Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

TL/DR – Red Wheel of Death in FSD Beta – lose all AP functions, turn it off and you’ll get AP only, no NOA.

On a recent 600mi trip the Red Wheel of Death came up and knocked out all AP functions of FSD Beta. This was the only warning I received on the trip. The FSD Beta screen stayed same, but no TACC, AP or NOA. Apparently it did not like the overpass on the onramp to PA turnpike. It had no problem with it when I came off the same ramp at Breezewood. I went through the toll booth, pulled to the side, put it in park and then resumed trip, nope still no functions for you. Found a pull off on highway, put in park again, turned off Navigate, got out of car closed the door and then got back in. Still no FSD Beta functions. Screen still remained FSD Beta even though I was on a highway, which was interesting to see. Normally it switches to NOA on it’s own when you hit a highway and then back to FSD Beta when you exit highway. The Screen was no different on the highway than FSD Beta screen around town. I then went to AP screen and turned off FSD Beta. AP screen now showed on highway with the two blue lines. No NOA capability though. Reached a Supercharger and charged up. Turned FSD Beta back on and still no FSD Beta capability or NOA. Reached my destination and did a reboot. Later that evening I turned FSD Beta back on, screen came up but no functionality. Still no NOA either. During trips that evening the screen would switch back and forth from the AP screen to the FSD Beta screen while driving on back roads but still no functions, which was odd to see the screen cutting in and out of FSD Beta as you are driving. Next morning everything was back to normal after it had a good sleep through the night. There was no wifi connection at this location, if it did anything with Tesla it had to have been done through the network.

I did hit the camera button when it freaked out and gave the red wheel of death. Something for the tesla code warriors to look at. Return trip home with FSD Beta was fine. Oh, tunnels now stay in NOA when on highway, they don’t drop to AP when you have FSD Beta turned on. It did struggle with the back mountain roads around the greater Pittsburgh region. Many times hitting or overrunning the double yellow. Concerning when a work truck on those narrow back roads is coming at you and has those wide mirrors and wide wheel wells, dually. Didn’t have problems with seeing over blind hills, i.e., the old phantom braking hot spots, had lots of intermittent slowing though. Did slow down most of the time hitting sharp curves, several times it went in a little fast though, just making sure you’re paying attention. Did miss a left turn even though it called it out and showed it. Also missed the right turn in the two lanes for the on ramp even though it showed it, decided it wanted to take a bite out of the barriers straight ahead, uh no, not today. Too many times it did not turn on the blinker when making exits off highway or turns. Sometimes it would other times not.

I wish the fall back when FSD Beta gets tangled up, was back to normal NOA. Almost had a bad one when it didn’t slow for a sharp exit on the highway, had to jump on the brakes and keep the car from going off the road in the curve, that was some good Talladega. Opps. You forget when you have been using NOA for so many years, that AP alone (which FSD fall back puts you in) isn’t going to do that. It doesn’t take exists. Gets the blood flowing. Everybody awake out there.

So if you get the Red Wheel of death, just go to the screen and switch off beta, you’ll get AP back, but no NOA, or you can just drive manually, ughhh, painful.

Stay safe and keep testing. Check is in the mail or even better, free supercharging being added to your account for being a tester. LoL. Have a Teslarific day.

Inconsistent

Best way to describe Beta for me. Two days ago I bragged about having my first 0 disengagement drive on a route through midtown ATL. This morning made the same drive and it was the worst ever. Stated out turning into a “Keep Moving” lane that it has done many times before. It would not go. Press the Go Pedal and it would jam on the brakes. Car behind so had to disengage. Then got on multi lane and need to move over left 3 lanes and it was hesitant. Was one lane away and a Model S next to me got into the inside turn lane so I could get over at the last second. Then at the green my 3 decided to start turning left WAY before the turn and heading to the Model S. It was full time Phantom Braking with Jerky Wheel and countless disengagement the entire trip. Dreaded the trip back.

The trip back is fundamentally harder and more complex, plus it was now 10AM so traffic count was WAY up. Some how I got my FIRST 0 disengagement drive driving this direction. Other than a few Go Pedals it was decent. Even managing 2 double parked trucks with a car in-between in a row that where in a narrow congested section.

Unbelievable how bad the easer first drive was compared to how decent the drive back was. Or as some of the fanboy YouTube’s would say: “PERFECT DRIVE🤣🤣.

One word: Inconsistent

10.4 downloaded automatically via LTE.
10.5 downloaded automatically via LTE.
Both were waiting for me to install in the AM.

I wouldn't say concerned since Tesla has been rolling the updates out more slowly. However since it does seem like a long time, you may want to reboot your car, connect it to WiFi, and then from the car's touchscreen navigate to the Software page to prompt a software update check with the mother ship.

Reactions: Bill Foster
The "Phantom slow downs" are what is really making things uncomfortable for me. They are just as bad on 10.5 as they were on 10.4 maybe worse... I wish we would get a visual explanation of why the car wants to let off the accelerator. Lack of explanation is always what ends up creating most negative, and unnecessary feedback.

