Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First drive on 10.10.2. car sucks on unmarked neighborhood roads. The car now likes to center itself more than it's ever done since 10.2. It frequently starts driving on the wrong side of the road if the road is curvy. Whimsical hesitations are off the chart, even at night where historically my car was pretty good. Wondering if it's just the salt on the ground.

Tried my usual route on 10.10.2, only saw regressions over 10.8.1. Car tried to go on a red light twice (the through lane turned green but car had a red arrow for its turn lane). When driving down a straight empty road it slowly edged over the center double yellow line and then moved back again. It used to get into the outer left turn lane to make an immediate right after turning, now it chooses the inner lane and is forced to make a hasty lane change.
Hope you reported these. The drift into the center lane is odd, I've not seen this on 10.10.2 (yet) .. for drifts like this it might be worth doing a camera recalibration.

Had my first two drives today on 10.10.2. Before my next drive tomorrow will reset the display and cycle power since today's drives were mostly regressions from 10.8.1. May recalibrate cameras. I have also learned to wait until I've used FSD for several days before making a decision on how good/bad the release is.

The Good:
  • Ride was generally smoother.
  • Took a 150 degree turn really well. In the past it was always jerky but not today.
  • Made decisions a little quicker at stop signs and when entering a roundabout
The Bad:
  • Tried to run a Red Light. I've let Tesla know about this light multiple times. If you're the first car in line when the light turns green for the crossing road FSD will always try and go. Intersection is at an angle. Easily reproduceable.
  • Recognized and slowed down when approaching a Stop Sign but didn't stop until it was at the center of the crossing road. Since I could clearly see in both directions I let it go. After it stopped it then proceeded thru the intersection.
  • Approached 2 intersections with "Turn Only" left hand lanes with a "Straight/Turn Right" lane. Previously it always went smoothly into the right hand lane to make the turn. Today it went into the left hand lane and then at the last minute put the blinker on and with a jerk moved the right lane. I had to disengage so I could make the right hand turn. If there was a car in the right hand lane I would have missed both turns.
  • Stopped at intersection to turn left. Planner showed a left hand turn. FSD decided to turn right. Disengaged.
  • Phantom braking- Initially thought it was improved but when I tried the 1/2 mile road where phantom braking happens alot it happened again. There is nothing unusual about this road that I can see but in a 1/2 mile it will slow down 5-8mph, 5-10 times.
  • Very short uphill right hand curve, maybe 5% grade. Should take the curve at 30mph or less. FSD never slows down until its already 3/4 of the way thru the turn which by that time is too late. When you take the same curve the other way with a 5% downhill grade it slows before the curve.
  • One of the improvements in the release 9 notes was to minimize acceleration when FSD knew another turn was coming up. I was really hoping this would solve the problem in my neighborhood where I have 3 turns a tenth of a mile from each other. FSD will try to accelerate to 30mph only to do a hard brake for the upcoming turn. No improvement.
  • Narrow rural neighborhood road with no center line. FSD stays mostly on the left side which is super dangerous especially when approaching a crest in the road where you cannot see well. No improvement so just have to disengage. I don't understand why Tesla hasn't solved this since many people have reported this. Super unsafe.

Hope you reported these. The drift into the center lane is odd, I've not seen this on 10.10.2 (yet) .. for drifts like this it might be worth doing a camera recalibration.
See post above. I have several roads where FSD has the same behavior even for builds that worked really well so I don't believe it's a camera problem. These are narrow country roads where you have to stay well to the right especially on sharp curves otherwise two cars won't fit. 25mph tops. I've reported these to Tesla. One of the problems Tesla has to deal with is mapped speed limits that are often too high. Regardless just stay in your lane, what is so hard about that.

See post above. I have several roads where FSD has the same behavior even for builds that worked really well so I don't believe it's a camera problem. These are narrow country roads where you have to stay well to the right especially on sharp curves otherwise two cars won't fit. 25mph tops. I've reported these to Tesla. One of the problems Tesla has to deal with is mapped speed limits that are often too high. Regardless just stay in your lane, what is so hard about that.
I'm convinced the whole "recalibrate your cameras" thing is total placebo. The cameras continuously calibrate anyway, the only reason to use that option is if you make some change that totally invalidates the current calibration, like collision repairs, new windshield, etc.

