Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good points.

The annoying thing to me is that it wouldn't have taken a rocket scientist to figure out that the current camera suite was inadequate. Anyone who pays attention to driving and thinking like a computer would have realized that you needed better 90 degree side view cameras. Several of them.

The car is only as good as its sensors allow it to be. To take a simple example, auto park. It works, but always parks at least 6 inches away from the curb. A human can do better. Why? Because the car vision resolution at curb level sucks. 960 x 480 pixel resolution by 6 bits of color is horrible. The hardware can't support higher resolutions when driving at 80 MPH, but it sure can use it when driving at 1 MPH. Tesla really didn't think through its camera suite properly.

When I wrote my AI day summary I noted that there was a lot of optimization that Tesla could do that they just haven't had the time to do yet. I wouldn't be surprised by a 2x or more speedup once they give themselves the time to optimize a few things. That's just another reason why I call this alpha level software.

So, I've had a refreshed Model X on order since February but when my turn comes up, I'm now going to defer until I see a new sensor suite. The fact that non-radar AP folks are less than impressed with freeway autopilot also freaks me out (I have radar in my 2019 Model X). Freeway AP works flawlessly for me, and it sounds like they've gone backwards on that.
If you have the beta loaded, isn’t radar completely disabled? That’s what I took the email to mean which says that my car is now on Tesla Vision.

Hopefully all of us will get to experience significantly improved FSD Beta 10.5 soon too:
You should probably tone your expectations down a bit. From what I’ve seen on forums, these things can be very area dependent. I’ve had good experiences for the most part with the Beta (SoCal suburbs with occasional forays into DTLA) and think I’ve seen improvements with each release, but for many others in areas that aren’t as “overfit” as SoCal they’ve had negative experiences and some possible regressions instead.

You should probably tone your expectations down a bit. From what I’ve seen on forums, these things can be very area dependent. I’ve had good experiences for the most part with the Beta (SoCal suburbs with occasional forays into DTLA) and think I’ve seen improvements with each release, but for many others in areas that aren’t as “overfit” as SoCal they’ve had negative experiences and some possible regressions instead.
I don't think SoCal has any "overfit". Bay area might have some. We are mostly talking about the planner here.

BTW, Elon was specifically referring to Lombard St - which the internal testers in the FSD Beta team may have tried.

Looks like a typical sycophant trying to get their 10 seconds of fame by having Elon respond ...

Of course, I have no idea who the person really is ...
In this particular instance, the sycophant in question is an actual Tesla employee that works in the solar division.

Personally, I'm just glad to see someone that is very happy to be working at Tesla, what with all the bad PR a few employee relations problems seen all over the press lately.

Sure is odd how other companies employee problems barely even twitch the pulse of news outlets (if at all), but every time there's an unhappy employee at Tesla, it's front page news for days, if not weeks.

A Tesla involved in a traffic accident? Stop the presses! A Tesla catches fire? Stop the presses, and interrupt regularly scheduled programming (you might be old, if you remember those two things).

There's an unhappy employee at Tesla? Short the stock!

And don't even get me started on how Sleepy Joe stated that GM is the automobile electrification leader.

*sigh*

But yeah... an employee that got 10.5 sent to them.

It looks like their new "staggered release" involves sending the beta out to employees first, then if that goes well, sending it out in small batches to everyone else over the next few days.

Guess we'll know that the employee release went well if we see a few of us non-employee testers get it early Monday morning.

In this particular instance, the sycophant in question is an actual Tesla employee that works in the solar division.

Personally, I'm just glad to see someone that is very happy to be working at Tesla, what with all the bad PR a few employee relations problems seen all over the press lately.

Sure is odd how other companies employee problems barely even twitch the pulse of news outlets (if at all), but every time there's an unhappy employee at Tesla, it's front page news for days, if not weeks.

A Tesla involved in a traffic accident? Stop the presses! A Tesla catches fire? Stop the presses, and interrupt regularly scheduled programming (you might be old, if you remember those two things).

There's an unhappy employee at Tesla? Short the stock!

And don't even get me started on how Sleepy Joe stated that GM is the automobile electrification leader.

*sigh*

But yeah... an employee that got 10.5 sent to them.

It looks like their new "staggered release" involves sending the beta out to employees first, then if that goes well, sending it out in small batches to everyone else over the next few days.

Guess we'll know that the employee release went well if we see a few of us non-employee testers get it early Monday morning.
Looks like EAP people got it last night, and 100s will get it tonight. Guess we will know tomorrow!

Interesting ... not sure why they are tweeting. Tesla employees should be under NDA.

Anyway, here is one more employee who posts videos ... "AI Addict" who is clearly not a sycophant ;) Looking forward to what he says.

