Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm - that's what I'm on. You car doesn't slow down at all for curves?
only after I enter the curve. I was thinking it does that based on perhaps lateral acceleration. But nothing prior to the curve. And as I said, I was trying to slow via the max speed which wasn't perfect but used to work. Now it might drift down a couple mph but not really any slowing. So I'm not doing much local FSD now and when I do I do a fair amount of disengaging.

Forget winter. It doesn't slow down in hairpin curves on good pavement. I've got some around here that drop from 40/45 to 15. There has been a change in FSD. It used to not slow down at all. Now it does in the middle of the curve which isn't the greatest idea traction wise. Maybe the accelerometers force it now. Plus lately I'll dial down the max ahead of time and still have to disengage because it does slow based on the lower max either until it has gone a long way and then very slowly.

I know it doesn't know about yellow signs but just reading the map should tell it something. And what's with not slowing down when I dial down the max? It does do that when the speed limit signs change. Not all that well IMHO but probably not a ticket getter.
It slows down when going downhill, but not uphill. Is that what you see ?

It slows down when going downhill, but not uphill. Is that what you see ?
Neither but mostly I'm pretty flat. There is one about a mile from my house that is completely flat on one side and a bit of a slope on the other. It's a 40->15 curve and not too bad. About 90 degrees. The flat to up is the outside and I've let it take it on a perfect day (not recently) and it did not slow. The inside is down->flat and that's too scary for the likes of me.

When I scroll the speed down, I'd say it would be about 250-300 years before the turn. The scrolling takes a few seconds. The wheel doesn't seem to react any more to a really fast scroll than a medium steady scroll in terms of speed drop. It is faster than a somewhat slow scroll.

When I scroll the speed down, I'd say it would be about 250-300 years before the turn. The scrolling takes a few seconds. The wheel doesn't seem to react any more to a really fast scroll than a medium steady scroll in terms of speed drop. It is faster than a somewhat slow scroll.
Yes, this has been an issue in recent releases. Very slow to respond to change to lower speeds.

You mean it kept going on the left even with oncoming traffic ?
Yes.

In fact, now I remember, 10 days ago I was driving through Big Sur on CA highway 1, there were several road works and traffics were redirected to the oncoming lane by cones and makeshift traffic light. FSD did fine moving to the oncoming lane (albeit moved over at the last second) but it wanted to stay there even after our lane was clear and we were driving into the oncoming cars waiting at their makeshift traffic light. I think this is the same behavior.

If I didn’t disengage, I bet it would sit right in front of the oncoming car and pretend to be “waiting for the traffic”. That would be hilarious. Did it forget to tell the direction of the cars?

Yes.

In fact, now I remember, 10 days ago I was driving through Big Sur on CA highway 1, there were several road works and traffics were redirected to the oncoming lane by cones and makeshift traffic light. FSD did fine moving to the oncoming lane (albeit moved over at the last second) but it wanted to stay there even after our lane was clear and we were driving into the oncoming cars waiting at their makeshift traffic light. I think this is the same behavior.

If I didn’t disengage, I bet it would sit right in front of the oncoming car and pretend to be “waiting for the traffic”. That would be hilarious. Did it forget to tell the direction of the cars?
In my case it did veer back over to the right side. It was too close for comfort, though and had I been going any fast than 20 mph I would have taken over myself. The other car didn’t appreciate it either.

Has anyone had a better FSD experience by increasing the following distance on city streets?
I'm using the Chill profile and the following distance has been at 2 or 3 this whole time, but last night I tried moving it to 5 or 6 and I was having a lot less phantom breaking and last minute steering when the lane starts curving.

Here was a crazy bone head Beta did this morning on an EASY road. It even started vering to the right like it might side swipe the cars. I think it may have been trying to pass the "on coming" parked truck on the right.

Confusing wide shoulders for the lane seems to be somewhat common. Using good maps would be useful here. Happens to me once in a while too in one place …

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Has anyone had a better FSD experience by increasing the following distance on city streets?
I'm using the Chill profile and the following distance has been at 2 or 3 this whole time, but last night I tried moving it to 5 or 6 and I was having a lot less phantom breaking and last minute steering when the lane starts curving.
I don't believe you can change following distances with FSD (city driving) that only works with the highway autopilot.

Confusing wide shoulders for the lane seems to be somewhat common. Using good maps would be useful here. Happens to me once in a while too in one place …
Have traversed that many times on Beta and never a problem until today (other than trying to pull out in front of carso_O). Usually there are cars parked on the street up to the Stop sign and Beta lines up in the middle (hindering the other lane, another problem) and goes straight across. Today it turned back in and was sitting at the Stop sign at an angle and started crossing at that angle towards the parking lane.

As far as maps go that is an excuse at best and a crutch if needed at worst. Maps should be used as backup and general information. Beta needs to make better than average human decisions as it drives even without any map data. No human needs a map to know that driving into a parking lane straight at a parked vehicle and then veer "off road" to go around is wrong. This can't be excused as just a map problem. Beta MUST just plan old DRIVE better.

Ok - I was turning out of our neighborhood onto a county road> I had a stop sign, cross traffic traveling 50 MPH did not. Tesla stopped at the stop sign, then inched forward, then stopped. I paid attention to the screen rather than the road and saw 2 alerts. First it said it was creeping forward, then "waiting for high speed cross traffic, use accelerator pedal or cruise stalk to resume." I'll also note that there was no traffic on the road at this time so there was nothing to wait for.

This tells me that FSD 10.2 just can't handle these intersections.

IMG_3026 copy.jpg

IMG_3027 copy.jpg

No human needs a map to know that driving into a parking lane straight at a parked vehicle and then veer "off road" to go around is wrong. This can't be excused as just a map problem. Beta MUST just plan old DRIVE better.
I know …. may be some day. But for now, they know from the map that there is only one right lane, so use that one lane.

Ok - I was turning out of our neighborhood onto a county road> I had a stop sign, cross traffic traveling 50 MPH did not. Tesla stopped at the stop sign, then inched forward, then stopped. I paid attention to the screen rather than the road and saw 2 alerts. First it said it was creeping forward, then "waiting for high speed cross traffic, use accelerator pedal or cruise stalk to resume." I'll also note that there was no traffic on the road at this time so there was nothing to wait for.

This tells me that FSD 10.2 just can't handle these intersections.

View attachment 778891
Agreed. I have seen this message over a variety of builds. Don't see it as often now though.

Agreed. I have seen this message over a variety of builds. Don't see it as often now though.
How wide of an angle can the B pillar cameras see? At an intersection such as this one typically stops and turns his/her head 90º to the left and right. Unless there's a hill or other obstruction, 1000' of visibility will give plenty of range to make the turn. This intersection had very clear sight lines and there was no traffic at all (i.e. no visible cars for over 1000' in either direction) the fact that the car couldn't handle the turn makes me question if it would ever be able to.

I know …. may be some day. But for now, they know from the map that there is only one right lane, so use that one lane.
I agree - maps are not a substitute for being able to read and analyze the road and a system that depends on them for such will not perform well.

I did have an instance today for which map data would have been very useful/helpful. Turning left at a light, 2 left turn lanes. Almost immediately after that the road onto which I turned had a light with a mandatory left turn lane and a single lane to proceed straight. FSD chose the left/inside left turn lane at the first light, then found itself in the left turn lane at the following light and couldn’t figure things out. Had it chosen the outside turn lane at the first light it would have been in the proper lane for the next light. Baby steps…

• Informative
Reactions: lurker131