I'm convinced the whole "recalibrate your cameras" thing is total placebo. The cameras continuously calibrate anyway, the only reason to use that option is if you make some change that totally invalidates the current calibration, like collision repairs, new windshield, etc.
A few weeks ago AP, TACC nothing would activate for me. I rebooted, turned the car off and let it sleep but still nothing. Finally I recalibrated the cameras and when it was done everything worked again.

Last edited:
Day 3 on 10.10.2 with camera recalibration --> Not a happy camper.
My setup: Refresh MSLR since 10.2 with version before upload at 10.9 (2021.44.30.10). I previously had relatively predictable problems at T-intersections but overall had few disengagements most days with pretty smooth L/R turns. Now? Ugh! These are the regressions I've noticed.
  • Doesn't go into the intersection before turning left. So if I tap the gas to move from the stop line, it tries to complete the turn even with traffic coming
  • Have made only one successful left without going over the double yellow line. When there's a car there or a curb, I have to disengage.
  • As others have mentioned, the car stops 10+ feet before the crosswalk and c r e e p s forward eventually. Had to watch my butt to make sure the cars behind me were paying attention with my wonky pre-stop.
  • New little seizures of yoke hiccups even when going straight.
  • Poor deceleration before right turns
  • Totally confused on wide suburban unlined street (more seizures and leftish/center driving)
I'm trying to capture and upload all these foobars so they can get an 10.10.3 up soon.

• Funny
Reactions: tm3dlr
I tend to agree with this. The cameras must be continuously calibrating to account for changes in temperature etc. effecting precise alignment. Or the rear camera that is probably never in the same location after opening and closing the hatchback.

nonetheless, since we have very little control over how FSD performs, even this perceived level of control can be comforting.

Are all these worse than 10.9 or new. I see many of those issues in 10.9 ...
  • Doesn't go into the intersection before turning left. So if I tap the gas to move from the stop line, it tries to complete the turn even with traffic coming - NEW. It was pausing mid-intersection in 10.9 for me
  • Have made only one successful left without going over the double yellow line. When there's a car there or a curb, I have to disengage. - NEW. Sometimes I got a little nervous about the lefts, but it didn't do these shallow arcs that cross through the turn lane on the other side.
  • As others have mentioned, the car stops 10+ feet before the crosswalk and c r e e p s forward eventually. Had to watch my butt to make sure the cars behind me were paying attention with my wonky pre-stop. - NEW. Occasionally it would stop a little soon, like 2-3 feet which is acceptable for me. But this is like 10-20 feet ahead. And you have to wait for the creep because if you push the accelerator it tries to GO.
  • New little seizures of yoke hiccups even when going straight. Worse. I've always noted a bit of epilepsy with the yoke, but now she feels like she hasn't taken her meds for a while it's so frequent, and worse with the turns.
  • Poor deceleration before right turns - Hmmm, Same or worse. Yeah, this has been an issue in 10.9 but right now it scares the bejeezus out of me
  • Totally confused on wide suburban unlined street (more seizures and leftish/center driving). Worse. Had the same issue in 10.9, but without the jerking yoke. This is what's making it worse.

I drove about 120 miles yesterday using NOA and FSD. The second part of the trip was about 50 miles of FSD (10.10.2) on a two-lane highway passing through several small towns. It did surprisingly well. I had no phantom braking, no extreme slowdowns. I had constant speed variations where the speed would drop by 10-15MPH because of shadows on the road. It was late afternoon on a bright sunny day, and I was headed south, so the shadows of the trees extended across the road almost constantly. The slowdowns happened almost incessantly and I mostly ignored them.

FSD drove through Bellville, OH with no problem at all, and I never had to disengage. It had quite a bit more trouble in Mt.Vernon, and I had to disengage 5 or 6 times because the car did something stupid. Once I got past Mt. Vernon, I had no more disengagements. The car drove itself through Granville with no problem and pulled up to my destination without further incident.