Here is his 10.4 video that came out before 10.4 went out to everyone.

Interesting ... not sure why they are tweeting. Tesla employees should be under NDA.

Anyway, here is one more employee who posts videos ... "AI Addict" who is clearly not a sycophant ;) Looking forward to what he says.

Here is his 10.4 video that came out before 10.4 went out to everyone.

It's great to see what is, IMO, honest coverage of what FSD is capable/incapable of doing.

It sure seemed like the vast majority of FSD Beta videos on YouTube prior to the beta expansion consisted of highly curated content that showed FSD being far more capable/competent than it really was.

Even more eye opening is how some of these channels have stopped such editing, and are now showing much more realistic coverage.

And yes, it really is odd to see the solar guy Tweeting like that. Around a month ago, Elon actually said publicly, "I'm not even sure why we have NDA's," so maybe he lifted them all?

My wife came home yesterday looking like she'd seen a ghost; she'd used FSD Beta for the first time. I really wish I'd recorded it. ;)

It's great to see what is, IMO, honest coverage of what FSD is capable/incapable of doing.

It sure seemed like the vast majority of FSD Beta videos on YouTube prior to the beta expansion consisted of highly curated content that showed FSD being far more capable/competent than it really was.

Even more eye opening is how some of these channels have stopped such editing, and are now showing much more realistic coverage.

And yes, it really is odd to see the solar guy Tweeting like that. Around a month ago, Elon actually said publicly, "I'm not even sure why we have NDA's," so maybe he lifted them all?

My wife came home yesterday looking like she'd seen a ghost; she'd used FSD Beta for the first time. I really wish I'd recorded it. ;)
Companies engaged in developing potentially patentable innovation typically have NDA's, because you can't validly patent something that is already public, and without an NDA, it's harder to prove it wasn't public to begin with

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
The merge stuff should be interesting to test. Sadly I don’t see anything here about driving in the correct part of the road when no markings exist, particularly when approaching a turn, entering turn lanes to turn, suppressing unnecessary lane changes in turn lanes, and preventing unnecessary steering movements.

So seems like it should be mostly the same, as expected. I’m curious about whether the improved road marking prediction helps at all with some of the situations where FSD repeatedly fails for me. I doubt it will though, as it seems like a logic/path planner issue, not a perception issue.
Will be nice when that does finally get addressed. I don't think the prior version mentioned anything about it either, but there was a slight improvement (perhaps just building the foundation). I now sometimes see fleeting yellow dotted lines on an unmarked residential street., and it sometimes drives on the right side. We'll see!

I disagree. I watched Beta videos pretty voraciously, and there were plenty of YouTubers who didn’t pull punches and showed unedited drives where the car struggled. TeslaRaj and Silicon Valley owner were sycophants (the idiotic “Elon you madman!” Crap got very old, very quick), but guys like Brandon and Chuck and Frenchie and Dirty Tesla and James Locke were putting out videos that clearly were not editing out the bad bits. Brandon became a little infamous for his constant “Oh my god” comments during his drives in Sacramento while Beta was doing something dumb. Chuck was repeatedly showing how the Beta couldn’t do his difficult complex lefts while also stating his doubt of the wisdom of the camera placements. Frenchie’s vids of his first few experiences with Beta is Chicago were ROUGH with him having to constantly disengage to keep the Beta from curbing his wheels on practically every turn and he had more than a couple of instances where the Beta screwed up lefts turns so badly it tried to turn into the opposite side of the street that had cars sitting there, waiting for the light. James Locke didn’t have many bad issues, but he also basically doesn’t edit his videos at all, not even speeding up sequences where he’s waiting at red lights. Dirty Tesla is clearly a Tesla fan so you could argue he was more generous in his commentary, but he still shows entire drives, just with boring portions fast forwarded, and has shown multiple bad drives and has commented on regressions and disappointments. Even a guy like AIDrivr, who clearly is a huge fan of the beta, was putting out vids showing the Beta doing some insanely dumb things (like turning right from the wrong lane in front of a bunch of people waiting in the proper right turn lane) even if he was somehow praising Beta for doing something so profoundly stupid and asshole-ish.

None of their videos have really changed since the wider expansion, except that they’re putting out fewer vids, which makes sense because there’s probably less interest (the most dedicated viewers - like me - likely have beta themselves now) and they’re probably tired of doing them since it’s a lot of work for basically no reward. They were essentially providing a public service for the curious (very few people were making much, if any, money off of the vids), and now that people basically have the beta, there’s less need to put out vids to show people Beta’s progress, or lack thereof.

but guys like Brandon and Chuck and Frenchie and Dirty Tesla and James Locke were putting out videos that clearly were not editing out the bad bits.
I agree.

