Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But more importantly - they want to limit what they are promising so that at some point they can book the revenue. No CFO / Master of Coin wants to have this obligation dangling indefinitely.
I think they will be hard pressed to deliver anything less than what the name of the product states "Full Self Driving". If they had call it Super Duper Auto Pilot I could see room for interpretation of Super Duper but not Full Self Driving.

There's nothing in Elon's tweets about FSD that suggests he even works at Tesla, anyone could say the same things without insider information just by connecting dots together. I could easily confuse his Tweets with that 14 year old who was masquerading as a Tesla AP Engineer. "10.x is on-track", "10.x has some last minute issue, team is working hard, will start to push Sunday night". "Single-stack for all should release in 10.1". "Tentative plan is 98 and above. 10.4 improves left turns", etc.

There's nothing in Elon's tweets about FSD that suggests he even works at Tesla, anyone could say the same things without insider information just by connecting dots together. I could easily confuse his Tweets with that 14 year old who was masquerading as a Tesla AP Engineer. "10.x is on-track", "10.x has some last minute issue, team is working hard, will start to push Sunday night". "Single-stack for all should release in 10.1". "Tentative plan is 98 and above. 10.4 improves left turns", etc.

To piggyback on that, I wonder what release Elon actually drives. Is it FSD Beta 10.4 like the rest of us? I suspect it might be. At the most, one rev higher...

Yesterday I decided to just use AP, instead of FSD
Oh, good idea. I've never used Vision-only non-FSD Autopilot on city streets before, so I did a quick run to the office and back home, and generally it behaved similar if not slightly worse for me than what I was used to before FSD Beta. Notably it still picks the wrong lane across an intersection that is just a little bit offset, and definitely can't stay in lane for curves usually taken <20mph, but worse was the unnecessary braking for parked cars that aren't separated by any road marking.

So I ended up turning on FSD Beta on the way home at a red light as even with its quirks and sometimes very silly mistakes, the convenience of Autopilot outweighs even when "just going straight" but now working on streets without lines, shifting over for parked cars, not stopping for pedestrians walking on the edge of the road (no sidewalks), automatically continuing from stop signs/greens, etc.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Notably it still picks the wrong lane across an intersection that is just a little bit offset, and definitely can't stay in lane for curves usually taken <20mph, but worse was the unnecessary braking for parked cars that aren't separated by any road marking.
AP is I think only useful when it’s raining and FSD freaks out.

At night, in rain I need AP to keep lanes - esp in 2 lane roads where vehicles coming in the opposite direction blind me.

Glad I opted out.

Reactions: Phlier
I have seen my car render both dogs and turkeys. I have also had it not respond quick enough to a deer in the road at high speed, and I took over successfully.

I came upon a group of turkeys on a curvy mountain road this past weekend. (Late afternoon, sun still up.)

Later, about dusk as I was leaving a residential neighborhood, two deer crossed right in front of me.

The FSD Beta visualization did not render any animals at all in either case. :(

(At other times, I have seen dogs walking with people briefly rendered, along with their human.)

Did he say it was feature complete ? Missed that ...
Yup. That was the impetus for the first public beta release in October of last year.

"Feature complete," yet even today new features are being added... I guess he meant feature complete as far as what they had advertised, even if they weren't in an actual working state?

Again, more Elonese to translate.

Here's the exchange about engaging FSD without a route:

Whole Mars Catalog
@WholeMarsBlog
·
Apr 10

you can just speak to it like take me to chuck e. cheese and it’s like aight let’s go

Elon Musk
@elonmusk

Replying to
@WholeMarsBlog
If you don’t say anything & engage Autopilot, it will soon guess based on time of day, taking you home or to work or to what’s on your calendar

7:54 PM · Apr 10, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

BTW, you can actually just paste the tweet link and the forum software will expand.

I can confirm that it works in the morning - it takes me to my "work" address. Haven't tried in the evening, whether it takes me home.

BTW, you can actually just paste the tweet link and the forum software will expand.

I can confirm that it works in the morning - it takes me to my "work" address. Haven't tried in the evening, whether it takes me home.

This has technically been there for a long time for those with NoA from EAP/FSD. My "Work" destination was always queued up as a destination as soon as I got in the car in the morning. And "Home" was always set automatically at the end of the day.