Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD wants auto lights.
That is strange because they ARE on Auto and have ALWYAS been. I have NEVER had my lights on manual in the last 5 or so cars. So that is a MISTAKE if it thought they were on manual. Also in the pic it is on AP and FSD is NOT available.

IMG_0116D.jpeg

Reactions: impastu
Also in pic #2 there is a Light Settings popup window. Only noticed this when looking at the pics. Must be a v11 feature but have no idea how to get to it. Anyone else noticed this or know about it?
I’ve found 2 ways of seeing it:
1) Engage FSD (double pull of the stalk) - this menu pops up for whatever reason. Not sure if the lights need to be on already or not.
2) Turn on auto high beams (with FSD on, push the left stalk forward once to disable, and once to re-enable and you‘ll see it). Curiously turning them off doesn’t bring up the menu for me.

Besides fixing phantom breaking if I had to highlight one area where FSD has the most problems for me it's being in the correct lane at the right time. Most of my disgengements are related to lane issues. If Tesla can make a real dent in these problems my disengagements would reduced by 50%.
  • Failure to move into the correct lane soon enough especially with moderate to heavy traffic
  • Failure when trying to move around traffic when you're already in the correct lane
  • Moving to a lane that gets you further away from the lane you need to get into
  • Failure to look far enough ahead to avoid moving to the wrong lane at the wrong time
  • Cutting some off when one of the above errors means you're in the wrong lane

can they de-process the images? I wonder how they are going to manage the transition to higher res images when HW4 arrives in a year. Just upscale the training data?
At AI Day, Ashok (Director of Autopilot Software) talked about how the simulator needs to match the physical behaviors/defects of actual cameras, so introducing artifacts for not-fully-simulated video through image processing (de-processing or scaling) is probably undesired long term as the neural networks might overfit on "fake" signals.

At least for the switch to RAW pixel data, assuming vehicles have been sending that instead of the processed version, Tesla's data backend that makes the training data would presumably be able to re-generate the training data without the processing step. If the "source" data is only post-process, then at least short term it could be converted back to RAW hoping any introduced rounding errors aren't too significant.

10.5 continues being a mixed bag for me. The disengagements are rare, but that’s been since 10.4, and I’m not sure it’s because I’m more familiar with FSD or actual improvements. However I do feel the driving comfortableness has been vastly degenerated for me.

1. Way more phantom brakings than 10.4, and even on highway with NOA. Even small slowdowns seemed more aggressive, and I had a few big bad ones when next to slightly larger vehicles on highway.

2. The other annoyance is the DMS. It never bothered me before as long as I put a lazy arm on the wheel, but now it seems the logic has changed. This morning when I was driving facing the sun, I got constant beep warning even I applied the usual torque on the wheel. I figured it was due to the flawed DMS couldn’t detect my eyes behind my glasses with sunlight reflection. As soon as, and only when I put the vizor down the beeping stopped. If I didn’t figure it out in time, I would have surely received my first strike just because of this stupid bug.

This and the point 1 give me the impression the beta is now paranoid to avoid accidents( only the ones beta car at fault, who cares about being rear ended, it’s the following cars’ problem /s), and eager to kick testers out.

3. All those abrupt reactions, why? Running 5mph and sees pedestrians 10 yards away, sudden brakes to full stop. Can’t see beyond upslope 50 yards away, sudden brake and shake the passengers like rag dolls. In all of these cases the car was aware of the rough whereabouts of the obstacles or uncertainties, even those false positives that causing phantom brakes, why can’t it handle it a bit more smoothly?

4. In one case car tried to do left turn from a parking lot into a 35mph road, while a big truck parked on the left and blocked the view of the crossing traffics. Car creeped into the road but still not far enough to see what’s coming from the left. Then a car did come and the Tesla immediately reversed a foot or two. First time auto reverse for me, while it was completely unnecessary (not even the nose of my car had passed the parking truck). I noticed the car was still in “drive” (blue D) during reserving so it was definitely a weird sensation. After the car passed, my car immediately committed to turn even it couldn’t see what’s behind the truck, so disengaged.

