Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Super cool to reverse for no good reason? :p
So the obvious question is what happens if you hit the accelerator because you're sick of waiting for the car to move? Do you go backwards or forward?
Pretty sure software/firmware can control accelerator pedal input to dictate inverter logic so that you only ever move forward while in drive, even if FSD is backing up a tad at the time the driver presses the accelerator. There may just be a small lag in response in this scenario. Not saying Tesla is already doing this or not, but it’s definitely doable thanks to an all-electric architecture (this wouldn’t work in a mechanical drivetrain..)

Pretty sure software/firmware can control accelerator pedal input to dictate inverter logic so that you only ever move forward while in drive, even if FSD is backing up a tad at the time the driver presses the accelerator. There may just be a small lag in response in this scenario. Not saying Tesla is already doing this or not, but it’s definitely doable thanks to an all-electric architecture (this wouldn’t work in a mechanical drivetrain..)
Yeah, I think that would be the safer option.
I'm not sure why they're in a rush to implement reverse functionality. Wouldn't it be better to just stop far enough behind stopped vehicles? Save reversing for maneuvers where it's actually necessary.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Super cool to reverse for no good reason? :p
So the obvious question is what happens if you hit the accelerator because you're sick of waiting for the car to move? Do you go backwards or forward?
The video is kind of pixelated but it does not look like it ever left Drive despite its movement, so presumably it'd send you forwards. I wonder if that is the exact reason it doesn't switch to reverse. Curious if the reverse lights lit up though.

In these stop situations I usually have my foot hovering the accelerator and ready to OFTEN encourage the car to get a move on or move faster (out of the way of others). [rhetorical]What happens if you press the go pedal and it is doing this forward and back or back and forward or backing maneuver? o_O:oops::eek: Seems like this could be VERY dangerous and not sure I like the implementation. Seems we need to KNOW what it is doing since we have accelerator pedal intervention override control.

EDIT: Guess I shouldn't worry too much since looks like it may be awhile before I get 10.10.x🤣🤣

Last edited:
  • Funny
In these stop situations I usually have my foot hovering the accelerator and ready to OFTEN encourage the car to get a move on or move faster (out of the way of others). [rhetorical]What happens if you press the go pedal and it is doing this forward and back or back and forward or backing maneuver? o_O:oops::eek: Seems like this could be VERY dangerous and not sure I like the implementation. Seems we need to KNOW what it is doing since we have accelerator pedal intervention override control.

EDIT: Guess I shouldn't worry too much since looks like it may be awhile before I get 10.10.x🤣🤣

Yeah, this FSD Beta reversing behavior has Safety Recall written all over it. Reversing on a city street without notifying the driver, (and possibly not lighting the reverse lights and making the backing-up sound, anyone confirm Y/N?) has got to be up there with the most risky things to do. Heck even a human driver needs to make really sure before reversing on a street. Reversing drivers are liable for everything, even if they get rear-ended.

Not to mention the uncertainty over how it actually works re: accelerator, where, when, how far, how fast. As we saw with the Rolling Stop feature, there was a long list of Tesla Rules on when to allow it. What are the Tesla Rules on reversing?

Amazing that Tesla can't see this. They should pre-emptively remove it, to show they are learning the new landscape with the recent NHTSA recall demands.

It's not that difficult for Tesla to program, "while FSD beta is engaged, any accelerator input moves car forward". After all, EVs have no transmission or gears, so forward and backward is simply reversing the magnetic polarity.

This is an obvious "issue". It would be sad if Tesla never considered it.

Reversing seems
How do you know when to check if the car can shift in to reverse by itself?
I was taught not to reverse at intersections. I've definitely seen people do it but it make me cringe.
Yeah I've never done this in 20 years of driving. I can't see how they can program safe reversing behavior, the rear camera gets obscured so easily, I have to constantly wipe rain and dust off it.

Yeah, this FSD Beta reversing behavior has Safety Recall written all over it......They should pre-emptively remove it, to show they are learning the new landscape with the recent NHTSA recall demands.
[speculation]Wonder if maybe someone (maybe even a Tesla engineer) had a problem with hitting the accelerator and reversing by mistake. This may be the reason Tesla may have stopped 10.10. Who knows but in the absents of Tesla saying looks like as good a theory as any.

I am still on 2021.44.30.5 and my car tried to kill me twice a couple days ago. The first time I was behind 3 cars at a 4-way stop. Cars and people were crossing in all directions but my car didn't want to wait and started to pull the the left of the stopped cars to go around them.

When it got to the stop line, it tried to accelerate at the same time as a car to my right making a left turn, which would have T-boned it. Both times I had to slam on the brakes. I did hit the report button.

• Informative
I am still on 2021.44.30.5 and my car tried to kill me twice a couple days ago. The first time I was behind 3 cars at a 4-way stop. Cars and people were crossing in all directions but my car didn't want to wait and started to pull the the left of the stopped cars to go around them.

When it got to the stop line, it tried to accelerate at the same time as a car to my right making a left turn, which would have T-boned it. Both times I had to slam on the brakes. I did hit the report button.
I'm on the same version and just approaching a signal my car started to pull left into oncoming traffic. This has happened twice in the same area and like you sent the reports.

How do you know when to check if the car can shift in to reverse by itself?
I was taught not to reverse at intersections. I've definitely seen people do it but it make me cringe.
The car has to check, if it’s reversing and you have to monitor. The places where it would reverse and the speed are unlikely to make it very quick and accident prone.

I guess it’s a local thing ? I see people reversing frequently here - as in may be I see once a week.

ofcourse if I include parallel parking, that would be very frequent.

ps : These are maneuvers you have to be very careful about - just like crossing the center line. Normally you won’t do it, but may have to once in a while.

mine does that try to go around BS pretty regularly. Doesn't matter if cars are coming. Doesn't matter than it often is illegally crossing a double yellow line. Doesn't even matter that it's trying to cross a double yellow line to pass a school bus stopped at a light or with the red flashing lights.
Just decides it's time to go and does it. First time was pretty unnerving when there were 3 or 4 cars in front of me with cars coming reasonably fast in the opposite direction. Forget T-bone. It wanted to take me out in a header.