Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know the answers to the following questions if you email Tesla and they remove FSD Beta from your car:
1. On new refresh S vehicles which software update you get and if they include ANC?
2. When "opting out" in controls, will you have to go through Safety Score again if you opt back in, or are you just put on the path for the next FSD Beta update?
3. If you opt back in to FSD Beta again, will it remove any of the previous updates to the car like ANC and regress in that manner?
Thanks!
Not sure, but I was thinking if I wanted to take an Fsd break, why not just not engage it while driving. I do this about half the time when I am in a hurry or want to enjoy 😉 some torque. Then when I commute to an from work I am 100% in Fsd. I wouldn't trust being able to get back into beta if I opted out. Would never want to be a safety score *hore again 🙄 ... I remember checking that thread all the time trying to figure out what to do and wondering if I would get picked. I had a 100% score and did not get in Fsd with the first roll-out. 😒

Second FSD drive today. Made left and right unprotected turns without any problems (no traffic). On curving roads still comes very close to and sometimes crosses the yellow centerline. I noticed one odd behavior today, on a 90% right turn the car steered to the left slightly to make the right turn. Moving left to make a right turn is not a good behavior unless you are in a large truck. I have the options set to chill mode, and like others here have noted, I feel it follows to closely at higher speeds. ( this could be because I'm not a good passenger when someone else is driving)

Second FSD drive today. Made left and right unprotected turns without any problems (no traffic). On curving roads still comes very close to and sometimes crosses the yellow centerline. I noticed one odd behavior today, on a 90% right turn the car steered to the left slightly to make the right turn. Moving left to make a right turn is not a good behavior unless you are in a large truck. I have the options set to chill mode, and like others here have noted, I feel it follows to closely at higher speeds. ( this could be because I'm not a good passenger when someone else is driving)
Ever since the most recent update, I've noticed:
  • My car going wide just before a left turn on residential streets. Seems unnecessary, but the car executes the turn very well otherwise.
  • It then mostly takes the center of the road since the street has no lane markings. Just occasionally, the visualization flashes segments of a yellow dividing line as though it realizes it's a two-way street and needs to keep right. When it does, it's a little better at staying on the right side of the road, but it doesn't last. It does this even when there's not other traffic on the road.

Reactions: impastu
Also it really does not handle train tracks running down the road well at all.
I've watched a few YouTube videos where FSD Beta will attempt to go down the actual tracks, believing the tracks to be the road!

I'm sure you already are, but just in case... hit that report button whenever you find FSD acting inappropriately with train tracks. ;)

Not sure, but I was thinking if I wanted to take an Fsd break, why not just not engage it while driving. I do this about half the time when I am in a hurry or want to enjoy 😉 some torque. Then when I commute to an from work I am 100% in Fsd. I wouldn't trust being able to get back into beta if I opted out. Would never want to be a safety score *hore again 🙄 ... I remember checking that thread all the time trying to figure out what to do and wondering if I would get picked. I had a 100% score and did not get in Fsd with the first roll-out. 😒
Most of these guys have Refresh Model S's that get active noise reduction if they go back to the public release branch, hence why they want all the way out of the program instead of just not using it.

I've watched a few YouTube videos where FSD Beta will attempt to go down the actual tracks, believing the tracks to be the road!

I'm sure you already are, but just in case... hit that report button whenever you find FSD acting inappropriately with train tracks. ;)
Was in VT last weekend and train tracks cross the road at a 45 degree angle. Drove over them 4 times during the weekend but on the 5th time (at night), FSD (10.3.1) tried to take a hard turn to follow the train tracks lol. My gf was like, wtf, it just tried to turn onto the railroad! Lol

Was in VT last weekend and train tracks cross the road at a 45 degree angle. Drove over them 4 times during the weekend but on the 5th time (at night), FSD (10.3.1) tried to take a hard turn to follow the train tracks lol. My gf was like, wtf, it just tried to turn onto the railroad! Lol
It definitely can get confused. They need to train on a lot of things that might look like drivable area but are not.