Now go and clean my cameras neurotically.
Looks like now we have video evidence of car rolling backwards by itself.
it looks like the same experience with mine. The car rolls backwards uphill a little bit while stays in drive. Glad I wasn’t hallucinating. Someone in the comment mentioned he had a video of car roll backward a few times at intersection though I couldn’t find it in his YouTube channel easily.

One more nighttime freeway trip on 10.8, one more hallucination of emergency vehicles where there were none. 5+ seconds of slowing down before resuming set speed. Ironically no mention of emergency vehicles the couple times a fire truck or ambulance passed with their lights on in the daytime, though both of those were either oncoming or on the opposite side.

Anyone know if/when the features (below) will be available to pre-refreshed Model X/S owners (I'm currently on 2021.44.25.6)?
  • Blind Spot Camera
  • Sentry Mode Live Camera Access
  • Note: Car Wash Mode isn't available yet, but I don't plan on using this anyway

One more nighttime freeway trip on 10.8, one more hallucination of emergency vehicles where there were none. 5+ seconds of slowing down before resuming set speed. Ironically no mention of emergency vehicles the couple times a fire truck or ambulance passed with their lights on in the daytime, though both of those were either oncoming or on the opposite side.

Hear you on the “hallucination” bit, frustrating. Normal behavior during the day though:

“If available in your market region, Model Y detects lights from an emergency vehicle when using Autosteer at night on a high speed road, the driving speed is automatically reduced and the touchscreendisplays a message informing you of the slowdown.”

eta: Checked our M3 manual and it is same verbiage.

Wasn’t able to use Beta much last night and again today due to the rains in SoCal. Beta would just turn itself off and the display would revert to standard AP visuals due to poor weather conditions. Probably a good thing, since I wouldn’t have been comfortable using it anyway. We had so much rain that I had to actively avoid portions of the road that had fairly large, deep puddles and there’s no way Beta would do that right now.

Hear you on the “hallucination” bit, frustrating. Normal behavior during the day though:

“If available in your market region, Model Y detects lights from an emergency vehicle when using Autosteer at night on a high speed road, the driving speed is automatically reduced and the touchscreendisplays a message informing you of the slowdown.”

eta: Checked our M3 manual and it is same verbiage.
D’oh, forgot the high speed road part. Didn’t know the night time part, thanks :)

Reactions: RowdyMY and impastu

I've seen this feature in action twice now, once while still on 10.5 a couple of weeks ago, and once on 10.8 this week.

The first time, I as in NoA on an interstate, and it saw a police car with lights flashing on the side of the road as it came around a curve, before I could react to disengage, it warned me and slowed down from 70 to low 50s. Because I was in the center of three travel lanes, and it looked like a routine traffic stop, I decided to let it do what it would, and as soon as we were by the flashing lights, it sped back up to our set speed.

The second time, I was in FSD Beta, but using it as "glorified Autopilot" on Kentucky's AA Highway (Route 9). Not limit access at all, but mostly straight, mostly flat, with wide shoulders. It saw two "DMV-type" service trucks stopped well off the road with their top yellow warning lights flashing. It gave me the warning and slowed from 65 to 55. Again, I let it proceed because there were no people or vehicles anywhere near the driving lane.

Both times, I glanced at the screen as the car approached the lighted vehicles, but I never saw any visualization of the flashing lights.

First time posting on 10.8 I didn't drive much over Christmas as the kids had flown in and I wanted to get a few drives in.

Mixed bag for me.

Some stuff is better. Better slowdown coming up to stopped cars / lights. Better (i.e. more gentle) acceleration from the stop

Turns? Odd most a bit better. Some way worse. I never realized what the 'violent jerking' of the steering wheel was until today. Only happened once though,.

It also doesn't always pay attention to navigation. Today navigation says to turn in about 1 mi. FSD decides to turn then. Nav never changed.

Also noticed that at times it overshoots the speed limit from a stop. I first noticed that when the speed chime sounded. I was 5 mph over the 25mph limit. It did slow down to 25.

