Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed slowing / throttling of upload speeds in the last week? We've uploaded about 400GB in the past month (and probably similar amounts in January too). It used to upload at 9Mbps (4GB/hr) but now it's halved to 4.5Mbps. I've checked our internet, Wi-Fi and device upload speeds, and they're well above those, so I wonder if Tesla set a limit somewhere? Or I suppose maybe we hit some TB threshold?

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
did whole bunch of FSD driving this weekend, including two 50 mile drives over what was previously an impossible FSD drive.
Previous versions made the drive an appalling conglomeration of outlandish FSD mistakes.
However
10.10.2 gave a stellar performance (I even had family in the car)
It was a 100 mile round trip - exactly zero error caused disengagements. Any disengagement was down to me wanting to drive a different route.
I drove many legs without using Nav, but overall this was the most relaxing FSD I've ever had.
Even my wife was impressed with how well it did.
All of the map caused issues had been resolved, all of the speed limit issues had gone. Even the high contrast shadow related issues have gone - it was very sunny today so there lots of hard braking candidates, but none causes even the slightest hesitation.

This weekend my family gave FSD their seal of approval which for us is a significant step forward.
Just as well really, I'll be making this drive every weekend for the next two months :D

did whole bunch of FSD driving this weekend, including two 50 mile drives over what was previously an impossible FSD drive.
Previous versions made the drive an appalling conglomeration of outlandish FSD mistakes.
However
10.10.2 gave a stellar performance (I even had family in the car)
or us is a significant step forward.
Just as well really, I'll be making this drive every weekend for the next two months
This is what makes beta testing so difficult to predict. I've had reasonably good luck with 10.10.2. Yesterday with my son-in-law in the car who is just waiting for delivery of his new Model Y I showed him FSD Beta. What a mess but I wasn't entirely surprised since when I try FSD in this old Massachusetts "mill city" FSD really struggles and I often have multiple disengagements. I suspect it's part mapping, odd intersections and lousy lane mappings. Snow along the side of the streets didn't help either. Of course it's exactly these types of road layouts that Tesla has to get right if they ever hope to approach regulators in my state. When I watch Whole Mars Catalog drives I'm struck by just how well the roads are marked which clearly makes a big difference.

I wanted to add one observation that should be obvious, but until it happened to me I never thought about it. FSD beta now uses a combination of regen, coast and friction braking to slow down. This has made the phantom braking events far less noticeable, since FSD primarily relies on regen.

Today I had to run out and do a quick errand. It was below freezing outside and I didn't have time to condition the battery. And guess what, FSD beta didn't use regen to slow down. The combination of coasting and friction braking made me feel like I was back about five releases ago.

Hill crests with curving roads presents challenges. Unless FSD knows the road is curving from the map, there is no way to visually tell whether the car in front is coming in the other lane or in our lane.

The car wanted to go to the shoulder on the right for some reason and had to disengage. Not sure which vehicle FSD was trying to avoid. But, you can also see the 3rd vehicle in the front - unless you know the road is curving as the hill crests, there is no way to tell whether it is in the other lane or our lane.

vlcsnap-2022-03-01-09h04m54s008.png

Last edited:
Hill crests with curving roads presents challenges. Unless FSD knows the road is curving from the map, there is no way to visually tell whether the car in front is coming in the other lane or in our lane.
What I've never understood about the FSD beta implementation is why it doesn't better utilize the lateral acceleration signal. FSD does know if it is going up or down a hill (longitudinal acceleration) else it would be terribly overshooting speed limits on downhills and slowing down initially on uphills. The combination of steering wheel angle and the lateral acceleration value should be able to augment the vision system for the case that you describe. Maybe the quality of the lateral acceleration signal isn't good enough for FSD usage.

Which brings me another pet peeves. FSD beta should also know where oncoming cars are located at night. The automatic high beam implementation seems to respond to lights and headlight reflections that are obviously not in the oncoming lane.

I’ve had a lot of issues with 10.10.2. Mainly horrible lane choices, like two lanes next to a turn lane, the car is supposed to be in the turn lane, yet it’s in the far right lane, then tries to get into the left turn lane at the absolute last second, with no room to do so. This seems due to the recent map “update”.

