Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disappointed with my short drive on 10.10.21. Car tried to stay on left side of road on neighborhood road without lines, not even the center of the road. With 10.9 in my neighborhood it stayed well to the right. On a left hand turn it hesitated before making turn and then tried to accelerate right in front of a car coming down a hill, I needed to break to avoid a collision as there was definitely no time to safely make the turn after the car hesitated. If it didn’t hesitate on the turn it would have had plenty of time to make the turn. I am engaging FSD beta so Tesla can learn, but my first short drive with 10.10.21 of less than 3 miles total had numerous Necessary disengagements which is much more than I experienced with 10.9

Tomorrow I will make the same trip in reverse. It will be earlier in the day, so the shadows may not be as big a problem.
I took a slightly different route home today. Much of the experience was good, but some of it was terrible. In the first 5 minutes, I had to disengage 3 times. And then FSD itself did the 4th disengagement. It told me that it detected poor weather and shut itself down. The day was sunny and bright, no weather issues at all.

I stopped and cleaned all of the cameras, even though none of them appeared to need it. After that it did pretty well. It drove through Utica, OH, with no problem. In Mt. Vernon, it made a right turn that was going to go over the line into oncoming traffic. I held the wheel steady to keep the car in its lane, and FSD disengaged as it tried to pull the wheel away from me. After completing the turn, I reengaged and it did well through the rest of Mt. Vernon and the next ten miles or so through Bellville and up to where it joined I71. But just as it turned left onto the entrance ramp, it completely lost track of where the road was and tried to drive completely off the right side of the ramp. I disengaged and sent a clip to Tesla. After that it was NOA the rest of the way home.

The incessant speed variations continued. I'm using the term "unwarranted slowdowns" in my own thinking. Sometimes the reason is obvious, maybe a car in a turn lane to my right or my left, or maybe an oncoming car in the other lane. At other times, it may be a shadow across the road, or often there is no obvious cause at all. But it isn't really occasional - it happens all the time, sometimes 5 or 6 times in a 60-second period. It's not always that bad, but it never really stops. Sometimes it slows by as much as 15 MPH or so, but most times only 2-3 MPH. It's annoying, but nothing more.

So even though it handles 99% of routine driving without incident, it is nowhere near trustworthy. I hope that the new approach that is being used for version 11 makes a big difference because it really doesn't feel like they are making a lot of progress on the 10.x series.

Car tried to stay on left side of road on neighborhood road without lines, not even the center of the road. With 10.9 in my neighborhood it stayed well to the right.
This seems to be a regression. While there was no difference on my road, on a nearby wide road with side markings but no center line, FSD has gone back to driving in the middle like it used to do early in 10.x.

I went for a regression today. First regression since regression last week. I fully regressed until regression when I finally scared the regression out of my girlfriend. The weather was regression, but I’ve driven in regression before with an earlier regression and didn’t regress. At first I suspected phantom regression but then I was able to confirm regression, or at least partial regression.

Elon, please fix regression. I know you are the one sitting alone in your regression‘s basement with jolt regression and pizza and doing all of the regression yourself.

But I regress…

This seems to be a regression. While there was no difference on my road, on a nearby wide road with side markings but no center line, FSD has gone back to driving in the middle like it used to do early in 10.x.
I came from 10.8.1 so cannot say if it was better or worse, however, every build I've had the car rides at least partly in the other lane on a slightly uphill narrow rural road. So from my perspective FSD has never handled these types of roads in my area. FSD works fine in my neighbor where there are no lines but they are not narrow. It's the really narrow roads FSD has trouble with in my experience and these are the roads where it's really important to stay right especially around blind corners. I usually just have to take over.

Reactions: nvx1977
I went for a regression today. First regression since regression last week. I fully regressed until regression when I finally scared the regression out of my girlfriend. The weather was regression, but I’ve driven in regression before with an earlier regression and didn’t regress. At first I suspected phantom regression but then I was able to confirm regression, or at least partial regression.

Elon, please fix regression. I know you are the one sitting alone in your regression‘s basement with jolt regression and pizza and doing all of the regression yourself.

But I regress…
One regression forward two regressions back

Just returned from my first highway drive at night in the rain on 10.10,2
Per usual FSD disabled itself which is consistent with all my highway drives done in the rain. At least 75% of day drives and over 90% of drives at night result in FSD disengaging. Not a good situation for Tesla but since it doesn't rain much in California I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Let's hope it's not a camera limitation.

