show up?

I've also wondered about this out in the country more (which in our little city means only a mile or two) where we might encounter people on horseback. Further out one might even encounter cattle on the road. How will FSD handle these creatures? Does anyone have any experience with this?
Human animals using AP and FSD Beta have experienced their cars slowing for non-human animals of various kinds that are in the car's path. I've seen my car sometimes visualize a dog on the screen, but it's quite inconsistent and ephemeral when it does.

I was just on a drive and came to a stop on the leg of a T intersection. There was a dog in the middle of the intersection very slowly taking its time catching up to its owner on a nearby sidewalk. FSD visualized the human, but not the dog. I was concerned about the car hitting the dog, but it trotted away just as the car started to go, so I didn't have to intervene. I'm unsure what would have happened if the dog stayed where it was, but I wasn't going to put its life at risk to find out.

Curiously, closer to home on a straight road, I passed another dog walker on the parallel sidewalk. I'm not sure since I didn't glance at the visualization until the last second, but there may have been a little blob beside the visualized human. Was that the dog? If so, why didn't the previous dog show up?

I've also wondered about this out in the country more (which in our little city means only a mile or two) where we might encounter people on horseback. Further out one might even encounter cattle on the road. How will FSD handle these creatures? Does anyone have any experience with this?
I have seen renderings of people walking dogs but have not had a chance to see if it will render dogs alone.

My car sounded the FCW and hit the brakes for one of the fattest raccoons I’ve ever seen (apparently there is good eating for raccoons in my suburb, or maybe it was pregnant and I am fat shaming some poor expectant mother). It did so a little unnecessarily since at the pace the obese raccoon was trotting along and the speed of my car the raccoon would have been comfortably out of the driving path by the time the car reached the raccoon, but it still did it. I didn’t notice the display showing anything to represent the raccoon, but I was watching the road, not the screen.

I have my FSD Beta profile set to Chill and I still keep rolling through stop signs. Why doesn’t it stop for stop signs? I must be missing something.
I’m set to whatever medium is and it comes to a complete stop and counts to at least 5 before proceeding even when there is nobody at the other 3 stops.

Last edited:
My first day with FSD beta after reaching 99 a few days ago. Picked up my kids for the day since they were off from school. Took some drives, errands, dinner around northern Westchester County, NY. I’ll say it’s somewhere between amazing and frightening. My 12.5 year old son could probably drive better in some instances. On well marked and travelled roads with clear and simple turns it did just fine. On some smaller, winding more rural roads, it did ok but there were some stops signs and turns that it simply couldn’t do. I don’t think it will take long to get a feel for what it can and can’t do, just like you become familiar with highway driving NOA limitations.

It’s amazing to think that when I was learning to drive in the mid 90s, this was the realm of science fiction. How good will it be (or not) in 3.5 years when my son will be getting his learners permit? Just the fact that my kids are even experiencing this is amazing to me.

No matter what, i’m happy just to be done with the safety score. 2021 MYLR purchased in March 2021 (as an I almost died in 2020 and then my wife left me present to myself) when it was still $48,900 base with a 2k instant NYS rebate. It’s almost like I got FSD for free vs today’s pricing.

Most interesting experience I've had is when a large turkey crossed the road in front of me. Turkey was rendered as a dog and the car slowed down. Not sure if FSD would have stopped the car since the turkey quickly picked up the pace and crossed the road.

My experiences are my experiences. I didn't ask for your opinion telling me what to do. Why are YOU posting if you can't be objective and can't accept anyone's experience that doesn't agrees with yours?

BTW, there are others here who have shared that they aren't seeing any definite improvements, either. I am not alone. If we are here to report only how wonderful FSD is, it's unlikely we will ever see it ever getting better. When or if I opt out will be my decision, not yours.
OK then, LOL. you hate it, it's going to kill you, it's never going to get any better, It isn't what you want it to be. That's your position. But by God, you're going to keep using it and keep coming on here whining about it! LMFAO!!

Had a passenger recording and got a bunch of warnings in a row and strikeout before I realized why it was complaining. Both hands on the wheel. So let this be a warning if you have passengers make sure they’re not moving phones anywhere near the driver.
1CE2F540-57F2-4594-83CD-3D0014C51D25.jpeg

10.4 for me, overall, seems to be an improvement. Still, some really DUMB things, but some better. For the life of me, it still cannot CONSISTENTLY make the unprotected left onto my road from the “main” road I live off of at night. Sometimes it does, other times it does not. Mind you, this has nothing to do with traffic, as my road and “main” road are very low traffic rural roads. Daytime, never an issue.

Nighttime, it’s a 50/50 chance it makes that turn. This evening, it started the turn PERFECTLY, then jerked the wheel straight towards the stump it has tried to drive me into numerous times before. Other times it has nailed this particular turn (nighttime). Very odd.

Congested urban areas it still has issues with the correct lane to be in for the given route, which is annoying. The herky-jerky movements of the steering wheel will most likely end up in me paying Tesla a bunch of cash to fix the worn frontend parts, I’d assume. Some of these actions, no human could ever come up with.