Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of times with 10.8.1 upon opening the door of our MY, the screen remains dark. I can drive the car but it's a weird experience driving with no display. A reboot of both scroll wheels solves the issue. Has anyone else experienced a sleepy display screen with 10.8.1?
This is Elons next move! NO SCREEN! To go along with no steering wheel….you know the hands off approach just like the new UI is forcing upon us (voice controls). Actually in retrospect the new UI has our hands ALL OVER THE SCREEN 10 menus deep.

Ski

I'm making some completely subjective self-evaluation-based comments.

Yesterday I drove our 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor to Lompoc on about 25 miles of mixed lane highway. Our Model 3 does not have the Full Self Drive Beta software but it is updated to 2021.44.30.2. Our 2019 Model S has 2021.44.30.5 software, full self-driving Beta, and the OEM Goodyear Eagle Touring tires. Our Model 3 has the OEM Continental Silent ProContact Rx tires. Both cars have about 14,000 miles on them.

So here goes, I think our Model 3 does a better job on Autopilot than does our Model S. The Model 3 acts more confidently and consistently on the road. I had no phantom braking, it was attentive to speed restrictions, and did an excellent job maintaining the cars' position in the driving lanes. I contrast this to our Model S, which has Full Self-Driving Beta and constantly feels like it is hunting for lane position, ignoring speed restrictions, having many phantom braking incidents, and occasionally making me feel that it's trying to kill me by colliding with road barriers, semi trailer tractors, or trying to exit at non-existent off ramps.

Yes, the Model S rides more comfortably and is very quiet. Our Model 3, even with lots of additional sound insulation, is noisier and rides more stiffly than the Model S. However, I think I feel more comfortable and enjoy driving our Model 3 much more than our Model S. I feel safer.

Is it just me who feels this way?

Do my fellow Tesla owners think I should send my comments to the Santa Barbara Service Center as a Service Request?

Would appreciate suggestions. Thank You!

Got honked at this morning when 10.8.1 remained stopped at a light that turned green. Amusingly the human driver next to me zoned out and missed the light changing as well. No prior issues at that intersection, which I pass multiple times a week. Really wish they’d give us more visibility into the internal state of autopilot so we could see why it’s hesitating or not moving.

My only guess here is that it had to change lanes to the right within 1.5 blocks, and maybe it was waiting for the car on the right to go first so it would try to fit behind it.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I'm making some completely subjective self-evaluation-based comments.

Yesterday I drove our 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor to Lompoc on about 25 miles of mixed lane highway. Our Model 3 does not have the Full Self Drive Beta software but it is updated to 2021.44.30.2. Our 2019 Model S has 2021.44.30.5 software, full self-driving Beta, and the OEM Goodyear Eagle Touring tires. Our Model 3 has the OEM Continental Silent ProContact Rx tires. Both cars have about 14,000 miles on them.

So here goes, I think our Model 3 does a better job on Autopilot than does our Model S. The Model 3 acts more confidently and consistently on the road. I had no phantom braking, it was attentive to speed restrictions, and did an excellent job maintaining the cars' position in the driving lanes. I contrast this to our Model S, which has Full Self-Driving Beta and constantly feels like it is hunting for lane position, ignoring speed restrictions, having many phantom braking incidents, and occasionally making me feel that it's trying to kill me by colliding with road barriers, semi trailer tractors, or trying to exit at non-existent off ramps.

Yes, the Model S rides more comfortably and is very quiet. Our Model 3, even with lots of additional sound insulation, is noisier and rides more stiffly than the Model S. However, I think I feel more comfortable and enjoy driving our Model 3 much more than our Model S. I feel safer.

Is it just me who feels this way?

Do my fellow Tesla owners think I should send my comments to the Santa Barbara Service Center as a Service Request?

Would appreciate suggestions. Thank You!
It’s probably just the FSD beta code still being inferior to the AutPilot-only code, which has tons more driven miles.

I had FSD Beta on my Plaid and it definitely regressed compared to non-FSD AP on the highway. I recently opted out of FSD at the beginning of the year and went back to a smoother ride in AP.

I used to have a Model 3 as well, and the S is just as good driving on AP, if not better thanks to the more comfortable ride — as long as it’s not on an FSD release.

I noticed something (else) odd yesterday afternoon.
Using FSD (10.8.1) as usual to a T junction we have to turn right at. The road we are turning onto has quite a curve to it.
The car did its usual stop too far back and creep forward, but this time there was a car approaching from the left.
FSD edged a little, the visualization showed the car but then FSD just went for it with the approaching car no more than 50ft away.
Panic braking stopped it moving but I'm sure the other driver was cursing me.
Snapshot and email sent obviously :D

It’s probably just the FSD beta code still being inferior to the AutPilot-only code, which has tons more driven miles.

