Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a few of those in my area (receiving a signal from emergency vehicles that is, not transmitting light status). Long before you see the emergency vehicle in the area, a weird white light turns on above the traffic light, then several seconds later all lights turn red, and then after just long enough for people to be really confused, an ambulance or fire truck will show up and drive through, and then the white light turns off and it goes back to normal operation.

The only time I had it happen while on FSD, I was already at a red light, so it was just a really long duration red with a white light on top for a while from where I was. FSD stayed put as expected
I guess I was typing when you posted this. Sounds like radio and not infrared, in spite of my comment just above.

Screenshot_20211127-121226_Enlighten.jpg

Any guesses as to which 2 times today I charged my Tesla? Thank you solar!

Did make one MAJOR mistake that it ALWYAS makes. Turning onto 14th Street from the outside turn lane it always tries to go into the inside lane an I have to disengage
May be they don't have the feature "turn into the correct lane" implemented yet. Currently FSD Beta works only for a single turn lane.

Also, considering the fact that FSD seems to not turn in a proper arc a lot of the times, I'd not use it in multi-turn lane situation.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Don't know about all the magic used to determining light color but wouldn't it be better if the whatchamacallit just looked at the upper light which is always the red one and see if the lower light which is a ways the green is on or off to make a decision?
ROFL! And what about horizontal traffic lights or ones with extra turn signals?

May be they don't have the feature "turn into the correct lane" implemented yet. Currently FSD Beta works only for a single turn lane.

Also, considering the fact that FSD seems to not turn in a proper arc a lot of the times, I'd not use it in multi-turn lane situation.
Actually I think it sees the number of lanes but disregards their assignments until after the turn. I have numbered them way I think Tesla see them. It sees BLUE as lane 1, RED as lane 2 and GREEN as lane 3. I have been on the inside lane (BLUE) and it turns into what it thinks is the correct (BLUE) lane which is a dedicated Left turn lane. It then has to right turn out of the BLUE/Left turn lane to go straight.

So in effect it needs to see the BLUE to RED as a lane and RED to GREEN as a lane to do the correct maneuver. It just doesn't seem to understand that turning into a Left turn lane is wrong and that (BLUE) Left turn lane should NOT be used in its "decision".

EDIT: Humans also make this mistake and you do get a LOT of horn honking at this turn.

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 4.54.21 PM.png

I find the multilane turns sometime scary, and I usually disengage, but there is one multilane turn near my house that it has been so successful on recently that I have let it try with cars beside it a couple of times, and it successfully completed them.

It's at the south end of Randolph Road in Charlotte, NC. The leftmost lane can turn, or go straight into a cul-de-sac neighborhood. Another left-turn-only lane opens up shortly before the intersection with Sardis. I have only tried it from the leftmost, turn-only lane.

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 5.49.53 PM.png

I was pleased today to notice that it visualized the arcing turn line in a two-lane left turn intersection. That wasn't the way we happened to be going, so I can't say whether it would have picked the correct target lane, but at least visualization shows it has a clue. Of course, not all such intersections have the turn line painted.

I’ve had two days of surprisingly good drives. Simple stuff, but very smooth and “human like”. Biggest issue is the phantom braking on rural 45-55mph roads. Overcast vs. sunny makes no difference. Still happens.

Also, unmarked rural roads it doesn’t perform well on either, but, unmarked roads in the small town I live near with curbs on either side of is does great on. They must have spent more time labeling for curbs, rather than “edge of road”?

The more I drive with 10.5 the more impressed I am. Someone said it well, along the lines of "no safety issues, just rough edges". I'll always be the first to take over if I think I can do better. Nicki and I did a lot of city driving tonight with sections of freeway, downtown pedestrian hell, you name it. I took over 3 times, to do it "my way". But it was doing OK on its own, mostly better than I usually do. From 10.2 to 10.5 improvements have been been very significant. I'm starting to rely on it.

