Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a few drives with 10.6.1 I'd say that the main improvement is replacing friction braking with regen. The car now smoothly slows for traffic controls and does curvey roads much better. After a few updates with very minor improvements, FSD beta is driving more like a human (in a good way 😉).

And now the bad. Roundabouts are still an adventure, although FSD beta managed to navigate a few single lane roundabouts with cross traffic for me. That's an improvement. It also did a straight through ("2nd exit") on a multilane roundabout with no underwear changes. It still isn't anywhere near confident in navigating multilane roundabouts with any level of traffic. But that is almost an edge case in my opinion when compared to other city streets components. ULTs with limited visibility are much better but I worry about how far the nose of the car pokes into the crossroad. ULTs are often visibility limited and we aren't going to see miraculous improvements with more cameras.

Lastly, just reminder to check EVNow's thread about correcting TomTom map data. Even though the map data version in the car has not changed recently, it's pretty obvious that Tesla has been updating the map data that is used for FSD. I can point to at least two edits of speed limits that my car now recognizes which were previously ignored.

Right. Didn’t Elon state that v10 would be single stack at one point?
My guess is single stack is one of those things Elon severely underestimated the effort - and overestimated the benefit.

ps : Given the potential for regressions, I'm not sure why anyone would be looking forward to single stack. NOA is in a much better shape than FSD Beta now.

Given the potential for regressions, I'm not sure why anyone would be looking forward to single stack. NOA is in a much better shape than FSD Beta now.
That's my thinking also, but one benefit of SS might be the ability to modify settings for lane changes on city streets. Right now, FSD beta ignores the lane change settings on city streets.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
That's my thinking also, but one benefit of SS might be the ability to modify settings for lane changes on city streets. Right now, FSD beta ignores the lane change settings on city streets.
I think thats wrong way to think about it.

We don't really know what they mean by Single Stack at this point. But my take is - instead two separate NN - they will have a combined NN. So its mostly about perception. Planners will continue to be different. So, single stack won't get us lane change settings in the city.

I don't know how they will handle lane change settings in the future - but I feel asking for confirmation in city streets is not very practical. I think they will continue with Chill/Std/Aggressive settings but make them better.

Went for my first 10.6.1 drive. Nothing jumps out as a positive or negative.
- The map changes I got made in TomTom are not part of the release.
- The right and left turns from a stop may be a tad faster. Need more data to confirm.
- Still very wary near VRU, but once it decides what to do, handles them well.
- Roundabouts still have the same issue of hesitancy even when empty. Takes about 3 seconds from slowing down all the way to ~2 mph to starting to increase speed again. But the issue is slowing down to 2 mph - should just go at manageable 10/15 mph. This part hasn't changed and will stand out as a sore thumb to other vehicle drivers.
- Had a couple of almost slowing down to stop situations near other vehicles / VRU. Would have been fine to just slow down to ~ 25 mph. Had to use accelerator.

ps : Those who use superlatives to describe individual releases - I wonder whether they are just assigning normal variability of drives to different releases. i.e. If you have 5 drives with the same build, you can still have a smooth drive and a horrid drive. So, if those happen on different releases, doesn't really mean we can attribute the differences to different builds. We can only tell after a few drives.

Last edited:
Reactions: thewishmaster
Those who use superlatives to describe individual releases - I wonder whether they are just assigning normal variability of drives to different releases. i.e. If you have 5 drives with the same build, you can still have a smooth drive and a horrid drive. So, if those happen on different releases, doesn't really mean we can attribute the differences to different builds. We can only tell after a few drives.

I think 10.6(.1) is a big improvement overall, from my personal experience and also the increased frequency of "good drive" videos.

I think 10.6(.1) is a big improvement overall, from my personal experience and also the increased frequency of "good drive" videos.
Can you quantify ?

I'm using the older videos to get an avg time to complete a right turn or a roundabout, for eg. Then compare to the current version. Similarly we can quantify number of times the wheel jerks.

Ofcourse there is always some subjectivity involved because of different traffic and weather conditions and just randomness. You have to almost do the same thing a dozen times to get a good average (like Chuck Cook or others do).

Reactions: impastu
I'm baffled by all the glowing reviews for 10.6.1, it seems to be multiple steps backwards from 10.5 for me. I think I pushed the button more times today than in any prior day since I originally got FSD beta (10.3).

See this ...

ps : Those who use superlatives to describe individual releases - I wonder whether they are just assigning normal variability of drives to different releases. i.e. If you have 5 drives with the same build, you can still have a smooth drive and a horrid drive. So, if those happen on different releases, doesn't really mean we can attribute the differences to different builds. We can only tell after a few drives.