I had FSD Beta on my Plaid and it definitely regressed compared to non-FSD AP on the highway. I recently opted out of FSD at the beginning of the year and went back to a smoother ride in AP.

I used to have a Model 3 as well, and the S is just as good driving on AP, if not better thanks to the more comfortable ride — as long as it’s not on an FSD release.
Thank You! After reading your post, I'm giving serious thought to opting-out of FSD Beta. I'm too old for all the drama.

Reactions: impastu
Thank You! After reading your post, I'm giving serious thought to opting-out of FSD Beta. I'm too old for all the drama.
Most welcome! Yeah, I used to also want the bleeding edge and was willing to deal with quirks in technology, but I just want things to work well now.

The rate of improvements in FSD Beta since the first public release don’t give me a ton of hope that it will get significantly better any time soon.

Reactions: impastu and Sporty
Strange experience you're describing there. Outside of the crazy issues I had with 10.7 (must have been a bad deployment), every release I've had seems to be a mild improvement, and they seem to be stacking up nicely. I've also seen comments by others in this very thread and/or on reddit that specifically note improvements on every single issue that you've mentioned.
yes, It does seem to be disappointing but that's the nature of beta and regression testing. One use case is that FSD cannot merge to the right to a freeway entrance ramp within 400 ft after making a left turn because it cannot maneuver and change to the rightmost lane in time. It misses every time and that's been the case ever since I enrolled in the FSD pilot program in September. And creeping and hesitancy: all of us know about that. I have not seen even a small incremental improvement in the herky, jerky juvenile driving behavior and 95% of the time need to intervene and push the accelerator just to get going and avoid annoying my fellow drivers. It's super cautious in some areas and incredibly assertive and actually dangerous in other areas. The idea of analyzing human behavior with vision(optical) in digital form with cameras and advanced neural net is such a difficult challenge. You really have to solve the perception problem where human interaction is so good and also incredibly complex and advanced. Tesla has the advantage of a super talented team and an incredible dataset for training and inference with machine learning but it's going to take time, patience and even a possible HW redesign at some point. IMO, It's going to take years for regulatory approval at L4.

One of the more nerve racking problems of Beta. Hate pulling up to a Stop sign with someone behind me knowing even they can see it is clear but Beta wants to Creep and wait and Creep and wait until a car IS actually coming. I tell it to go and nothing (why doesn't it listen😅), they honk their horn but Beta doesn't care or get embarrassed, then I must intervene with the go pedal.
I intervene with the go pedal pretty quickly to provide feedback to the system. Also, I'm not patient enough for FSD Beta to develop enough nerve if it unnecessarily hesitates.

A couple of times with 10.8.1 upon opening the door of our MY, the screen remains dark. I can drive the car but it's a weird experience driving with no display. A reboot of both scroll wheels solves the issue. Has anyone else experienced a sleepy display screen with 10.8.1?
I've seen some lag time sometimes for the screen to come on, but not just with 10.8.1.

I'm new to FSD beta, 10.8.1 now, and I'm still retraining my brain to deal with it. True that just now it's more work than driving myself. Like NOA, which I have used for more than 25k miles on the freeway, it took many miles to learn what it would/could do and how to safely deal with that. NOA for years now drives me back and forth to work, 150 miles one way on the interstate, with me rarely having to intervein. Took some practice to learn. Tonight 10.8.1 drove us downtown and back without me having to intervene. Complicated route with some tricky maneuvers but overall it made no actual mistakes. Many things I would have done more efficiently but nothing inherently wrong or dangerous. Don't misunderstand, there were times it scared the bejeezus out of me and I was ready to intervene but I safely let it ride, and it did just fine. Point is, I am learning what it will and will not do and when to intervene. It ain't a let it go it's a perfected thing. I'm not expecting it to do everything right but I'm not expecting that from other drivers either. Retrain the brain and watch the fu*k out.........as always.

I noticed something (else) odd yesterday afternoon.
Using FSD (10.8.1) as usual to a T junction we have to turn right at. The road we are turning onto has quite a curve to it.
The car did its usual stop too far back and creep forward, but this time there was a car approaching from the left.
FSD edged a little, the visualization showed the car but then FSD just went for it with the approaching car no more than 50ft away.
Panic braking stopped it moving but I'm sure the other driver was cursing me.
Snapshot and email sent obviously :D
Some of these maverick moves sound so blatant that one could wonder if FSD is testing (or even training) the driver’s required awareness and readiness.

Reactions: FSDtester#1

Yes, certainly attributed that behavior to being on the beta. At least, that's what I told my unhappy wife! 😉

B25778B6-E873-416E-BBDD-117BB3396372.jpeg