Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait! BUG report doesn’t go ANYWHERE? It stays in the car till the next service appt? A) that doesn’t make sense but more so B) S..t, I’ve been sending bug reports for years with problems with mapping, where a road is missing, or an intersection update is missing or incorrect, or the directions were wrong, or other things related to the car, like crashes in the UI that were reproducible, eTc. If it’s correct that it doesn’t go anywhere or DO anything really then what a complete wasted of time, and opportunity.
Yeah, this is what I've read multiple times from various sources over the past year. I've never used it for that reason. Seems like the use case for it is more for reporting an issue for a future service appointment.

Reactions: Phlier and impastu
Last night I received the FSD download (2021.36.8.5). I've been following the comments here for the past month and have an understanding of the good, bad and ugly of the system. My question is, those who have experience with the FSD, what setting in navigation do you recommend and why. Any other recommendations you might have as well. Thanks.

Reactions: impastu
Last night I received the FSD download (2021.36.8.5). I've been following the comments here for the past month and have an understanding of the good, bad and ugly of the system. My question is, those who have experience with the FSD, what setting in navigation do you recommend and why. Any other recommendations you might have as well. Thanks.
If you're not sure what to use, I recommend starting with the default settings. Once you're more familiar with the behavior, you can always experiment with other settings. I still change mine up sometimes.

Any more specific questions about certain feature settings?

Reactions: Phlier and impastu
Tesla is planning to use improved cameras. I wonder what that may include... resolution, sensitivity, IR, wider angle (side cameras), etc.
IR would be very useful for recognizing VRU.

Given the overall cost of the car, they can afford to get the best 4k cameras for the next HW revision - better resolution, color, sensitivity etc. I guess the higher resolution increases the useful range as well.

If you're not sure what to use, I recommend starting with the default settings. Once you're more familiar with the behavior, you can always experiment with other settings. I still change mine up sometimes.

Any more specific questions about certain feature settings?
Thanks, I haven't yet used the FSD but I'm sure once I do I will have questions.

The 'report bug' voice command doesn't send anything to Tesla. It stores it locally in your car, which Tesla can retrieve next time you have a service appointment (I'm also under the impression you'd have to tell them you've added some 'bug reports', don't think they automatically check and pull the 'reports').
I have it on good authority that this is not true. I recently had a conversation with Tesla Roadside Assistance and the agent I spoke with assured me that any voice command introduced with "Bug Report" does indeed get sent to Tesla without going through a service visit. He said that he had actually worked in the department that processes such bug reports, so he was actually in a position to know.

Rationale for the above:

1) Change/improvement has been so small for me the last three releases;
2) Would enjoy production firmware (2021.40.5.1) features more then beta FSD right now, such as active road noise reduction ("ARNR")- more useful (to me, anyways)
3) 10.x series releases are hard on my Plaid's steering and braking components.... And I just had my half shafts replaced due to that vibration issue
4) Large efficiency hit using beta FSD, when combined with the cold and rain here
5) I can always opt back in, at any time, per the reply I received from Tesla betafsd team (see below)

"Hello Xxxx,

FSD Beta 10.4 will be removed from your vehicle shortly. To ensure you do not receive future Beta updates, please go to the Autopilot UI and select Controls > Autopilot > Request Full Self-Driving Beta, which will trigger a pop-up which will then present you with the Opt-Out button. You can opt back into the FSD Beta queue at any time by selecting the Request Full Self-Driving button.

-FSD Team"
6) You live in the PNW so its perpetual rain until Spring so there really isn't much opportunity to use it anyways.

:p

I've been considering giving it up because I want my Radar back. The Camera+Radar did better in the rain than the Tesla Vision stuff.

I have it on good authority that this is not true. I recently had a conversation with Tesla Roadside Assistance and the agent I spoke with assured me that any voice command introduced with "Bug Report" does indeed get sent to Tesla without going through a service visit. He said that he had actually worked in the department that processes such bug reports, so he was actually in a position to know.

Until Tesla has a ticket system or some kind of feedback it won't matter.

I thought the FSD Beta would be cool because then I could email them bugs, but they don't follow up so there isn't any point.

People don't like shouting into the abyss.

Did a first drive using FSD on back roads with little or no traffic. Noticed, as noted by others here, the jerky steering when making turns from a stop at an intersection some of the turns ended partially in the opposite lane but corrected to the right lane quickly. Making right ninety degree turns on a continuous road segment (not at an intersection) the car consistently came very close to or tracked on to the yellow center line. There was no oncoming traffic when this occurred but if there had been it would have caused the opposing traffic to react (I know I would have). The speed control seemed the be correct for the 90% turning situations, that is the car slowed for the turns to, what I would consider, a reasonable speed so that crossing the center yellow line was not necessary.

Pretty good drives for me today. Went to Lawndale to meet some people for lunch, then to the Redondo Beach Handel’s Ice Cream for dessert, then back home. Fairly flawless with some go pedal application and the occasional lane change cancellation from me. Dealt with a lot of other cars on the road, but with the caveat that it was mostly all nice wide streets. About 50 miles of Beta driving with minimal interventions from me and no disengagements other than my normal ones where I disengage anytime I see that the car will have to stop or slow down significantly ahead to maximize my regen and minimize brake use.

Pretty decent performance today without cars behind me, including creeping out safely into a blind unprotected left at a T junction. It was doing surprisingly well until it decided to twitch the steering wheel to the left while crossing an intersection going straight. Not sure what the plan was. There were even cars going the opposite way about to cross the same intersection. Also it really does not handle train tracks running down the road well at all. It alternates staying all the way to the left as if placing itself between the right rail and the yellow line, or all the way to the right as if placing itself between the right rail and the curb / parked cars. It does render 2 lanes on screen even though there is just one in reality.

Without V2V and VTE, I don’t see any way robot cars will be able to handle inclement weather.
You mean human level or better ?

In any case for a looooong time most vehicles on the road won’t be Robo cars - so, to be able to be called robocars they need to handle inclement weather.

More importantly you can’t make out how good NNs will be in 10 years.

FSD Beta 10.4 will be removed from your vehicle shortly. To ensure you do not receive future Beta updates, please go to the Autopilot UI and select Controls > Autopilot > Request Full Self-Driving Beta, which will trigger a pop-up which will then present you with the Opt-Out button. You can opt back into the FSD Beta queue at any time by selecting the Request Full Self-Driving button.
Does anyone know the answers to the following questions if you email Tesla and they remove FSD Beta from your car:
1. On new refresh S vehicles which software update you get and if they include ANC?
2. When "opting out" in controls, will you have to go through Safety Score again if you opt back in, or are you just put on the path for the next FSD Beta update?
3. If you opt back in to FSD Beta again, will it remove any of the previous updates to the car like ANC and regress in that manner?
Thanks!

Anyone else have inconsistent FSD visualizations starting yesterday. It was kind of 50/50 for me and couldn't really see any pattern. Also phone key started acting up. Turned the car on/off but it didn't help.
Visualizations have been normal for me.

For phone key issues, cycling the Bluetooth radio on my phone or rebooting the phone helps resolve phone key issues if rebooting the car's touch screen doesn't do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: fo_Sean and impastu