I did use the wheel to adjust the speed at times, sometimes when the setting was too fast for the curvature of the road, but more often when there was a change downward in the speed limit. FSD ignores the signs warning of a speed change ahead, and it takes quite a while to reduce the speed as the limit drops from 55 to 45 to 35. Since I didn't want to get a ticket, I stayed ahead of it by reducing speed using the wheel.

Overall, I'd say that this trip was better than the same trip on 10.8.1 last week. The biggest difference that I noticed was that the car had no trouble yesterday on a short stretch of red brick road in Granville. Last week, it did not handle this section well at all, and I had to disengage and drive it manually.

Tomorrow I will make the same trip in reverse. It will be earlier in the day, so the shadows may not be as big a problem.

Also today, I let my daughter drive my MYLR. She and her husband are Tesla owners, so she is very familiar with them, but she has never used the FSD beta. I told her that she could try it out if she wanted to, but that she should keep a very close eye on it.

When she got home she told me that she had tried it in a couple of places, but generally found that it was "horrible", and did not attempt to use it again.

As others have mentioned, the car stops 10+ feet before the crosswalk and c r e e p s forward eventually. Had to watch my butt to make sure the cars behind me were paying attention with my wonky pre-stop.

There’s one of those near me. I’ve never let it stop all the way but it’s always 2-3 car lengths behind the stop line when it attempts to come to a full stop. No changes with the new maps or 10.10.2. There is a clear stop line, clear stop sign, clear “stop” text on the ground, and the ground is relatively flat so it should see as far as the next intersection. No idea what is throwing it off.

I had a case where the rear camera was not calibrated even though FSD was working. It wasn't until I had a support call for another very minor issue that Tesla Tech Support noticed and told me to recalibrate. The exception for sure but when FSD is really bad its' worth trying.

Few more observations in morning traffic:
* Going around stopped vehicles is inconsistent; If there is more than 1 car to go around (e.g. it was set to go around a van, and then noticed another van double parked a couple car lengths ahead), 10.10.2 brakes hard right as it’s passing the first car. Happened twice this morning. Another one of these I disengaged because it was speeding towards the double parked car and showed no signs of moving left.
* At some point after I disengaged the beta, the screen started flashing between the FSD beta visualization and the regular lane lines and objects view. It did this for 2-3 blocks until it finally settled on the beta visualization without any input from me.
* The whole brake-hard-early-and-creep-to-intersection thing is definitely recurring and quite annoying.
* Due to light traffic and me not being in a rush, I decided to replicate the lane selection issue I see almost every morning on 10.10.2. Two lane road ends in the left lane turning left and right lane going straight, and the nav route goes straight. To add as little input as possible I didn’t tell It to move to the left lane as I normally do (right lane has many cars turning right so it’s slower on average). At some point, fsd beta merged left into a “faster lane” and never went back over to the right. I let it pull up into the left turn lane and when the turn arrow turned green it seemed unsure what to do. Due to the intersection design, there is a median directly across from the turn lane if one were to go straight. The path on screen went straight with a slight curve left; at that point the light turned yellow and my car still hadn’t entered the intersection, so I took over and completed the turn manually
* … which led to the other test case I hadn’t done in a while. The next right turn I needed is somewhat blind, but has a very short turn lane and a bike lane in between the main lane and the turn lane. Normally you’d pull to the right as you slow down, and then complete the turn. The beta completed the turn from the main lane after nearly coming to a stop. Last time I took that route I had a much earlier 10.x beta, but 10.10.2 showed no improvements here.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
* The whole brake-hard-early-and-creep-to-intersection thing is definitely recurring and quite annoying.
This seems to be new with 10.10.2.

One of the issues with 10.8/10.9 is that it would come to an intersection too fast when it needs to turn right. I wonder if the fix to that has taken FSD in the other direction of slowing down too early and just creeping to the intersection.

Since none of this is "hard-coded" but done by increasing & decreasing various "costs" associated with actions - it can be quite tough to dial the right numbers. But this kind of yo-yo between too fast or too slow is annoying.