Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree. It's like your human reaction time from when your eyes see something to when your hands and feet tell your car to do something with the wheel/yolk and pedals.

Because FSD Beta uses the car's cameras to sense the environment, the light entering the cameras (photons which become images and video for the system) are large inputs for FSD Beta to figure out what's around the car to then decide what to do. This in turn becomes FSD Beta's driving output for steering, acceleration, and brakes (controls).

So, photon-to-controls is shorthand for the time it takes for FSD Beta to receive the input via the cameras to when the car actually acts on the input by telling the car to do something.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Lots of improvements including 50% better false slowdowns and lower lateral jerks. PS: Should have Waypoints and tidal too.

Looks like per Teslascope, it is version 2021.44.5.5 since previously installed version is listed as 2021.36.8.10 which is what I have currently for FSD v10.6.1. So, this FSD build must contain way points as well!

FSD Beta v10.7 Release Notes

• ⁠Improved object attributes network to reduce false cut-in slowdowns by 50% and lane assignment error by 19%.
• ⁠Improved photon-to-control vehicle response latency by 20% on average.
• ⁠Expanded use of regenerative braking in Autopilot down to O mph for smoother stops and improved energy efficiency.
• ⁠Improved VRU (pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcycles, animals) lateral velocity error by 4.9% by adding more auto-labeled and simulated training examples to the dataset.
• ⁠Reduced false slowdowns for crossing objects by improved velocity estimates for objects at the end of visibility.
• ⁠Reduced false slowdowns by adding geometric checks to cross-validate lane assignment of objects.
• ⁠Improved speed profile for unprotected left turns when visibility is low.
• ⁠Added more natural behavior to bias over bike lanes during right turns.
• ⁠Improved comfort when yielding to jaywalkers by better modelling of stopping region with soft and hard deadlines.
• ⁠Improved smoothness for merge control with better modelling of merge point and ghost objects positioned at the edge of visibility.
• ⁠Improved overall comfort by enforcing stricter lateral jerk bounds in trajectory optimizer
• ⁠Improved short deadline lane changes through richer trajectory modeling.
• ⁠Improved integration between lead vehicle overtake and lane change gap selection.
• ⁠Updated trajectory line visualization.

Last edited:
So is the general consensus that anyone on any version is going to 10.7 Tuesday?
We don't know why some were left behind on 10.5 - if they want to do A/B testing, they might leave some on 10.6.1 and move others to 10.8.

My guess is - as part of X-Mas, they will move everyone to 10.8. Do any kind of A/B testing again starting next year.

BTW, does anyone feel 10.8 is just 10.7 with Holiday general release related updates (like games or whatever) ? 10.7 has so many FSD related changes, I doubt there would be any more of those in 10.8.

We don't know why some were left behind on 10.5 - if they want to do A/B testing, they might leave some on 10.6.1 and move others to 10.8.

My guess is - as part of X-Mas, they will move everyone to 10.8. Do any kind of A/B testing again starting next year.

BTW, does anyone feel 10.8 is just 10.7 with Holiday general release related updates (like games or whatever) ? 10.7 has so many FSD related changes, I doubt there would be any more of those in 10.8.
I'm not expecting much FSD Beta improvement in 10.8 over 10.7 due to the timing.

Looks like the major themes are Pham braking and comfort / smoothness. Two things we hear most often.

1. Phantom braking related :
• ⁠Improved object attributes network to reduce false cut-in slowdowns by 50% and lane assignment error by 19%.
• ⁠Improved VRU (pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcycles, animals) lateral velocity error by 4.9% by adding more auto-labeled and simulated training examples to the dataset.
• ⁠Reduced false slowdowns for crossing objects by improved velocity estimates for objects at the end of visibility.
• ⁠Reduced false slowdowns by adding geometric checks to cross-validate lane assignment of objects.

2. Comfort / Smoothness related
• ⁠Expanded use of regenerative braking in Autopilot down to O mph for smoother stops and improved energy efficiency.
• ⁠Improved comfort when yielding to jaywalkers by better modelling of stopping region with soft and hard deadlines.
• ⁠Improved smoothness for merge control with better modelling of merge point and ghost objects positioned at the edge of visibility.
• ⁠Improved overall comfort by enforcing stricter lateral jerk bounds in trajectory optimizer

3. Others
• ⁠Improved integration between lead vehicle overtake and lane change gap selection.

Lots of improvements including 50% better false slowdowns and lower lateral jerks. PS: Should have Waypoints and tidal too.

FSD Beta v10.7 Release Notes

San Francisco FSD beta driver here -- we'll take it! The false slowdowns have been real,
whether they are due to false cut-ins, crossing objects (both addressed per notes)
peds who just hop to a street median and stop instead of continue, confusion at
intersections even after turn initiation etc.

