Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
" I need the car to creep." I use "chill" mode and the directions indicate that the car will not creep in this mode. What mode do you use? I am going to try the normal mode next time and see what the difference is.
I've been using Chill. I'll probably keep using chill for a couple of more days to be able to compare to 10.4 - and then change to standard.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
First couple drives with 10.5 - the best improvement is that it does a much better job of staying to the right on unmarked roads. It did get startled by something to the right a few times and veered left (no pedestrians/cyclists/anything in sight), but the default behavior has been much better. Remaining annoyances are still there:
* Veering left before making a right turn a solid 50 feet ahead of the intersection (though it did start to point itself to the right as it approached the stop sign). Happened a couple times. No cars coming the other way so I just let it do its thing.
* Abrupt stops before the stop line if there is a pedestrian on either side of the street (happened once with someone on the opposite side, once on the same side). I don't mind if it stops a little short, but it needs to plan for it better. It did stop well a few other times.
* Crawling through intersections - not "creeping for visibility", but maintaining a very very slow pace through the entire intersection once it has decided to go.
* Not taking its turn assertively enough at stop signs - I almost don't mind this one, but combined with the point above, it's hard to gauge how much to press the accelerator if I need to nudge it. Twice I let go too soon because I thought I made my point, and the car decelerated rapidly to its preferred pace instead.

EDIT: another snapshot I sent was where it stopped completely at a stop sign and didn't appear to want to move even after I pressed the accelerator - seemed content to stop if I let go. Ended up pushing it all the way through the turn. It drove under the speed limit for some time before it finally remembered it was on a 25mph street.

Last edited:
Without having been there to experience it, and based on your description, I really doubt FSD even knew there was a slip here.
I expect the car to be fully aware of any slippage. However, in this case, it was either so transient / not a safety risk that it didn't need to react (traction control / stability control), or it did -- ever so briefly / smoothly -- so as not to even be particularly noticeable.

Reactions: impastu
I expect the car to be fully aware of any slippage. However, in this case, it was either so transient / not a safety risk that it didn't need to react (traction control / stability control), or it did -- ever so briefly / smoothly -- so as not to even be particularly noticeable.
In my X, when slippage is detected, an icon is shown in the IC regardless of whether traction/stability control or ABS obviously activate. I have experienced slippage in multiple cases where this icon is not displayed. Two very specific examples that weren't brief or otherwise minimal (since the icon might not be seen in a brief/minimal situation even if it were displayed momentarily) were 4 wheel lockup on ice & understeer in a U-turn where the road was wet and oily. Just because we expect systems to work perfectly doesn't mean that they will. It would stand to reason that FSD would eventually need to know when this type of situation occurs so that it can react, and at that point, additional sensors that already exist in the vehicle may be added to the mix, but I doubt those edge cases are being developed for yet.

Reactions: impastu
In my X, when slippage is detected, an icon is shown in the IC regardless of whether traction/stability control or ABS obviously activate. I have experienced slippage in multiple cases where this icon is not displayed. Two very specific examples that weren't brief or otherwise minimal (since the icon might not be seen in a brief/minimal situation even if it were displayed momentarily) were 4 wheel lockup on ice & understeer in a U-turn where the road was wet and oily. Just because we expect systems to work perfectly doesn't mean that they will. It would stand to reason that FSD would eventually need to know when this type of situation occurs so that it can react, and at that point, additional sensors that already exist in the vehicle may be added to the mix, but I doubt those edge cases are being developed for yet.
The car certainly has access to the data since it's part of the driving / safety system. Whether FSD is using it at this point (directly or indirectly) is another question.

Reactions: mxnym
Went out for a second drive and the only thing I can say is that was the worst drive on any FSD version I've ever had. So incredibly bad I finally just gave up and reported the problems to Tesla. And I was so looking forward to a positive drive after seeing most people had really good things to say. I have to think the upgrade didn't install properly. And just for my piece of mind I recalibrated the cameras and performed a power off/on.
The update also enabled the confirm lane change which I didn't realize until I was on the highway. Me bad for not checking all my settings.

:( I just did a drive from Salem NH to Seabrook NH and back. Car did really well on the local streets. I haven't yet experienced anything that would make me ragequit like I did for 10.4. so weird that we all can have such different experiences.

This mornings run on the new 36.8.8, I'm getting Phantom Braking where I have never experienced it before. Looks like the driveways from the warehouses and businesses are causing it to brake. Never had this happen in the past 3 years or on 36.8.5.

NOA on the highway run today would not change into the right lane. The lane would turn blue, the box the car was going into was projected, blinker just kept blinking and car would not move over. I had to manually intervene each time and I tried multiple times. There were no cars or vehicles nearby and highway clearly marked, no issues with sun or anything else. Car has never had a problem on this local highway. If i put the left blinker on it would turn the lane blue project the box and move over immediately. Interestingly when I was in the right lane and had to exit, it put the signal on and moved over on it's own. Not sure why noa right lane change is no longer working under 36.8.8

Maybe I'll make a run with Autolane change no prompt and see if i can get it to do it without me signaling. Also I'll make a run with Beta turned off too and see what happens.

I wouldn't have expected a behavior change with NoA, given that FSD is its own code stack. But who knows....

Went out for a second drive and the only thing I can say is that was the worst drive on any FSD version I've ever had. So incredibly bad I finally just gave up and reported the problems to Tesla. And I was so looking forward to a positive drive after seeing most people had really good things to say. I have to think the upgrade didn't install properly. And just for my piece of mind I recalibrated the cameras and performed a power off/on.
The update also enabled the confirm lane change which I didn't realize until I was on the highway. Me bad for not checking all my settings.
Tesla pushed out the update again and that helped alot.

