Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, it would appear that as Tesla attempts to solve the Phantom Braking problem, they have managed a partial fix with Phantom Slowing.
Yes. That. Cruising along at the set speed, and now we have this new feature where it gently knocks a few mph off the speed for a while, and then picks up again. Sometimes I've seen a maybe explanation (eg, truck parked off the side of the road), but more often I see nothing that explains it. Not the old overpass shadow or anything like that at all. 'Tis mysterious!

Beta might have saved me from a collision (minor) yesterday. I got my booster shot on Thursday, and it was kicking my ass all of Friday so I was a less attentive than I normally am. I went to the gym to try to get some exercise in thinking that might help a little, but that was an insanely stupid idea since I was so lethargic and suffering from chills and aches that I couldn’t really do anything. I was on my way home waiting in a line of cars at a red light, and my car started moving forward after the red light turned green when my car sounded the collision warning, swerved a little to the right (stayed mostly in my lane), and hit the brakes, which confused me for a moment since I was pretty out of it. Then I realized some moron apparently thought he’d try to use the left turn lane as a passing lane, realized at the last second he didn’t have room to make it, ending up half in the turn lane and half in my lane. It was close enough that if my car hadn’t moved to the right we might have kissed bumpers. Effing moron. He ended up forcing me and everyone behind me to move around his moronic ass.

10.5 release notes from Reddit. Looks like they are trying to address several issues we talk about here regularly.

FSD Beta v10.5 Release Notes

• ⁠Improved VRU (pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcycles) crossing velocity error by 20% from improved quality in our auto-labeling.
• ⁠Improved static world predictions (road lines, edges, and lane connectivity) by up to 13% using a new static world auto-labeler and adding 165K auto-labeled videos.
• ⁠Improved cone and sign detections by upreving the generalized static object network with 15K more video clips and adjusting oversampling and overweighting strategies (+4.5% precision, +10.4% recall).
• ⁠Improved cut-in detection network by 5.5% to help reduce false slowdowns.
• ⁠Enabled “emergency collision avoidance maneuvering” in shadow mode.
• ⁠Enabled behavior to lane change away from merges when safe to do so.
• ⁠Improved merge object detection recall by using multi-modal object prediction at intersections.
• ⁠Improved control for merges by increasing smoothness of arrival time constraints and considering possible merging objects beyond visibility.
• ⁠Improved lane changes by allowing larger deceleration limit in short-deadline situations.
• ⁠Improved lateral control for creeping forward to get more visibility.
• ⁠Improved modeling of road boundaries on high curvature roads for finer maneuvers.
• ⁠Improved logic to stay on-route and avoid unnecessary detours/rerouting.

10.5 release notes from Reddit. Looks like they are trying to address several issues we talk about here regularly.

• ⁠Improved VRU (pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcycles) crossing velocity error by 20% from improved quality in our auto-labeling.
• ⁠Improved static world predictions (road lines, edges, and lane connectivity) by up to 13% using a new static world auto-labeler and adding 165K auto-labeled videos.
• ⁠Improved cone and sign detections by upreving the generalized static object network with 15K more video clips and adjusting oversampling and overweighting strategies (+4.5% precision, +10.4% recall).
• ⁠Improved merge object detection recall by using multi-modal object prediction at intersections.
• ⁠Improved control for merges by increasing smoothness of arrival time constraints and considering possible merging objects beyond visibility.
• ⁠Improved lane changes by allowing larger deceleration limit in short-deadline situations.
• ⁠Improved modeling of road boundaries on high curvature roads for finer maneuvers.

The merge stuff should be interesting to test. Sadly I don’t see anything here about driving in the correct part of the road when no markings exist, particularly when approaching a turn, entering turn lanes to turn, suppressing unnecessary lane changes in turn lanes, and preventing unnecessary steering movements.

So seems like it should be mostly the same, as expected. I’m curious about whether the improved road marking prediction helps at all with some of the situations where FSD repeatedly fails for me. I doubt it will though, as it seems like a logic/path planner issue, not a perception issue.

Reactions: Phlier and impastu

I think the most significant thing here is additional use/benefits of auto-labeling. The 10.4 release notes claimed a new auto-labeler led to a massive improvement in VRU detection (" precision +35%, recall +20%"), and I observed a massive improvement in no longer detecting most mailboxes as pedestrians, which resulted in a huge reduction in phantom braking on roads with mailboxes. Now, we have even further VRU perception improvements from the auto-labeler, but importantly we also see a second auto-labeler system ("new static world auto-labeler"). If they can continue developing auto-labelers for additional tasks this quickly, and continue to expand the use of the ones they already have, I expect it will dramatically accelerate progress and reduce development costs.

I'm speculating that the "Improved static world predictions" realized by the new auto-labeler will manifest in less steering wheel jerkiness approaching/executing turns, and will also reduce risk of turning into an incorrect lane.

