Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m on 10.8.1 and got the map update several days ago, and I wish I hadn’t. For me, zero improvements but lots of new problems introduced. Now FSD is getting into incorrect lanes and lots of speed limits that were correct are now off.
Part of the “constant improvements”. Neural network. AI. ML. Dojo. HocusPocus
Exciting isn’t it? 😂

• Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird and EVNow
Since Navigation Data update (still on 10.9) I have a strange problem crossing the 17TH STREET bridge. Before Navigation Data update it was lane confused and experienced all kinds of weird behavior. I went on Open Street Maps had found lots of missing data and errors and corrected them. Not sure if this helped, hurt or made no difference.

Now it has become 100% (so far) weirdly/wrongly consistent. When I cross West Peachtree (Red line) it goes into the Bus lane. It also always did this before. Then it turns on left signal and changes into the center lane (Purple line). Then as it crosses Spring St. it does something odd that I actually do as a human but it NEVER did on Beta before. It immediately shifts over to the left lane (Green line). Although it doesn’t use the left signal. This is actually the lane I need to be in later……but as soon as it is over it turns on the right signal and switches back to the center lane (Blue line). Then as soon as it is in the center lane it switches the left signal back on and leaves it on. It doesn’t change lanes but drives (dumb a$$ style) straight with the left signal on and then changes into the left lane through the intersection (Orange line).

This sudden change of behavior almost has to be related to the Navigation Data update.

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 1.02.43 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 2101Guy
That videoclip is at the same time hilarious and horrible.
I don't care about video clips - when I know how it drives myself. Non-youtubers are always careful when VRU is close by.

People should stop watching stupid videos - you guys are what causes more such videos to be put out and youtubers taking unnecessary risks.

You should stop being a concern troll here.

Before anyone gets too excited about a Teslascope vehicle going from 2022.4 to FSD Beta 10.10: 2021.44.30.15 Official Tesla Software Update | Teslascope

Sounds like this was a special case where the vehicle was previously in FSD Beta but service moved the vehicle to non-FSD firmware to get the heat fixed, so this "downgrade" from 2022 firmware to "last year" 2021.44.30.15 was getting back to FSD Beta (presumably including the heat fix). It does provide yet another example of firmware updates not needing to always "increase" in version.

Has anyone else been tracking their FSD Beta vehicle uploads? In the past 24 hours, I've seen 32.6GB uploaded for 3 drives probably for 17 video snapshots. I estimate each snapshot is ~1950MB whereas last year around this time, I noticed uploads in multiples of ~425MB. If the last year uploads were 10 second 8-camera clips for Tesla Vision/FSD Beta, it seems like the snapshot button is now 30 second clips sending back 12-bit instead of 8-bit video, so 425MB * (30/10 seconds) * (12/8 bits) is pretty close to 1950MB.

I've needed to activate sentry mode to keep the vehicle awake to avoid automatic vehicle sleep for cold temperatures.

My guess about perception problem was based on a fact that the green pylons are not visualized but orange are.
It seems to have difficulty perceiving orange pylons too. It only showed any of the pylons when they were feet from the car, and the driver had already disengaged FSD Beta.

No pylons are shown
p4.pngp5.png

Pylons are shown
p3.pngp6.png

Attachments

• p1.png
    p1.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 30
  • p2.png
    p2.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
It seems to have difficulty perceiving orange pylons too. It only showed any of the pylons when they were feet from the car, and the driver had already disengaged FSD Beta.

No pylons are shown
View attachment 767444View attachment 767445

Pylons are shown
View attachment 767442View attachment 767446

I don't see many pylons here - but thinner traffic control poles are shown. They even have separate visualization for them ...

ps : Just looked at a video clip to show here - can't easily spot in the video. There is a delay and it is very small.

pps : The two pillars just ahead. Nothing on the screen.

vlcsnap-2022-02-10-12h14m03s032.png

The car is now just crossing the pillars - and a very tiny is visible on the image if you see closely (red circled). In person, the visualization is easy to see but might have a bit of delay. BTW, this is the unmapped roundabout I always disengage at. I always feel it is either going to hit the curb or scrape on those poles.

vlcsnap-2022-02-10-12h15m08s899.png

Last edited:
I don't see many pylons here - but thinner traffic control poles are shown. They even have separate visualization for them ...

ps : Just looked at a video clip to show here - can't easily spot in the video. There is a delay and it is very small.

pps : The two pillars just ahead. Nothing on the screen.

View attachment 767462

The car is now just crossing the pillars - and a very tiny is visible on the image if you see closely (red circled). In person, the visualization is easy to see but might have a bit of delay. BTW, this is the unmapped roundabout I always disengage at. I always feel it is either going to hit the curb or scrape on those poles.

View attachment 767461
Are you debating whether these are called cones, pylons, pillars, or poles? :)

They're all the same thing: traffic control objects in the road that should not be hit.

Does FSD really need to be trained on each shape and color? It doesn't need to visualize them, the display is just a driving distracting anyway, but it should obey them, not route through them which it seems to be doing in many of these videos.

Are you debating whether these are called cones, pylons, pillars, or poles? :)

LOL. The point is - because we can't clearly see pylons in the video doesn't mean FSD hasn't perceived them. Just like the pillars I show are barely visible in the video.

They're all the same thing: traffic control objects in the road that should not be hit.

Does FSD really need to be trained on each shape and color? It doesn't need to visualize them, the display is just a driving distracting anyway, but it should obey them, not route through them which it seems to be doing in many of these videos.
Of course - we are trying to analyze to see what the problem is.

As to whether they need to be recognized to be not hit - shouldn't be the case. According to Karpathy, there is a NN that outputs depth of all static stuff around, including things like pillars and cones.

But, FSD may need to identify some of them to be able to identify lanes.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I think I"ve had that without the pop the trunk. Was it accompanied by the big red steering wheel. I had 4 or 5 in the space of 1 or 2 miles. With each it said something like "system fault" or maybe "system failure". Don't remember exactly what but it was issuing a message that something pretty bad had happened. After the 4rth or 5th I continued without AP/FSD

I think I"ve had that without the pop the trunk. Was it accompanied by the big red steering wheel. I had 4 or 5 in the space of 1 or 2 miles. With each it said something like "system fault" or maybe "system failure". Don't remember exactly what but it was issuing a message that something pretty bad had happened. After the 4rth or 5th I continued without AP/FSD
Yeah, I’ve had a few AP crashes like this (with/without fsd beta) but the trunk pop was something I’ve never seen before. Red steering wheel and “take control” or whatever is all I remember, nothing else out of the ordinary. Generally the last AP crash I remember was on 10.3 which was broken for almost everyone.