Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hang in there, spokey! Mine downloaded a couple hours ago. It's coming!

Interesting that the first thing you see listed is the Full Self-Driving Suspension warning. I think it was listed last in some of the other versions. Nice that they are now incorporating audible alerts associated with the cabin camera.
the nag is now audible? that's great. That was one of my complaints that you had to take your eyes off the road to see you didn't have your eyes on the road.

One problem I can think of is - if the right side line is partially visible. So, FSD would sometime think of the lane as between the center line and the right side line - and at other times between center line and the road's edge. Then, the road width would constantly change and the car would zig-zag. Happens to me when the road is wet and the Sun is low.

For the speed of turn and stop etc - looks like they need to add a "snow/ice" condition that would reduce allowed acceleration & deceleration. They don't have this snow feature yet.
I think it's fair to say that FSD and snow is a no go for at least this winter. It will take a substantial amount of effort to make FSD snow aware. The difference in how you drive when the road is snow covered with the potential for black ice is dramatically different. Tesla has far too many other problems that need to be addressed. When it's snowing just drive without FSD or stay home. No way I'm going down the 13 percent hill close to my house that navigation wants to use when its snow/ice covered!! I give Tesla a pass on this.

Still on 10.5, I saw something similar to another post where someone noted phantom braking when passing semis - I had a handful of instances of hard braking on the freeway today when passing regular cars. Two of the situations the car next to me just merged into the lane at a normal pace, the other few times were when I was coming up on a car in the adjacent lane. It was overcast with no shadows too. Quite bad performance on the freeway overall.

Edit: remembered 2-3 instances of really bad 90 degree turns too. Most of them were good but several of them overshot the turn in a very jerky way. lots of snapshots recorded today. Hopefully there was space for all of them…

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu
He will say anything to hype it up, we all know this. Normal software convention is for major updates to occur at block point releases (v9, v10, v11, etc.). Guess we will see how the reports are for v10.7 soon!
I am saying this release, at least for me in Florida was 4 steps forward and 0 back.
No hard braking coming up to a red light, pulling up to stop sign line, not 10 feet back, no hard braking approaching stopped cars, and smooth turns.
Just the phantom braking on my 35 mph residential road leading to my street I live on hasn't changed. I felt so confident I followed a state trooper on Fsd for 10 miles, of course hoping he would turn and didn't, but no issues. 57 mile drive , 1 intervention, which was a double left turn and I wussed out thinking I was too close to the big truck to my left during the turn.

Whoops! Car kept its speed and headed straight for the center of the roundabout.

The proper path is to make the right turn, check for traffic, then make a left turn on the right side of the roundabout. Reported to Beta email with these screenshots.

Attachments

• 1089A15A-88F6-4C0E-9A46-411987FCF4EB.jpeg
    1089A15A-88F6-4C0E-9A46-411987FCF4EB.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 48
  • F0B90EBA-2C2F-46DE-9C15-4608D0E6BCF4.jpeg
    F0B90EBA-2C2F-46DE-9C15-4608D0E6BCF4.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
It appears to only relate to the Cabin Camera (not the hands on the wheel). For what it's worth:

"The cabin camera above your rearview mirror can now determine driver inattentiveness and provide you with audible alerts, to remind you to keep your eyes on the road when Autopilot is engaged."
I got the nag while looking at the screen to turn on my headlights. That stinks!

I am saying this release, at least for me in Florida was 4 steps forward and 0 back.
No hard braking coming up to a red light, pulling up to stop sign line, not 10 feet back, no hard braking approaching stopped cars, and smooth turns.
Just the phantom braking on my 35 mph residential road leading to my street I live on hasn't changed. I felt so confident I followed a state trooper on Fsd for 10 miles, of course hoping he would turn and didn't, but no issues. 57 mile drive , 1 intervention, which was a double left turn and I wussed out thinking I was too close to the big truck to my left during the turn.
I've compared beta to an ex girlfriend before and these updates kind of make me think of the same thing. It does the same behavior and I am frustrated about it to the point I don't even get excited for an update because I know it will be more of the same, but also it does some things I really like, then a lot of you on here talk about how great the new update is like her friends saying "she's changed, she doesn't do those things anymore, she's not like that anymore" and then eventually I get my hopes up and give it another chance and then usually more of the same lol

Whoops! Car kept its speed and headed straight for the center of the roundabout.

The proper path is to make the right turn, check for traffic, then make a left turn on the right side of the roundabout. Reported to Beta email with these screenshots.
I just checked and the roundabout is missing on TomTom maps

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211213-123043.png
    Screenshot_20211213-123043.png
    291.8 KB · Views: 38
I just checked and the roundabout is missing on TomTom maps
Gotta wonder how all this will work if map data is so crucial to the behavior, would we need upcoming road modifications etc fed into the map systems used?

You could never have an unsupervised autonomous system if road modifications aren't immediately captured in the map data, or the system needs to rely far less on the map data

I've compared beta to an ex girlfriend before and these updates kind of make me think of the same thing. It does the same behavior and I am frustrated about it to the point I don't even get excited for an update because I know it will be more of the same, but also it does some things I really like, then a lot of you on here talk about how great the new update is like her friends saying "she's changed, she doesn't do those things anymore, she's not like that anymore" and then eventually I get my hopes up and give it another chance and then usually more of the same lol
I have an opening for a 50 minute session later today if you’d like to book an appt. it’s cash only though. No insurance. ;-0

Welp, I suppose we'll waiting for 10.6.1 until this weekend??? Hopefully not later.
O
it would be more convincing if you were followed by the trooper.