The “creeping for visibility” is awful. It’s creeping because it CAN’T see. I can see just fine, but the placement of those b-pillar cameras cannot, hence the “creeping”. Well, when you’re creeping into the middle of an intersection, at a 4 way stop, with clear view of everything at the intersection, it’s not normal. Some are handled fine though.

Some improvement on turns, but overall, this version is worse than 10.10 or 10.9 for me. At first I thought it was due to all the snow we had, it’s been mostly gone the past week, and 10.10.2 actually seems to have gotten worse.

Reactions: old pilot

The car wanted to go to the shoulder on the right for some reason and had to disengage. Not sure which vehicle FSD was trying to avoid. But, you can also see the 3rd vehicle in the front - unless you know the road is curving as the hill crests, there is no way to tell whether it is in the other lane or our lane.
One would think since the front cameras are higher than the human's eyes FSD would actually do better at handling hill crests with curving roads. Maps of course should help even more but when I'm driving on a road I've never been on before I don't have access to map data and I seem to make out ok.

One would think since the front cameras are higher than the human's eyes FSD would actually do better at handling hill crests with curving roads. Maps of course should help even more but when I'm driving on a road I've never been on before I don't have access to map data and I seem to make out ok.
Or they have to build the intelligence that when near hill crests don’t freak out if a vehicle seems to be coming towards us but if on flat road, freak out.

I’ve had a lot of issues with 10.10.2. Mainly horrible lane choices, like two lanes next to a turn lane, the car is supposed to be in the turn lane, yet it’s in the far right lane, then tries to get into the left turn lane at the absolute last second, with no room to do so. This seems due to the recent map “update”.

The “creeping for visibility” is awful. It’s creeping because it CAN’T see. I can see just fine, but the placement of those b-pillar cameras cannot, hence the “creeping”. Well, when you’re creeping into the middle of an intersection, at a 4 way stop, with clear view of everything at the intersection, it’s not normal. Some are handled fine though.

Some improvement on turns, but overall, this version is worse than 10.10 or 10.9 for me. At first I thought it was due to all the snow we had, it’s been mostly gone the past week, and 10.10.2 actually seems to have gotten worse.
I've definitely had mixed results with 10.10.2. Some drives are better than previous builds others worse. I guess that is the one or two steps forward and one or two steps back situation. I've also had the bad lane choices but for me it has been when the car at the last minute tries to get over for a right hand turn after moving into a left hand turn lane in error.
Creeping just takes too long with cars right behind me but everyone complains about that too. Probably half of my disengagements are due to cars right behind me when I'm trying to avoid a pissed off driver or worried about getting hit. Some decisions in 10.10.2 I find are being made more quickly but the delays are still a major problem in traffic. Drive late at night with little traffic and FSD seems is so much better even when it's not just because I can let FSD take it's time.

I had a round trip from Bay Area to Big Sur last weekend. 10.10.2 redeemed itself from my terrible early impression. My return trip only had one disengagement due to turning into a right turn lane one block too early. It would probably fix itself and go straight. Compare with my multiple 10.8.1 long trips I’d say 10.10.2 is not worse, maybe even slightly better on the winding highway 1. It also has a new behavior to dodge the oncoming cars if it feels them too close to the centerline.

It still tries to curb the rear left wheel every time when I take my daughter to school one mile from home, that’s the main negative I have with it now.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I drove a short stretch yesterday on what should have been an easy drive. Two lanes, clear, 35 mph, driving fine, then visualization shows the car veering off to the right. All frames show FSD engaged, oncoming vehicles nicely placed and visualized, NO REASON TO CHANGE COURSE. Then FSD visualization disappears,

This is 5 frames of a couple seconds of this. I could not find any reason "why".

Animation5.gif

I much prefer just driving myself.

I drove a short stretch yesterday on what should have been an easy drive. Two lanes, clear, 35 mph, driving fine, then visualization shows the car veering off to the right. All frames show FSD engaged, oncoming vehicles nicely placed and visualized, NO REASON TO CHANGE COURSE. Then FSD visualization disappears,

This is 5 frames of a couple seconds of this. I could not find any reason "why".

View attachment 776206

I much prefer just driving myself.
This is similar to what happened to me ... see my post above. Seems to be trying to avoid a vehicle by going to the right shoulder.

• Informative
Reactions: Crew_Dragon