BTW, we will have more accurate GPS at some point and that might be a good substitute for HD maps.

PS: GPS.gov: GPS Accuracy

Last edited:
Anyone had FSD navigation confused? I had this happen twice, making turns about 1 mile away from the intended street. I looked at the navi and it didn’t reroute, just turned on the wrong street by far. prior to that at a green light it didn’t go and while parked I was messing around with the new voice and camera feature.

Not sure, but I was thinking if I wanted to take an Fsd break, why not just not engage it while driving. I do this about half the time when I am in a hurry or want to enjoy 😉 some torque. Then when I commute to an from work I am 100% in Fsd. I wouldn't trust being able to get back into beta if I opted out.
There is a third option: Just turn off FSD in the Autopilot menu.

Rationale for the above:

1) Change/improvement has been so small for me the last three releases;
2) Would enjoy production firmware (2021.40.5.1) features more then beta FSD right now, such as active road noise reduction ("ARNR")- more useful (to me, anyways)
3) 10.x series releases are hard on my Plaid's steering and braking components.... And I just had my half shafts replaced due to that vibration issue
4) Large efficiency hit using beta FSD, when combined with the cold and rain here
5) I can always opt back in, at any time, per the reply I received from Tesla betafsd team (see below)

"Hello Xxxx,

FSD Beta 10.4 will be removed from your vehicle shortly. To ensure you do not receive future Beta updates, please go to the Autopilot UI and select Controls > Autopilot > Request Full Self-Driving Beta, which will trigger a pop-up which will then present you with the Opt-Out button. You can opt back into the FSD Beta queue at any time by selecting the Request Full Self-Driving button.

-FSD Team"

Update: To no one's surprise, nothing has happened since I requested, "Out" last Friday.

Did a drive early this morning (LOW traffic) through midtown/downtown with mixed results. First leg was with 0 disengagement or mistakes. Next leg it blew by the right turn with blinker on. Rerouted and blew by the second right with blinker on. Rerouted again for a right on 14th Street (busy divided multilane) and was in far right lane then cut on the left blinker and starting turning wheel. Immediately disengaged. Navigation correctly display a right turn.

Later driving some on Georgia Tech camps came out on 10th Street and the was making a right. BMW coming up in left lane and Tesla whips into the left lane to turn right forcing/startling the BMW to brake and honk. This swing left to turn right is UNACCEPTABLE on tight city streets.

Later driving some on Georgia Tech camps came out on 10th Street and the was making a right. BMW coming up in left lane and Tesla whips into the left lane to turn right forcing/startling the BMW to brake and honk. This swing left to turn right is UNACCEPTABLE on tight city streets.
I've still not tried turns on multi-turn-lanes. Won't be trying anytime soon ...

Reactions: impastu and jebinc
I've still not tried turns on multi-turn-lanes. Won't be trying anytime soon ...
Not turn lanes, just turning right off the main road. FSD Beta turns car to the left first before making a right turn. The BMW was coming up to the red light and was going straight (me turning right) and I whipped into his lane by a couple of feet. Likely not enough to hit him but if you are coming up to a car and it suddenly start veering its front end into your lane you are going to be startled.

Not turn lanes, just turning right off the main road. FSD Beta turns car to the left first before making a right turn. The BMW was coming up to the red light and was going straight (me turning right) and I whipped into his lane by a couple of feet. Likely not enough to hit him but if you are coming up to a car and it suddenly start veering its front end into your lane you are going to be startled.
From a stop, I guess ?

I've had some right turns - not from a stop - that would be indistinguishable from human turns.

Most of these guys have Refresh Model S's that get active noise reduction if they go back to the public release branch, hence why they want all the way out of the program instead of just not using it.
I have a Plaid also, as far as noise reduction I just hit the mute button.
I used to be a programmer and figured out how to connect the TV remote to my wife's mouth.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Phlier and impastu