Right now I am just pressing the record button every single time it suddenly slows down... which is about 15-20 times per drive. If I could at least understand why it wanted to slow down, I am sure I'd be pressing it much less. There are few times (car turning into the lane directly next to me, which is understandable that Tesla would want to be cautious that this other car could continue into my lane) I can assume why it might want to slow down, but you know what they say about assumptions...

We have items that get highlighted in blue that are "potential" issues, items in red that "immediate" issues, let's add yellow to these "phantom" issues so we can at least understand why it's happening.

We have items that get highlighted in blue that are "potential" issues, items in red that "immediate" issues, let's add yellow to these "phantom" issues so we can at least understand why it's happening.
Doubtful we'll ever know what is happening and Tesla will never do what you're asking. Just hope the problem will get resolved after a few more updates.

Reactions: Bill Foster
Last night I was driving with beta engaged and hit a garbage can that was laying in the road. This isn't beta's fault directly as I couldn't see it either until the last second. I was travelling down the rural road, it was very dark, a car was sitting at the end of their driveway waiting to pull out (sadly they were just past where the garbage can was so their headlights didn't light up the road where the can was) so beta turned off the high-beams (which again is exactly was I was going to do and in fact disabled auto after it turned the high beams off to prevent it from flashing them) I was looking forward, hand on the wheel then here is this garbage can sitting in the middle of the lane. I slammed the brakes and swerved as much as I could making the tires screech. No warning/action from the Tesla until I was swerving out of the lane and it gave me a "take control immediately vehicle departing lane" warning. I smashed into the garbage can with the front right corner of my car, almost missed it but caught the corner and broke the front bumper fascia, the light in the lower right, and pushed back an ultra sonic sensor that's on the right side of the bumper. I am not mad at beta, a little disappointed that I had better vision and reaction time than the car (sadly still not good enough) I can't help but think, if my car's radar was still enabled this would probably of gone differently. The car maneuvered really well and stayed controllable so I was impressed with how well it handled sadly my reaction time was just a tenth of a second too late and my car didn't seem to react at all.

Inconsistent
I'm of the same mind. I truly am starting to wonder if Tesla does A/B testing on routes to see what will make the driver intervene and use the 'less intervened' option going forward in future releases... Its either that or its just the variations in lighting conditions / traffic conditions that are making for drastically different drives from one to the next. It'll be great one trip when I'm in the car alone, as soon as my wife gets in - phantom brake, weird drift into a right lane that doesn't exist, super hesitant on turns, etc. so typically I now only use FSD when its just me in the car. Going in to this experience I thought my foot would be hovering over the brake 'just in case', but in reality its hovering over the accelerator so I don't get rear ended heh.

Not knocking FSD at all, it'll get there, but its not there yet.

I don't know what to do recalibrations only last about a day before it goes off again. What did support tell you to do?
no response from fsdbeta support. Regular support said it was an FSD issue

@Phlier my workaround was to just disengage and drive manually, it figured itself out 10 miles later.
Much more common is to be 50-100ft off, which is great if you're traveling in the right direction, but a PITA when the car tries to turn into the wrong side road because it thinks its 100ft further down the road than it is.

Reactions: Phlier
Last night I was driving with beta engaged and hit a garbage can that was laying in the road. This isn't beta's fault directly as I couldn't see it either until the last second. I was travelling down the rural road, it was very dark, a car was sitting at the end of their driveway waiting to pull out (sadly they were just past where the garbage can was so their headlights didn't light up the road where the can was) so beta turned off the high-beams (which again is exactly was I was going to do and in fact disabled auto after it turned the high beams off to prevent it from flashing them) I was looking forward, hand on the wheel then here is this garbage can sitting in the middle of the lane. I slammed the brakes and swerved as much as I could making the tires screech. No warning/action from the Tesla until I was swerving out of the lane and it gave me a "take control immediately vehicle departing lane" warning. I smashed into the garbage can with the front right corner of my car, almost missed it but caught the corner and broke the front bumper fascia, the light in the lower right, and pushed back an ultra sonic sensor that's on the right side of the bumper. I am not mad at beta, a little disappointed that I had better vision and reaction time than the car (sadly still not good enough) I can't help but think, if my car's radar was still enabled this would probably of gone differently. The car maneuvered really well and stayed controllable so I was impressed with how well it handled sadly my reaction time was just a tenth of a second too late and my car didn't seem to react at all.
Bummer your car was damaged! Given the actions you had to take, I hope it triggers Tesla to examine the data and video from this to improve FSD Beta.

Bummer your car was damaged! Given the actions you had to take, I hope it triggers Tesla to examine the data and video from this to improve FSD Beta.
I'm really frustrated that I didn't think to hit the video report button, I saved the video clip so I think I will send them that video in an email and maybe they can look back with the time stamp. I mean with the current hardware setup I don't think there was anything else the car could of done since it clearly didn't see the can laying there. The result I'm sure would of been the same had I of been manually driving but like I said I feel like this is where the radar would of really helped.