I do use the Speed Scroll Wheel all the time, both up and down, as speed limit signs are misleading and insufficient. You might be merging into a freeway at 35 MPH and only a human knows the car can/must immediately speed up to freeway speed, if there's no 65 MPH sign for a long distance. Or if the car enters a curve too fast for comfort. Or you might be tooling along at 75, and a 65 MPH sign makes the car slow down. I've been using the speed wheel for 3 years with NOA, and consider it part of the controls, don't mind it at all.

Running in Mad Max and Assertive, one thing I haven't tried: does anyone know if any setting, say Chill, puts a little damper on that over-enthusiastic "Whee, I'm free :p " acceleration coming out of speed limits, posted or inferred?

Last edited:
ROFL! And what about horizontal traffic lights or ones with extra turn signals?
There is standardization of the positioning of the lights. Traffic light - Wikipedia
The standard traffic signal is the red light above the green, with yellow between.

When the traffic signal with three aspects is arranged horizontally or sideways, the arrangement depends on the rule of the road. In right-lane countries, the sequence (from left to right) is red–amber–green.[citation needed] In left-lane countries, the sequence is green–amber–red.[citation needed]

Horizontally mounted signals in Japan

A traffic signal in Halifax, Nova Scotia, with specially shaped lights to assist people with colour blindness
Other signals are sometimes added for more control, such as for public transportation and right or left turns allowed only when the green arrow is illuminated or specifically prohibited if the red arrow is illuminated.

All of the beta releases have caused my GPS location to go haywire. It doesn't show my car driving on the street. It's driving through the buildings to either the left or right of the street. Sometimes a 1/2 block away. Each time I get an update, I recalibrate the cameras. This initially works, and then a few days later it's back to GPS location being off. So then I manually turn off FSD Beta, power off the car, reset the scroll wheels and it corrects itself. Until I turn on FSD Beta again. What is up with this? It's also makes my FSD totally buggy driving wise, and I need to disengage every few minutes for major mistakes. Super frustrating. Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

As I've said before, no one is rooting for Tesla and for FSD's success more than me. Have now owned multiple Tesla's (not a flex, I am just a foolishly committed early adopter, always drooling for the latest Tesla tech - wish I was smart enough to have bought their stock rather than upgrading vehicles over the years). Got 10.5 but have been avoiding using/testing FSD for awhile since the experience here in Santa Monica, CA is exhausting and depressing. Finally made a real effort to use 10.5 yesterday on several drives. I am so disappointed. Here, it is demonstrably worse even than last iteration, shakier on turns, equally middle of the road when no lines (until opposing traffic appears, and then too late), tons of abrupt braking, weird diving to right or left as approaching intersections, disengagements, unable to handle roundabouts, etc. My confidence that Tesla can come close to solving this is completely eroded, made worse when I reflect on the years late in the game huge shift to vision only. I truly can't imagine FSD becoming "useable" from where it is now (other than on freeways, where it is pretty decent), and suspect that despite Elon and Co.'s brilliance, FSD will require step-change more sensor and computing power than their current effort. Have others similarly lost faith?

My confidence that Tesla can come close to solving this is completely eroded, made worse when I reflect on the years late in the game huge shift to vision only. I truly can't imagine FSD becoming "useable" from where it is now (other than on freeways, where it is pretty decent), and suspect that despite Elon and Co.'s brilliance, FSD will require step-change more sensor and computing power than their current effort. Have others similarly lost faith?

No, I haven't lost faith, but I do wonder if Tesla will end up focusing on one state (like California) instead of trying to solve the problem for the entire USA all at once. I think what's happening right now is Tesla is solving many issues for one locale, whereas other locales may have regressed or become stagnant.

Have you tried using Assertive? I find that it works better for me.

Someone said it well, along the lines of "no safety issues, just rough edges"..
That someone would be very wrong. Let's not downplay the reality FSD still chooses the wrong lane periodically. It can misinterpret traffic signals when there's a dedicated turning light. In addition, 10.5 seems to fail to signal in some cases. I've seen all 3 of these in the course of a day (yesterday).

I can live with the steering wheel hunting wildly during a turn, and I am fine to nudge the accelerator to urge the car to be less timid. But attempting to run a red, or choosing a turn lane to go straight are clear indications of how unsafe FSD beta can be.