Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the round about in TomTom map ? It gets confusing to FSD if it’s not in the map.

Without looking at the map, there is a way to tell. On the Nav steps, FSD will show any roundabouts.
Nope, not on the map. I think they put them in just to slow people down, and thus there is just an awkward detour:
DA603267-AA0E-4178-B266-4D9B8C6A1D11.jpeg

Yeah, I guess it would be.. what is odd is that there was more than ONE RED light in this intersection and just as the NN will confer with each other/s to come up with concenssus, I wonder why it wouldn't take ALL the visible lights into consideration to validate RED vs. NOT red. The other lights in this intersection were of course all still RED to the human eye and they were ALSO red in the UI (at least what was displayed on the Tesla screen)
May be that one light was flickering - but you couldn't tell ? Like how TV would flicker when you see a video of it ...

Nope, not on the map. I think they put them in just to slow people down, and thus there is just an awkward detour:View attachment 737655
Okay, I’m just going to say this street / traffic obstical would confuse even ME at first sight. Sadly, I wonder if this is possibly an alternate landing site for one of SpaceX rocket boosters?

We have:
Just read the instructions
Of course I still love you

This one might be called

JUST DONT HIT MY HOUSE!

May be that one light was flickering - but you couldn't tell ? Like how TV would flicker when you see a video of it ...
It’s possible but I was staring at it pretty intently, I’m going back today and try and recreate the situation and will film the light cluster with another camera with slow sync and slow motion (high FPS) capability.

I love seeing insanely high upstream network traffic from the Model 3. Means I did something useful to Tesla today on my drives :D I'm seeing uploads that go beyond just my snapshots. Unless snapshot size got bigger with 10.5.....
Yup, same here.

Did a little experiment yesterday.

Drove around for a bit using 10.5, but made sure I never hit the Report button. I did this just to see if my car would have a chat with the Mothership that night.

It did. Even with no reports submitted, my car uploaded just under 2 gigs of data.

Had an interesting drive home yesterday afternoon. Ended up on Sorrento Valley Blvd/Calle Cristobal heading east from Vista Sorrento Parkway to Camino Ruiz using 10.5, and it happened that every single traffic light on this road was off (meaning no flashing red - just off). Was a good test for FSD and also got it on GoPro (might post it sometime if I ever pull it off). There were 10 opportunities to test the behavior (10 intersections with traffic lights out).

I was driving away from the sun with the sun low in the sky at 4PM. So some of the traffic lights were well illuminated. Some were in shade.

For the traffic lights that were illuminated by the sun, usually the perception detected them as yellow, and just slowed down way in advance like the light was yellow. A tap on the accelerator seemed to override that and allowed me to proceed to the stop line. I did have to override at that point because then it would tend to go through as I recall.

There was one well illuminated light that seemed to be perceived as green. No evidence of slowing, so had to disengage for that. It just figured it was green.

For the non-illuminated shaded lights, the car seemed to recognize them (or map them) and saw they were out. For those lights, the car came to a stop pretty reliably. However, it did not treat the intersection as a four-way stop. It just stopped. And then I had to proceed manually (accelerator input was enough to get it going again, so not actually a need to disengage and re-engage).

I'll review the footage and see whether there is anything else interesting. One person had crashed off the road into a wall at an intersection. I'm not sure whether it had anything to do with the lights being out. FSD did better than that, I guess? Though it would have crashed without me at the wheel on that "green" light, I suspect (or at least put others at risk - obviously people were generally proceeding with caution, so they probably would've seen the FSD Tesla bombing for the 4-way stop intersection at 40mph if I had let it go).
Maybe at some point in the future, traffic lights will transmit a low power radio transmission that sends: 1. Traffic light identifier 2. "Color" of light 3. Time remaining for that color 4. Error code or anti-hacking checksum

Last edited:
Maybe at some point in the future, traffic lights will transmit a low power radio transmission that sends: 1. Traffic light identifier 2. "Color" of light 3. Time remaining for that color 4. Error code or anti-hacking checksum
This is already in place in some areas, and they can also receive signalling from emergency services to override the light on demand during emergencies. Not sure how pervasive it is though. Certainly local DOT has some overall system capability for this but that would be through central control.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Not quite - one street has stop signs (left/right in the image), the other does not. Shouldn’t every direction have an equal right of way in a roundabout? It still confuses me too somewhat
LOL. So, didn't want to spend the time & money needed for a proper roundabout and just put a few poles and called it a day. Pathetic.

Or worse, the contractor pocketed 90% of the money.

Don't know about all the magic used to determining light color but wouldn't it be better if the whatchamacallit just looked at the upper light which is always the red one and see if the lower light which is a ways the green is on or off to make a decision?
What about orange ? What about horizontal lights ? What about turn lights ?

Life isn't as simple as one would wish ...

What about orange ? What about horizontal lights ? What about turn lights ?

Life isn't as simple as one would wish ...
Aren't all of these lighting positions standardized? People who are color blind can still drive. All I was saying is there are other ways of identifying a traffic signal and I would think that the really smart people at Tesla would have already worked that into the system they use to ID whether or not the car should go or stop.

Aren't all of these lighting positions standardized? People who are color blind can still drive. All I was saying is there are other ways of identifying a traffic signal and I would think that the really smart people at Tesla would have already worked that into the system they use to ID whether or not the car should go or stop.
There is a talk by Karparthy that shows how varied and difficult traffic lights are. You should watch that.

• Helpful
Reactions: old pilot