Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've compared beta to an ex girlfriend before and these updates kind of make me think of the same thing. It does the same behavior and I am frustrated about it to the point I don't even get excited for an update because I know it will be more of the same, but also it does some things I really like, then a lot of you on here talk about how great the new update is like her friends saying "she's changed, she doesn't do those things anymore, she's not like that anymore" and then eventually I get my hopes up and give it another chance and then usually more of the same lol
You have had better ex-girlfriends than I. Only did a go-back once at the urging of my friend Tiny. Lesson learned.

So, in what ways is 10.6.1 worse ? The reason I ask is so that others can check those too. I feel - the changes are not location based - but rather scenario / use case based. So, if in a particular situation if you find something is worse, likely it will be worse for others (atleast some others) in other places that are similar too.
Well, when there was talk about steps back in previous versions, I definitely did not have the issues that other people had. That doesn't mean it is location based unless you are using the term loosely (which is the only way I would imply that it is). However, since the upgrade to 10.6.1, I've had more phantom slowing (with and without engagement of the brake, sometimes harshly), seemingly targeting a vehicle intruding on my lane (when I took over, I got an FCW because it was heading straight for it), tons of non-existent vehicles in the non-drivable space on the visualization where there is nothing IRL (practically never saw that on any prior version), and random swerving on wide and clearly marked lanes where it never had an issue before (and even FCWs to go with that random swerving in one case even though there was nothing but clear road ahead [no trees, no bushes, clear painted lines, no changes in road surface]). That's certainly not an exhaustive list, but I think it's enough examples to illustrate my POV.

Reactions: impastu
Well, when there was talk about steps back in previous versions, I definitely did not have the issues that other people had. That doesn't mean it is location based unless you are using the term loosely (which is the only way I would imply that it is). However, since the upgrade to 10.6.1, I've had more phantom slowing (with and without engagement of the brake, sometimes harshly), seemingly targeting a vehicle intruding on my lane (when I took over, I got an FCW because it was heading straight for it), tons of non-existent vehicles in the non-drivable space on the visualization where there is nothing IRL (practically never saw that on any prior version), and random swerving on wide and clearly marked lanes where it never had an issue before (and even FCWs to go with that random swerving in one case even though there was nothing but clear road ahead [no trees, no bushes, clear painted lines, no changes in road surface]). That's certainly not an exhaustive list, but I think it's enough examples to illustrate my POV.
Weird. May be some calibration issue ?

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Still on 10.5 😒, but I took some time today to repeat a loop I've been testing. I finally figured out why FSD sometimes thinks the speed limit jumps from 35 to 50 on one of the roads. I don't know what this sign is, but I did report it so hopefully it gets resolved.
1639529343622.png

Still on 10.5 😒, but I took some time today to repeat a loop I've been testing. I finally figured out why FSD sometimes thinks the speed limit jumps from 35 to 50 on one of the roads. I don't know what this sign is, but I did report it so hopefully it gets resolved.
View attachment 744435
On that topic - Took me a while but I figured out one on my way home from work - there's a "TRUCK SPEED LIMIT 25" sign, and the 'truck' part is pretty worn, so the car aggressively brakes from 45 to 25.
CQKWEE3.jpg

On that topic - Took me a while but I figured out one on my way home from work - there's a "TRUCK SPEED LIMIT 25" sign, and the 'truck' part is pretty worn, so the car aggressively brakes from 45 to 25.
CQKWEE3.jpg
I have seen dedicated Truck speed limit sign, this one is just bolted on, weird, city ran out of money? But nice picture.
I wonder how it does in school zone with
1639530560783.png

anyone have experience with this sign yet? I can't imagine the car can detect who is present.

anyone have experience with this sign yet? I can't imagine the car can detect who is present.

I have one of these in my neighborhood, except it is mounted on a pole with flashing yellow lights that are manually turned on by crossing guards at specific times of day. FSD slows to the lower limit regardless of whether the lights are on or off. I’ve not had the nerve to test it with kids or guards in the crosswalk…

And the end of the zone is marked by an “end of school zone” sign, not a speed limit sign, so it continues to trundle on at the slow speed until I override it. Can’t really call it a bug, it’s the lack of a feature.

I have seen dedicated Truck speed limit sign, this one is just bolted on, weird, city ran out of money? But nice picture.
I wonder how it does in school zone with
View attachment 744443
I think it ignores it because of the school part. It has before, but I'm not sure if it's consistent.

Reactions: aspekt
I have a speed issue with one of the bridges here in Tampa, only stated happening with 10.5 too. The real speed limit on the bridge is 55mph (everyone does 70 though, so I set it at 70). So it starts at 55 but for some reason it suddenly goes to 45 out of nowhere at the same spot on the bridge, then back to 55. Both changes with absolutely no signage around. It happens at the exact same spot every single time that I can now correct my speed to maintain 70mph with a flick of the wheel, both times right after each change.

Because it so consistent it’s gotta be a bug in the mapping data.

I wonder whether they are doing this deliberately to do some A/B tests.
Haha, that's exactly what I've been thinking! It's a sizable chunk still on 10.5 (including me!), and I think (read: hope) they'll give us 10.7 (and skip 10.6.1) to compare results with 10.6.1 in parallel. They'd need to leave the 10.6.1 cars as-is for a period of time (hopefully brief).

Last edited:
I have a speed issue with one of the bridges here in Tampa, only stated happening with 10.5 too. The real speed limit on the bridge is 55mph (everyone does 70 though, so I set it at 70). So it starts at 55 but for some reason it suddenly goes to 45 out of nowhere at the same spot on the bridge, then back to 55. Both changes with absolutely no signage around. It happens at the exact same spot every single time that I can now correct my speed to maintain 70mph with a flick of the wheel, both times right after each change.

Because it so consistent it’s gotta be a bug in the mapping data.
Yeah, that's really annoying! There's a fly-over freeway connector (not a regular entrance/exit ramp) that everyone drives >70 MPH, but the car suddenly drops to like 60! I won't let the car drive there anymore -- until that's fixed.

• Funny
Haha, that's exactly what I've been thinking! It's a sizable chunk still on 10.5 (including me!), and I think (read: hope) they'll give us 10.7 (and skip 10.6.1) to compare results with 10.6.1 in parallel.
I'd say if we don't get 10.6.1 by tomorrow morning, then we're never going to get it and will get 10.7 as the earliest next version.