The only thing I didn't know was how rough beta was (like all the wheel jiggling before a turn). But those are things difficult to figure out when watching a video compared to actually driving.

No different from watching the video of a mountain climb compared to actually climbing !

I agree.

The only thing I didn't know was how rough beta was (like all the wheel jiggling before a turn). But those are things difficult to figure out when watching a video compared to actually driving.

No different from watching the video of a mountain climb compared to actually climbing !
Brandon was pretty vocal about how rough the Beta was and how it was so bad he got car sick a few times. He also said it improved a ton over the course of several updates, and that they smoothed out the driving a lot. Then we got the Beta and it was pretty rough, so Imagine how terrible it was for those poor initial beta testers, lmao.

Here is my take on 10.5 changes.

• ⁠Improved VRU (pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcycles) crossing velocity error by 20% from improved quality in our auto-labeling.

This should affect when the car starts moving again after a VRU crosses the road etc. But I think the car is already pretty good - so probably no noticeable improvement.

• ⁠Improved static world predictions (road lines, edges, and lane connectivity) by up to 13% using a new static world auto-labeler and adding 165K auto-labeled videos.

Thats a ton of videos. These could be new videos we uploaded or ones they already had or even ones from the wider fleet. Not sure how to interpret that 13% improvement. Is that in true positives i.e. if earlier 80 out of 100 edges were correctly predicted, is that now 90 out of 100 edges ? That would be a 50% cut in error rate. But if that 13% is in false positives or false negatives - the error rate reduction would be much less. So, depending on what this really is - the improvement would be easily noticeable ... or not.

• ⁠Improved cone and sign detections by upreving the generalized static object network with 15K more video clips and adjusting oversampling and overweighting strategies (+4.5% precision, +10.4% recall).

Should improve construction zone behavior ?

• ⁠Improved cut-in detection network by 5.5% to help reduce false slowdowns.

Phantom braking !! - but 5.% is a small improvements. Difficult to notice - if there were earlier 20 phantom braking events, with 10.5 there would be 19. But if they can keep this kind of improvement, over 10 releases, we'll notice an improvement.

• ⁠Enabled “emergency collision avoidance maneuvering” in shadow mode.

Interesting. So they are going to see what we actually do when a FCW shows up vs what the s/w would have done. Will form the basis of future s/w changes.

• ⁠Enabled behavior to lane change away from merges when safe to do so.

Does that mean the car will move to a different lane if the current lane is merging with another lane (like we do on freeways) ?

• ⁠Improved merge object detection recall by using multi-modal object prediction at intersections.
• ⁠Improved control for merges by increasing smoothness of arrival time constraints and considering possible merging objects beyond visibility.

Both these together should make merges better (less bad). Currently FSD doesn't merge correctly at all - doesn't put indicators and waits till the last second to merge. I don't think the above changes result in overall better planning of merges - just makes sure the car won't hit another vehicle while merging. May be the idea is to go till the end of the merging lane and merge without hitting a vehicle - which might be ok, but they do need to put on the indicator.

• ⁠Improved lane changes by allowing larger deceleration limit in short-deadline situations.

Should be noticeable in such situations.

• ⁠Improved lateral control for creeping forward to get more visibility.

I'm hoping this means better creeping and also jiggling of the wheel while waiting to turn. But may be its just the former - either way, should be noticeable.

• ⁠Improved modeling of road boundaries on high curvature roads for finer maneuvers.

Might be noticeable on twisty roads.

• ⁠Improved logic to stay on-route and avoid unnecessary detours/rerouting.

Does this really mean the car won't try to go around vehicles stopped waiting for a traffic signal or stop sign ... or a school bus - many times away from the turn signal 50 feet away ? Hope so - would surely be noticed by everyone.

You’re reading too much into this. Today the car queues up the most relevant destination of work or home and automatically uses that as the destination.

In the future it may use more cues such as your calendar to know where to go but it still fundamentally works like it has. Just not when you first enter the car. It’s a worthless nuance if the whole point of FSD is you go from driveway to destination. You’re never driving aimlessly at 7am and suddenly decide “oh yeah I’m supposed to go to work… good thing FSD remembered”.
I don't think that is quite right. I am retired and have no work destination. I do have a home destination. My car will go somewhere if I put it in FSD with no destination but I don't know where it is. It is not home unless it is taking the scenic route as the couple times I have done this, I am heading away from home and the car doesn't make any effort to turn around and go back the other way. I don't put locations / destinations in my calendar so it can't be going after those either. Some day when I have time I'll let it go wherever it is trying to go as long as . . .

Reactions: jebinc