Maybe not new as I don't get stuck in traffic much but was in a couple mile backup on I78 taking the kids back to the airport. As typical, cars would move ahead 10-20 feet and stop. fsd accelerated too hard and then has to hard brake.

The bumper to bumper I put in an email along with

still takes sharp curves much to fast. Have a couple around here that drop to 15 or 25 from a 45mph. fsd doesn't slow up at all even though it knows a curve is ahead. Today the roads were wet. I'm pretty sure I'd have been offroading if I hadn't disengaged coming in to the curves.

Fsd doesn't signal appropriately. It moves in to a turning lane and then begins signalling. Pretty sure that is technically illegal here. Beside that, the whole point of signalling is to let other drivers know what you are going to do. Not to tell them what you already did.

The speed limit sign on the screen no longer changes you current speed to the posted speed.

Fsd doesn't signal appropriately. It moves in to a turning lane and then begins signalling. Pretty sure that is technically illegal here. Beside that, the whole point of signalling is to let other drivers know what you are going to do. Not to tell them what you already did.
Yep. This. It omits signaling moves into turn lanes. It makes some (not all) signals for intersection turns very late. But I've also had it signal too early--at the intersection before the one where it's really going to turn, thus understandably confusing other drivers about its intentions.

Went for a drive through Downtown this morning since traffic would be extra light. Did have one place where Beta had a near melt down. Was making a right turn on Luckie St that has a street car (train) tracks. As soon as it started the turn it went into spasms. After turn came to a stop. Had to press go and it keep stopping. Did not want to drive down the tracks. Keep jerking wheel to left and then back straight since it is a Yellow line. Got to intersection and was supposed to turn left on Peachtree St but was confused by being on tracks and all the painted lines (I guess) it could not figure it out and went straight.

Apple Maps Look Around:
Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 7.59.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 8.10.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 7.56.49 AM.png

Here is pic I took while running a year ago of the same intersection. Car should have turned left where the white Streetcar is headed but it went straight like the yellow Streetcar.
IMG_7392.jpeg

Last edited:
Went for a drive through Downtown this morning since traffic would be extra light. Did have one place where Beta had a near melt down. Was making a right turn on Luckie St that has a street car (train) tracks. As soon as it started the turn it went into spasms. After turn came to a stop. Had to press go and it keep stopping. Did not want to drive down the tracks. Keep jerking wheel to left and then back straight since it is a Yellow line. Got to intersection and was supposed to turn left on Peachtree St but was confused by being on tracks and all the painted lines (I guess) it could not figure it out and went straight.
One of those cases where map data is needed. There are tracks where cars shouldn’t go (like the one on San Jose that AI Addict shows) and these street car roads (also in San Francisco, where it works correctly).

Reactions: FSDtester#1
s confused by being on tracks and all the painted lines (I guess) it could not figure it out and went straight.
There is a street near me where it has that problem. It looks like a car went on to the freshly painted white middle stripe and then headed for the curb. Maybe to park. It is a dash of white then a space, another dash of white, etc. So it's like the tire briefly hit the wet paint and then began leaving a dashed line. At this point it's not that distinct but FSD always tries to follow that dashed line every time. It corrects itself eventually (I guess when the dash stops) but is of course is unnerving during the time you are heading towards the curb.

Also went for a run this morning and passed the same intersection so took a couple of pics. Here it is a pic 1 from the other side and a pic 2 of the direction it should have turned and another confusing Streetcar track. There is a lot going on with lines, tracks, angles, crosswalk texture and red lights. Still if a human can handle it then Beta needs to also.

EDIT: Just a funny: Low traffic today and at an intersection I had stopped at I started walking across the road at a slow pace and looking back and forth and about ½ stated running again. It reminded me of the way 10.8 keeps slowly creeping and stoping in the road before it finely decided to commit (if you havn't ben T-boned 🤣🤣).

IMG_0156.jpeg

IMG_0159.jpeg

OT: Bonus pic at the same intersection. Atlanta is famous/infamous for not having/keeping many historical buildings. Here is the Flatiron building built in 1897 which is 3 years before the world famous NY Flatiron building was built.

IMG_0158.jpeg

Last edited: