Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No update for me yet - late like last 2 releases.

Anyway, I wanted to make some test runs for phantom braking in day light on a dry day. Today looks good for that.
I agree and to add to my earlier post about phantom braking, I have established it only happens with frequency in residential areas, almost always with a 35 mph speed limit. On faster roads, even with shadows it rarely happens. Taking my 1st drive now, will report back soon.

@Bull I did, for now. Currently on 2021.40.6. Seems like opting back in is a simple as opting back in as the current firmware states I'm still enrolled in the beta program. Waiting to see reports on 10.6, but think I'll wait for v11, before opting back in.
I'm starting to feel the same way as you. Driving around here on the beta takes a lot of effort. Hopefully 10.6 is better.

10.6 observations:

- unmarked neighborhood roads: stays away from center more than 10.5, great! But sometimes cuts over to the oncoming side and stays there for longer.

- a lot more hesitant for right turns when no one is around. 20 seconds to make a turn, including the time it takes for the car to creep up to the stop sign.

- jitter during turns comparable to 10.5

- whimsical hesitations on local 2-lane roads, some due to shadows, some due to phantoms. No change from 10.5.

- handled a couple of previous problematic areas well.

Overall from first drive perspective, slightly better than 10.5.

10.6 observations:

- unmarked neighborhood roads: stays away from center more than 10.5, great! But sometimes cuts over to the oncoming side and stays there for longer.

- a lot more hesitant for right turns when no one is around. 20 seconds to make a turn, including the time it takes for the car to creep up to the stop sign.

- jitter during turns comparable to 10.5

- whimsical hesitations on local 2-lane roads, some due to shadows, some due to phantoms. No change from 10.5.

- handled a couple of previous problematic areas well.

Overall from first drive perspective, slightly better than 10.5.
Wow, was hoping to see a more positive report on 10.6. Four releases now and it seems to be evolving sideways.

Anyone else having their car not change lanes in time to do a turn? I've had that happen on multiple occasions. I've even had it attempt a turn from what ever lane it is in (worst being turning right from the left lane on a three lane road.) Would a camera calibration help with this or is it going to suck for a while?
Don’t forget to use the video icon to report the issues. I was added with 10.3 and, in my city neighborhood, it’s gotten a lot better bc I’ve been reporting every time it makes a mistake.

Last edited:
I’m waiting for 10.6 too. The last two updates, I got them monday night / Tuesday am (2-3am) so hoping it’ll be the same this time. Although, would love to get them Saturday night so I can test on sundays.
I am curious, is anyone not getting the initial release part of the 100% safety score group, or are you 99 or 98? I was 100% and get releases when they first come out.

I had a 100% safety score and I have not yet received the update. I know someone who was below 100% (98 or 99) and already got 10.6. Distribution of the update is not as simple as safety score stratification I think.

Maybe geography has something to do with it? Region the car is so that they get a distribution of data points around the country?

Yesterday - after a long time - I had 2 phantom braking events in the road I used to have them with 10.1/10.2, but not after that. Good thing is I've the video this time and I can analyze what might have happened. I don't know whether I stopped having braking because of new releases or changed weather / light.

One thing to note is - its a winding hilly road - and I've phantom braking while going downhill on the "hill side" - not when going uphill.
I retested this with the same 10.5 - but this time in daytime. I got the exact same slowdowns from 40 mph to 30 mph. Two times on 2 bends.

vlcsnap-2021-12-05-17h13m36s076.png
vlcsnap-2021-12-05-17h14m15s557.png

Then, I returned to the same road minutes later - but this time with just AP using AP profile. As you can see here - no slowdowns at all.

To me this is confirmation that FSD is slowing down for the bends and this is not phantom braking as I had earlier assumed. Those getting such slowdowns on twisty roads should reconsider whether those are phantom braking or just FSD slowing down for the bends.

vlcsnap-2021-12-05-17h14m53s354.png
vlcsnap-2021-12-05-17h15m05s912.png

I was a 99% at the initial release, got 10.2 when it was released in October. Got 10.3 and 10.3.1 in October as well, but haven't gotten anything since. I have a good wifi connection, put on at least 1.5k miles on since last update. Build is 2021.36.5.3

Any idea why I'm not getting 10.4,10.5, or 10.6?