Curious if other's have the same problems during rain while driving on the highway?

Maybe I just haven't noticed but the display was different while FSD/NoA wasn't available on the highway. Usually the solid blue line disappears which happened but the blue lane was actually an improvement.

Attachments

• FSD in the Rain Nightime Drive.png
    FSD in the Rain Nightime Drive.png
    190.6 KB · Views: 67

But I regress…

Hey, everyone on FSD beta: rename your car "Regression." Maybe Tesla will get the picture :D

• Funny
Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Just returned from my first highway drive at night in the rain on 10.10,2
Per usual FSD disabled itself which is consistent with all my highway drives done in the rain. At least 75% of day drives and over 90% of drives at night result in FSD disengaging. Not a good situation for Tesla but since it doesn't rain much in California I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Let's hope it's not a camera limitation.

Curious if other's have the same problems during rain while driving on the highway?

Maybe I just haven't noticed but the display was different while FSD/NoA wasn't available on the highway. Usually the solid blue line disappears which happened but the blue lane was actually an improvement.

Yeah NoA will disable on me sometimes during the day as well if it's raining hard.

I did an 80mi highway drive (down and up I-93 from S NH to Boston) today. Flawless, no phantom braking. This is the norm for me. I didn't bother using FSD beta off the highway. wasn't in the mood to deal with it. Plus if it can't handle suburban NH, Boston, yeah right.

I also decided to calibrate my cameras for giggles. Took 6 miles to calibrate. I'll see if I can notice any improvements on local roads next chance I get.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I have a pitiful one mile commute (home to daughter’s school), now with 10.10.2 I will have a guaranteed disengagement before a left turn. When turning into the turn lane, the rear left wheel was always very close to the curb in 10.8.1, but it still has about 6 inches room, I let it go everytime. With 10.10.2, I was hoping it maintained a better distance, but the opposite happened. It went even closer so I have to disengage. I checked the dashcam, it was about 1-2 inches left. So if I didn’t disengage, my wheel would be destroyed. Now I have to disengage here everytime, it sucks.

Above was why I voted “10.8.1 is much better than 10.10.2” in another thread. I also have a few other regressions. It now turns too slow at another left turn, and having a new phantom braking near a curve. All happened in this one mile commute repeatedly. My life is harder with 10.10.2.

Had a longer drive today and finally experienced some improvements at a few right turns. Let’s see if I need to change my vote.

Hey, everyone on FSD beta: rename your car "Regression." Maybe Tesla will get the picture :D
People driving EVs are often unsure of what to call the “gas” pedal. The common convention is to call it the “go” pedal. But in the case of FSD Beta, I’m pretty sure it’s called the ”oh for f’sake go“ pedal.

First drive on 10.10.2. car sucks on unmarked neighborhood roads. The car now likes to center itself more than it's ever done since 10.2. It frequently starts driving on the wrong side of the road if the road is curvy. Whimsical hesitations are off the chart, even at night where historically my car was pretty good. Wondering if it's just the salt on the ground.
I just had my first 10.10.2 drive yesterday and I also saw it ride down the middle (or left side) of unmarked roads. This was a problem in a prior release that had been resolved and is now back. One improvement I did see (again, only one drive so far) is that the car did not wait forever at a stop sign / "T" intersection before proceeding. When the car did decide to proceed, there was no hesitation or creeping forward; it just went.

I downloaded the 10.10.2 a few days ago and I have some good news and bad news.
The good news is the car does slow down for emergency vehicles now, although it didn't need to because I was 4 lanes over in the fast lane.
The bad news however is, I also got an emergency vehicle slow down when there was nothing in sight. I have no idea what triggered it. I hope this doesn't happen too often. It happened a couple miles past the first alert. Has anyone else had false emergency vehicle alerts?

I also had a disengagement when I needed to get in the left lane turning onto a freeway ramp and the car sped up past the farthest car in the turning lane. I don't know if it wasn't looking at the traffic and assumed there was enough time to get over, but I hit the brake and got over in the lane when it started to accelerate past the car.

On another note, the car did something new I have never seen but wasn't aware of.
I was at a stop light with 2 lanes turning right at a red. I was in the left of the 2 lanes so there is no right on red. The car jittered back and forth with some pause message on the screen a couple times, It then waited for traffic to clear in the right lane, got in that lane and turned right on red.
This was a welcome addition but I thought the car was freaking out until I figured out what it was doing..