Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These green pylons are common in Northern California, and I’m pretty sure FSD sees them sometimes. I notice my car will move away a few inches when passing any of these
It seems like it would be very hard to tell if they've actually been labeled or if all the non drivable space and lane labeling matched other cues around them. In this case even if the pylons were not there it doesn't look like "drivable space" (line directing to actual lane and box in front of the area).

Do you guys experience this with FSD beta? It often does an unprotected right despite a car turning into your lane. Is this legal (even if it is, it's unsafe IMO) or is FSD beta not taking these cars into consideration? I personally would have taken over by braking:

I think in this case, those turning cars shouldn't be using right most lane. May be it's safer to wait .. depending on how busy the roads are.

But, in one such right turn I had to quickly brake since there was only one lane and a car from the opposite direction was turning into.

44.30.5 loves to move into the shoulder just before making a right into my neighborhood then it cuts so close it nearly runs into parked cars. 100% consistent.

And on 2 different trips today I got a red screen and klaxons telling me to take over immediately followed by notices that autopilot wasn’t available, cruise control wasn’t available and emergency braking wasn’t available.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
44.30.5 loves to move into the shoulder just before making a right into my neighborhood then it cuts so close it nearly runs into parked cars. 100% consistent.

And on 2 different trips today I got a red screen and klaxons telling me to take over immediately followed by notices that autopilot wasn’t available, cruise control wasn’t available and emergency braking wasn’t available.
It will misidentify the shoulder here as a driving lane and lane change into it a half mile from a right turn.

l
I don't see any proof that was a problem of perception.

In fact, if you watch the path planning line, you can see it diverting back and forth between going left around the pylon and going right around it. My guess would be it perceived the pylon, but failed to make a decision about how to route around it mid-turn.

Why else would the path planner oscillate back and forth around the pylon in a fork pattern if it didn't see the obstruction in the first place?

My guess about perception problem was based on a fact that the green pylons are not visualized but orange are.

• Informative
Reactions: old pilot
Oddly enough the green pylons are visualized in other parts of the video, typically as orange cones, but they switch back and forth a bit (e.g. the other instance where the car aims at the green pylons but ends up going around)
Graphics shown on the screen is just a representation of the object. They recognize a large number of objects as "cones" and show them - including traffic control poles, cones etc.

Just as the car can be shown as a Santa Sledge ;)

Some stuff can go from FSD Beta to everyone, unannounced.

They need to push this stuff out, likely because the FSD Beta iterative process is taking far longer than originally anticipated. Tesla Canuck put out a video in July about how non-Beta users had received zero significant features last year assumedly because Tesla has all their resources on Beta

Reactions: pilotSteve
Did anyone get a map update today? I just went from 2020 to 2021.
Not near the car for the full version. I am still on beta 10.9
I’m on 10.8.1 and got the map update several days ago, and I wish I hadn’t. For me, zero improvements but lots of new problems introduced. Now FSD is getting into incorrect lanes and lots of speed limits that were correct are now off.

Sounds like! I was going to say I hope my experiences are not the same as yours.

I have several spots I hope they have improved. There's a stray stretch of city street that is 25mph but Tesla thinks 25 in one direction, 30 in the other.

"It wouldn't have hit him, it definitely wouldn't have hit him".

See how close it got to the cyclist AFTER the driver over-corrected the car back. Yes it would have hit him.
But why is it turning into the cyclist??

(and why are some of them laughing?)

Bike1.png

Bike2.png