I seem to remember that it is possible to create updates to tom-tom maps. Can somebody who knows what they are doing add the roundabout?
See this ...

I'm using the older videos to get an avg time to complete a right turn or a roundabout, for eg. Then compare to the current version. Similarly we can quantify number of times the wheel jerks.

Ofcourse there is always some subjectivity involved because of different traffic and weather conditions and just randomness.

Ya it's difficult to quantify. I just have certain details I noticed in earlier versions that are fixed or smoother in this version. Like on protected left turns from the outer lane, the car takes a more sharp angle vs 10.5. In 10.5, it went too wide and it freaked me out because of the oncoming left turners.

Also, 10.6 makes right turns more smoothly and confidently for me, although it sometimes waits forever at unprotected right turns at reds, especially at large intersections.

Again, difficult to quantify, but it's definitely smoother and more human like with longitudinal speed control and lateral movements mid-turn. It's still sometimes jerky when getting into position for a turn.

Reactions: EVNow and RabidYak
I have put at least 3000 miles on beta starting in September. I had my Plaid like 4 days before the safety score started so never really had a chance to get my groove on. I agree it's hard to quantify, however after all these months and miles I can say my commute, which I do 3 days a week 50 miles each way, 50% highway and 50% city has gotten better. I go full FSD once I pull out of my driveway and the same coming home. In the beginning I was getting 7 to 10 interventions each way. People ask me at work everyday, "so, how many today?"...Today I had 1 going to work and 2 coming back. It also felt so good driving yesterday that I took my daughter to school this morning on 100% FSD with no interventions. I have not trusted it enough to have it on when anyone is in the car, especially my kids. So I definitely feel we are on the right track and thanks to everyone here and all the other people joining us in the cause.
Think of how many clips we have all uploaded 🤔... At first I waited almost a whole day before getting the nuts to try FSD. Now it is second nature. We have been reprogramming our driving to not only be safe and defensive, but on FSD the stress level goes up because now you are babysitting the car thinking "what is the worse thing this dumb son of a bitc* can do, and how am I going to react?" So to sum up, I feel major progress and at the same time, perhaps we have learned what the limitations are of FSD and can predict when to clench our butts and be ready!

Also wanted to give a shout out to all the members who welcomed a first time Tesla owner to the club. I was driving a Infiniti QX80, pretty much the exact opposite of a Tesla, like 10 miles to the gallon. There are some cool ass people here who have helped me and many others that I would love to have a beer with.
Except @jebinc... he kinda scares me. Lives in WA... maybe in the woods like Dexter Morgan or something. Did he opt out of FSD because of the in car camera and what someone at Tesla might see him doing.. ?

Last edited:
I have put at least 3000 miles on beta starting in September. I had my Plaid like 4 days before the safety score started so never really had a chance to get my groove on. I agree it's hard to quantify, however after all these months and miles I can say my commute, which I do 3 days a week 50 miles each way, 50% highway and 50% city has gotten better. I go full FSD once I pull out of my driveway and the same coming home. In the beginning I was getting 7 to 10 interventions each way. People ask me at work everyday, "so, how many today?"...Today I had 1 going to work and 2 coming back. It also felt so good driving yesterday that I took my daughter to school this morning on 100% FSD with no interventions. I have not trusted it enough to have it on when anyone is in the car, especially my kids. So I definitely feel we are on the right track and thanks to everyone here and all the other people joining us in the cause.
Think of how many clips we have all uploaded 🤔... At first I waited almost a whole day before getting the nuts to try FSD. Now it is second nature. We have been reprogramming our driving to not only be safe and defensive, but on FSD the stress level goes up because now you are babysitting the car thinking "what is the worse thing this dumb son of a bitc* can do, and how am I going to react?" So to sum up, I feel major progress and at the same time, perhaps we have learned what the limitations are of FSD and can predict when to clench our butts and be ready!

Also wanted to give a shout out to all the members who welcomed a first time Tesla owner to the club. I was driving a Infiniti QX80, pretty much the exact opposite of a Tesla, like 10 miles to the gallon. There are some cool ass people here who have helped me and many others that I would love to have a beer with.
Except @jebinc... he kinda scares me. Lives in WA... maybe in the woods like Dexter Morgan or something. Did he opt out of FSD because of the in car camera and what someone at Tesla might see him doing.. ?
@Ryan27 Dexter is coming for you, bro… he’s coming! 🤣

• Love
Reactions: FSDtester#1