For slowdowns, the (partial) solution is to ride the "go pedal" with concomitant bravery.

From the 10.7 notes, improvements regarding bike lanes + right turns, jaywalker slowdown,
lane recognition/assignment (perhaps helping the "overtake-that-stopped-double-parked-car/van
decision tree"), are especially welcome in this town. Seems like it will lighten
the load for the vigilantism required in busy traffic with tailgaters behind who are
not quite ready for semi-random Tesla behavior as the "lead car".

Interesting couple of photos from 10.7 by Dirty Tesla.

Compared to the old tentacle https://youtu.be/4Rhx15Er9N4 the new tentacle (trajectory line visualization) fits in much better!

1639949632922.png
1639949661820.png

My wife drives on FSD beta as well so the closest I get to any FSD beta comment is: "did you do that or the car?".
Ha, related! I drove through San Francisco, cross GGB and back today. Two disengagements in total.

First was at Alexander Ave & Bunker Rd intersection, northbound. Car took left turn lane and I thought we should go straight. Disengaged, and at the last second I realized car was right, made a sharp turn, stuff flying. Immediately confessed to wife: “it was me, car was right, I was stupid (again, at the same intersection).”

Second was at 19th Ave & Junipero Serra Blvd, southbound. Car was heading directly to the divider when it failed to simply follow its lane, as shown in the illustration. I swerved us back into the lane. Wife asked: “is that you or car this time?” “Car was stupid” I answered. P.S. this same bug has killed an Apple engineer in a brand new Model X in March 2018, and also caused multiple incidents at a specific location in Yosemite Village. I have been paying attention testing beta so I wasn’t end up like others. Also, this is the second time I have encountered this bug (following wrong lane line at split and heading towards divider), but I think beta should have the chance to stop before collision unlike other cases thanks to the drivable space perception.

Overall Computer VS Meat, 1:1, not bad.

HOWEVER, Yesterday it was like 0:10, and it was in Fremont! I have the feeling that my car hates its hometown where it was built. Those mangled panel gaps and misaligned doors should be a testament to what it has experienced before I adopted it.

Attachments

• 5668A031-9908-4343-9357-BE84F740316B.jpeg
    5668A031-9908-4343-9357-BE84F740316B.jpeg
    580.7 KB · Views: 33
I'm on 10.5 and the car exhibited some really troubling behavior this past weekend. I was traveling in a mostly rural area with very few cars on 2 lane country roads. All of the sudden with no warning or signal, the car changed lanes across the double yellow line and fully into the opposing lane. Thankfully there were no cars coming at me at the time. It did this three more times thru out the weekend. Even with FSD turned off, I noticed the green dotted line periodically nosing into the opposite lane indicating where the car would go had FSD been activated. I hit the snapshot button each time. Has anyone seen this behavior? Doesn't instill confidence.

I'm on 10.5 and the car exhibited some really troubling behavior this past weekend. I was traveling in a mostly rural area with very few cars on 2 lane country roads. All of the sudden with no warning or signal, the car changed lanes across the double yellow line and fully into the opposing lane. Thankfully there were no cars coming at me at the time. It did this three more times thru out the weekend. Even with FSD turned off, I noticed the green dotted line periodically nosing into the opposite lane indicating where the car would go had FSD been activated. I hit the snapshot button each time. Has anyone seen this behavior? Doesn't instill confidence.
Crossing double yellows into the oncoming lane seems to be a pretty big topic of discussion in this forum right now

Reactions: Canefan456
The "stricter lateral jerk bounds" should help with the wheel/yolk jerking at low speeds at turns, in parking lots, etc. That will make things more pleasant and less erratic. I had stopped using FSD Beta in parking lots because the jerking was so awful. So, I'm looking forward to testing it again in parking lots.
I've found that when I increase the speed through certain turns (such as Interstate ramps) using the accelerator, the vehicle leaves the lane instead of maintaining its planned path trajectory. It's interesting to me that they're focusing on further lateral jerk improvement when accelerator override may not be taken into consideration to begin with. Seems like this could lead people maintaining speed into roundabouts into a bit of trouble.

All of the sudden with no warning or signal, the car changed lanes across the double yellow line and fully into the opposing lane. Thankfully there were no cars coming at me at the time.
Check the map in those areas. Won’t be surprised if it’s a mapping issue.

If there were cars coming in the opposite lane, it is unlikely the car would have switched lanes.

My first thought was it’s an antique 50mph sign!
This is great info. The speed changes are very frustrating for me and even more so for people behind me. AP on the freeways has gotten really bad where every time I change it slows me down to 65 or even 55, sometimes several times. Looking for signs is a good idea but even so it will still be an issue even if we report.

Reactions: Oil Freedom