Inconsistent

Best way to describe Beta for me. Two days ago I bragged about having my first 0 disengagement drive on a route through midtown ATL. This morning made the same drive and it was the worst ever. Stated out turning into a “Keep Moving” lane that it has done many times before. It would not go. Press the Go Pedal and it would jam on the brakes. Car behind so had to disengage. Then got on multi lane and need to move over left 3 lanes and it was hesitant. Was one lane away and a Model S next to me got into the inside turn lane so I could get over at the last second. Then at the green my 3 decided to start turning left WAY before the turn and heading to the Model S. It was full time Phantom Braking with Jerky Wheel and countless disengagement the entire trip. Dreaded the trip back.

The trip back is fundamentally harder and more complex, plus it was now 10AM so traffic count was WAY up. Some how I got my FIRST 0 disengagement drive driving this direction. Other than a few Go Pedals it was decent. Even managing 2 double parked trucks with a car in-between in a row that where in a narrow congested section.

Unbelievable how bad the easer first drive was compared to how decent the drive back was. Or as some of the fanboy YouTube’s would say: “PERFECT DRIVE🤣🤣.

One word: Inconsistent
@JulienW take note of what is happening with your GPS. When you are having really bad runs is it showing as driving on the road and lane you are in (zoom in)? My GPS location has been off and I am trying to figure out if this has anything to do with it. It comes and goes with precision.

@JulienW take note of what is happening with your GPS. When you are having really bad runs is it showing as driving on the road and lane you are in (zoom in)? My GPS location has been off and I am trying to figure out if this has anything to do with it. It comes and goes with precision.
What is shown might or might not indicate a problem since it is just a Google Maps USER display and NOT what the car is using to drive. So it could be the Tesla Navigation Data base is off and displaying the error on Google Maps or it could just be that Google Maps display is incorrect and the Tesla Navigation Data base is correct.

Also driving on city streets I don't find much time to be looking at the screen.:oops::oops:

EDIT: [speculation] The time of day may be a problem too. It seems if it is dark or daylight it works fine. However dawn seems to be more of a problem. Could be wrong but seems at dawn is when I have the most PB, jerky wheel and other problems. Wonder if there is some code change in the software stack for dark and daylight and in between causes conflicts.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Sad the car was damaged.

But I think radar is not good at detecting static objects. There are so many videos of radar Tesla's hitting static objects on the road, from verygreen and others you can checkout ...
True, I just don't know what the answer is then, maybe better cameras or different ones? I have posted before that the cameras seem to not be able to see far enough to make a stop at unmapped stop signs which those are reflective (rural roads with a speed limit of 55). I have noticed my front cameras have a lot of blur or lens flare at night and have seen other people post about that as well (my windshield is clean, like used alcohol even to make sure it was as clean as possible in front of the cameras) this wouldn't of changed anything with the garbage can situation but just saying maybe the cameras overall just might not be good enough? I honestly don't know.

Quick question.. just got FSD Beta 10.5 and am new to the test group. I currently have Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control disabled in settings. Do I need to enable it? It seems like the software is recognizing both and acting accordingly with it turned off so guessing it doesn’t matter as it’s baked in.

Quick question.. just got FSD Beta 10.5 and am new to the test group. I currently have Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control disabled in settings. Do I need to enable it? It seems like the software is recognizing both and acting accordingly with it turned off so guessing it doesn’t matter as it’s baked in.
Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control is only applicable if the Beta is cut off.

I have having an interesting experience with the Beta since last week. There was a road that was diving into 3 lanes at the end: one going left, one right and one can go either way. No way to go straight. The signs were appropriately placed. I drove on that road for a month or so with Beta.

The week before they paved a way to go straight to a new constructed residential area. So now left is left, right is right but middle is straight only.
Still my car is trying to turn left from the middle lane as I (and it) used to do before. The sign is changed so middle lane is showing straight arrow now.

Tesla does not read road signs? I was expecting the car to understand middle is not a turning lane anymore.
This happened twice. I got snapshots. I think emailing fsd email of tesla to let them know too. I have a video of it if I can UL at some point I can share with you and them too.

Yep. Dunno about you but I'm always getting into accidents when I drive through new intersections. Whoopsee! /s

The thing about autonomous cars is they have to be vastly safer than human drivers.

Not just safer, but they have to behave in a predictable manner to gain acceptance.

They can't be making mistakes at intersections.

They're not not given the same kind of leeway to make mistakes like humans are.

Tesla does not read road signs? I was expecting the car to understand middle is not a turning lane anymore.
This happened twice. I got snapshots. I think emailing fsd email of tesla to let them know too. I have a video of it if I can UL at some point I can share with you and them too.

I read, further back on this thread I think, that currently the only signs Tesla reads are speed-limit, stop, and yield.

I think it uses map data for lane direction. That's how the nav shows you which lane, or lanes, you need to be in when you're following the turn-by-turn directions manually. You could try testing this by setting destinations that would require a left or a right turn at that intersection, and then driving up to it with FSD Beta off. If the "next turn" directions indicate that you can be in either the turn or the middle lane, that would confirm that it's map data and it's not updated in your car yet.

I also think they periodically push new map data to every car, but it could be a while before this new traffic pattern shows up in your car.