I'm also excited to see the "Improved lateral control for creeping". Although, I really wish they had also indicated some improvements to lateral control on un-marked roads. I suppose it's possible they made some updates on that front and didn't bother including them in the release notes, but I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment thinking that.

The other thing I really enjoyed here was related to the sheer number of clips being fed into the auto-labelers. I suspect they are mostly selecting clips of times when the current software didn't perform optimally (no need to teach it what it already knows), which implies that our collective testing efforts are leading to progress in a very direct way. I know we all like to tell ourselves/others that our testing is "helping make the software better" (better in some vague way that none of us really understand), but when we don't really hear any feedback from Tesla, it sure does make you question your faith that putting up with so many manure-grade maneuvers is actually accomplishing anything. Seeing that 165k clips number makes me think that a good portion of those had to be selected from the data captured from FSD beta disengagements and snapshots, given those events are good predictors of situations where the current software performed sub-optimally.

So, here we go again on the "next rev will be better" hype cycle. I, for one, savor these moments at the peak of inflated expectations. Talk to you tomorrow from the trough of disillusionment.

Last edited:
I think the most significant thing here is additional use/benefits of auto-labeling. The 10.4 release notes claimed a new auto-labeler led to a massive improvement in VRU detection (" precision +35%, recall +20%"), and I observed a massive improvement in no longer detecting most mailboxes as pedestrians, which resulted in a huge reduction in phantom braking on roads with mailboxes. Now, we have even further VRU perception improvements from the auto-labeler, but importantly we also see a second auto-labeler system ("new static world auto-labeler"). If they can continue developing auto-labelers for additional tasks this quickly, and continue to expand the use of the ones they already have, I expect it will dramatically accelerate progress and reduce development costs.

I'm speculating that the "Improved static world predictions" realized by the new auto-labeler will manifest in less steering wheel jerkiness approaching/executing turns, and will also reduce risk of turning into an incorrect lane.

I'm also excited to see the "Improved lateral control for creeping". Although, I really wish they had also indicated some improvements to lateral control on un-marked roads. I suppose it's possible they made some updates on that front and didn't bother including them in the release notes, but I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment thinking that.

The other thing I really enjoyed here was related to the sheer number of clips being fed into the auto-labelers. I suspect they are mostly selecting clips of times when the current software didn't perform optimally (no need to teach it what it already knows), which implies that our collective testing efforts are leading to progress in a very direct way. I know we all like to tell ourselves/others that our testing is "helping make the software better" (better in some vague way that none of us really understand), but when we don't really hear any feedback from Tesla, it sure does make you question your faith that putting up with so many manure-grade maneuvers is actually accomplishing anything. Seeing that 165k clips number makes me think that a good portion of those had to be selected from the data captured from FSD beta disengagements and snapshots, given those events are good predictors of situations where the current software performed sub-optimally.

So, here we go again on the "next rev will be better" hype cycle. I, for one, savor these moments at the peak of inflated expectations. Talk to you tomorrow from the trough of disillusionment.

yeah I'm also really excited to see the release notes call out the auto-labeling. I've definitely been conservative with my AP snapshots, thinking Tesla is swamped manually labeling all of our submissions. Now I'll be using that button more and submitting multiples of areas where the car always fails.

I was hoping to see an improvement for getting my car to accept instructions to drive to my local liquor store and return with a full trunk. I called the liquor store and they said they would put my order in the trunk and weren't concerned there wouldn't be a driver in the car. Alas, no such notes for this feature I requested.... maybe 10.5.1?

I was hoping to see an improvement for getting my car to accept instructions to drive to my local liquor store and return with a full trunk. I called the liquor store and they said they would put my order in the trunk and weren't concerned there wouldn't be a driver in the car. Alas, no such notes for this feature I requested.... maybe 10.5.1?

not quite. maybe in version 100.5.1.

Main reason is probably because the perception is currently not good/sure enough until the vehicle gets closer with a better view of the turn. Theoretically the neural networks with more training should be able to make the prediction earlier and more confidently resulting in a smooth turn, but at least right now, it's actually very important that FSD Beta makes these "real time" jerky corrections to its path.

There's a left turn where FSD Beta 10.x doesn't see the destination past the median until it is in the middle of the intersection, so it actually starts the turn aiming towards oncoming traffic to the left of the median. Here's a Google Street View of the turn except it's from a higher vantage point, which I believe also helps the Y take the turn better than the 3:
View attachment 734518

Similarly, right turns can get confused by bike lanes and/or parking lanes such as this turn that has both (and wife actually messaged me complaining about this just yesterday :p). And of course faded lines or those covered up by dirt/tire tracks are likely to confuse the perception:
View attachment 734519
Yup. At one specific intersection mine turns on the turn signal to get into the narrow bike lane, turns it off then just at the street it turns it on again.