I wouldn't have expected a behavior change with NoA, given that FSD is its own code stack. But who knows....

This mornings run on the new 36.8.8, I'm getting Phantom Braking where I have never experienced it before. Looks like the driveways from the warehouses and businesses are causing it to brake. Never had this happen in the past 3 years or on 36.8.5.

NOA on the highway run today would not change into the right lane. The lane would turn blue, the box the car was going into was projected, blinker just kept blinking and car would not move over. I had to manually intervene each time and I tried multiple times. There were no cars or vehicles nearby and highway clearly marked, no issues with sun or anything else. Car has never had a problem on this local highway. If i put the left blinker on it would turn the lane blue project the box and move over immediately. Interestingly when I was in the right lane and had to exit, it put the signal on and moved over on it's own. Not sure why noa right lane change is no longer working under 36.8.8

Maybe I'll make a run with Autolane change no prompt and see if i can get it to do it without me signaling. Also I'll make a run with Beta turned off too and see what happens.
I just reran the same route on the highway and there was absolutely no issue with changing into the right lane. I have no idea what was going on this morning. Maybe because I was headed east and the sun was to the south and was causing an issue on the right side of car? I changed in and out of the right lane without incident, both with traffic all around and with none, NOA changed into the right lane flawlessly.

36.8.8 improvement over 36.8.5. There was an entrance ramp to the highway right off the end of a right hand turn on a 4 lane intersection, On 8.5 the car would try to go on the entrance ramp instead of staying left to continue. Now on 8.8 it doesn't try to go right, it stays left and continues on. That's a nice fix, I no longer have to intervene.

Couple more drives running errands; I do think that anyone experiencing intervention-free drives either lives in a non-challenging area or is extremely patient when the beta decides to do something strange.

Sample interventions:
* Car decided to change lanes to the left across a solid white line directly in front of a median separating the lanes. Unclear why because the only upcoming maneuver was a left turn 5-6 blocks further down the road.
* Semi-occluded turn that I've had beta take a few times before, with a small bus in front of me. I had to force the car to go into the turn lane because the path looked like it wanted to go around the bus and thus miss the turn lane completely. The turn itself has always been sketchy but this was the sketchiest performance so far. Car did not turn nearly as much as it should, also sounded FCW alarm likely related to that. Previously it would turn and go a little wide needing a takeover near the end of the turn but this was at the start of the turn. I bet it was because the bus was obstructing much of the view of the target road.
* Strange on-ramp after a traffic light; directly before the traffic light, there is a dedicated lane aimed the on-ramp with concrete curbs on both sides. FSD beta did not take the dedicated lane so I took over to put it there; at the light it tried to go left onto another road instead of going straight onto the on-ramp. Maybe some weird map issue, I'll take a look at TomTom later.
* Almost missed another weird turn aiming slightly uphill where the stop line was maybe 50 feet before the turn. It wasn't visualized while stopped at the light so clearly there was trouble seeing it until it was too late; took over because the car wanted to go straight instead.

On the positives:
* It does feel smoother overall with fewer instances of jerkiness, both accelerating/decelerating and turning.
* Maintains an appropriate pace through narrower streets as well as when passing double parked vehicles.
* Took one forward-facing unprotected left really well, starting to move just as the last car in the lane furthest away was crossing the intersection. I wish it would act the same way at stop signs.

Late afternoon drive lots of shadows on the road and lots of phantom slowing. On back roads with no lines or faded lines, car several times jerked the wheel left and went into the opposite lane. On very narrow road with yellow center line car stayed in the center of the road ( which is what I would have done) but kept stopping or slowing, we were headed East, the sun was low in the sky to the west, the only thing I can think is the car saw its own shadow and got scared. As in " its afraid of its own shadow"

I feel like driving on roads with lots of curvature has regressed a bit. If I watch the path planner line, it will occasionally get all jumbled up at the far end of the prediction, and then this is followed by unwanted slowdowns of 3-5 mph. It'll do this randomly over and over where it never did before in earlier builds. Then on a road with even tighter bends it won't slow down at all. Classic AP has no issues on these roads.

1637708015110.png

Has anyone tested can one turn OFF the FSD beta in settings for some period of time and get back to regular EAP/AP and allow the car to drive on highways at above 80 mph? and then of course, turn the FSD Beta back on in settings and pick-up where we left off?
I have disabled beta then turned it back on (have to be parked to turn back on) but my understanding is the radar stays disabled and its the vision only not beta specifically that limits it to 80mph although I am not 100% sure on the radar staying disabled with beta disabled.

Today's ride had more auto-disengagements than I can remember. Most of them were for no apparent reason and unexpected. I suspect it has to be due to the sun being lower in the sky in late fall, especially in mid/late afternoon. Lots of glare and sharp shadows.

This could explain why the few who tested 10.5 at night time seemed to give it major thumbs up. I'll have to go out at night or drive on an overcast day to see how 10.5 compares to earlier builds.

I can sum up 10.5 in two words
Totally, Useless.

I would have used three words by putting an F word in between but I figured why not just be efficient.

Wow, just wow.

** At this point I‘m going to reach out to Tesla beta and see if they want to check if there is something wrong with my car, that the car can’t figure out on it’s own, or that their sensors or calibration can’t detect deficiencies or problems that would yield this type of failed result. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and try and verify.