Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it was in this thread, but someone already reported that their car reversed after pulling out. The car indicated it was still in drive, so if you override with the accelerator the car would probably go forward.
No it doesn't reverse. Someone's perception was confused. This underscores my point on why it must be done carefully because of how easily we can become confused by motion direction.😉

That's kind of circular reasoning. How do you know the car doesn't reverse?
IMG_9424.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg

Sounds GREAT on paper. However this is going to be HUGE change for how he perceive and monitor. What if the car "does the wrong thing at the worst time" and starts reversing when you are mentally "all in" for forward movement. This will cause a slight delay in your response time since you must first process that the car is going backwards instead of forward. We have all suffered this confusion before like sitting at a red light looking down and when we look up the cars on both sides of us are creeping forward at the same pace. We feel like we are rolling backwards up and will hit the brake pedal.

This must be implemented carefully with some type of distinct warning system.
It has been reported, in this thread that the car will go into reverse, now, without any indication to the driver that it is doing so.

4. In one case car tried to do left turn from a parking lot into a 35mph road, while a big truck parked on the left and blocked the view of the crossing traffics. Car creeped into the road but still not far enough to see what’s coming from the left. Then a car did come and the Tesla immediately reversed a foot or two. First time auto reverse for me, while it was completely unnecessary (not even the nose of my car had passed the parking truck). I noticed the car was still in “drive” (blue D) during reserving so it was definitely a weird sensation. After the car passed, my car immediately committed to turn even it couldn’t see what’s behind the truck, so disengaged.
Here's the report of the car going into reverse.

Drove 15 miles on city/residential streets as part of a 80 mile highway trip last night and NoA and FSD were pretty much flawless. Had 1 phantom slowdown of 3-4 mph on the highway and the car tried to move into the left lane twice to follow the route when no cars were in front on me. Just canceled the lane change with the stalk. Even alerted me to an emergency vehicle and advised that I needed to use the go pedal to accelerate which I did. Once past the flashing lights it took over again. Excellent drive. Zero nags on the highway. City/Residential also worked well although there were no difficult roads or intersections plus it was late with minimal traffic. Still my longest zero engagement drive.

I have a question about protected left turns. There is an intersection near my house with a traffic light and single lanes in all 4 directions. The car will stop at the red light with the left turn signal on. If there are cars opposite me, some of which are going straight and some are turning left, the car seems to wait until all the cars clear out before executing it's left turn. This happened last evening where 2 cars in a row turned left opposite me, but the car sat there waiting. If a car across the intersection is turning left, why won't my car go ahead with its left turn?

I have a question about protected left turns. There is an intersection near my house with a traffic light and single lanes in all 4 directions. The car will stop at the red light with the left turn signal on. If there are cars opposite me, some of which are going straight and some are turning left, the car seems to wait until all the cars clear out before executing it's left turn. This happened last evening where 2 cars in a row turned left opposite me, but the car sat there waiting. If a car across the intersection is turning left, why won't my car go ahead with its left turn?
Beta doesn't appear to recognize turn signals yet. Also, I suppose it's safer to assume the turn signal might be on by accident.

Sounds GREAT on paper. However this is going to be HUGE change for how he perceive and monitor. What if the car "does the wrong thing at the worst time" and starts reversing when you are mentally "all in" for forward movement. This will cause a slight delay in your response time since you must first process that the car is going backwards instead of forward. We have all suffered this confusion before like sitting at a red light looking down and when we look up the cars on both sides of us are creeping forward at the same pace. We feel like we are rolling backwards up and will hit the brake pedal.

This must be implemented carefully with some type of distinct warning system.
Certainly a challenge. FSD being able to drive in reverse is coming -- at some point -- if Level 5 is the goal.

The car doesn't act on turn signals of other cars - yet.

For eg. I've a right turn at a T-junction (coming up vertically). If there is a car coming from the left it will wait till the car completely turns - even if the car has turn signal well in advance.

Also, I suppose it's safer to assume the turn signal might be on by accident.
In my right turn scenario from above - a safe thing to do would be to wait until the car starts to turn (so you know it was not on by mistake). Thats what I do in most cases - though a lot of people would make the turn based just on the turn signals.

Last edited:
In my right turn scenario from above - a safe thing to do would be to wait until the car starts to turn (so you know it was not on by mistake). Thats what I do in most cases - though a lot of people would make the turn based just on the turn signals.
In some scenarios even waiting until they start their turn could be problematic. In the original example of an unprotected left on a two lane road with opposing traffic, a large vehicle turning left in front of you might obscure your view of other vehicles behind it. So rather than trying to detect all the different situations and maybe missing something, they probably just wait for a clear gap.

In some scenarios even waiting until they start their turn could be problematic. In the original example of an unprotected left on a two lane road with opposing traffic, a large vehicle turning left in front of you might obscure your view of other vehicles behind it. So rather than trying to detect all the different situations and maybe missing something, they probably just wait for a clear gap.
True - all these things really apply only to neighborhoods with sparce traffic and when you can clearly see behind the oncoming vehicle.