Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok - people were asking for success stories where no intervention was required, so here’s 1 ⅞.

Earlier this evening I drove from downtown minneapolis out to a suburb - about 15 miles and a little over 20 minutes. I turned on FSD as soon as I left the parking ramp and the only intervention it needed was switching lanes on the highway (Which was NOA, not FSD anyway.) It navigated the downtown city streets, getting on the highway, exiting the highway and turning into the parking lot. Granted this was 7:00 at night and there’s less traffic to deal with but it still did quite well.

The next trip was about 15 minutes and 7 miles through suburban streets. FSD made it all the way home than had a pretty big miss - it veered into the turn lane rather than continuing in the main lane to go straight, as 10.2 seems to do on a regular basis. At the end of the turn lane, it got confused and rather than veering back to the main road it turned but then ended up heading straight for the curb on the opposite side of the road, panicked and stopped. Had it not been for that it would have made the second trip as well.

I haven’t seen autopark since the first FSD beta. Service center says they don’t diagnose beta software.
I've had Autopark with the FSD Betas starting when I got it at 10.8 It even does camera only parallel parking when there's only one car.

One problem I had previously with Autopark is that it requires additional camera calibration. I had deleted my calibration data and the car recalibrated; however, camera-based Autopark requires considerable additional calibration. You can tell this by looking at the Autopilot Settings dialog; it will show a calibration status if it's not finished.

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
A few months back I could autopark into Supercharger spots with just the lines visible and no cars around, but I haven't been able to get a reverse Autopark to work/appear in either the FSD stack, or even with the legacy AP stack.

Parallels spots are really hit or miss too even with a camera calibration.

Ok - now a failure. Driving today I came up to a couple of cars stopped at a red light. FSD was going to make a left at the intersection and must have decided the cars were ‘parked’ and started to cross the double yellow line to go around them.

Later on (same trip) I encountered a stoplight that was blinking red. FSD stopped and wouldn’t proceed. 🤦‍♂️ That’s a pretty basic thing to miss.

I haven’t seen autopark since the first FSD beta. Service center says they don’t diagnose beta software.
Yeah, I haven’t either, come to think of it. It never reliably showed up for me but The times I’ve tried to find it it hasn’t shown up.
Drive very slowly (2 to 3 mph) some 5 ft from the parking spots. There is a bit of learning curve here - so might have to practice a bit.

It took me a bit of trial and error early on … now I can get auto parking to work every time.

I have complained about Beta's 100% failure (from the right lane which it almost always uses) to go in its lane across this intersection. It will always try and turn into the left lane or if blocked will bail to a right hand turn. Was first at red-light and it tried to change into the left lane which would have blocked both. I disengaged and then reengaged as car pulled to the left/blocked. Then I see the path projection to a right turn. It looks like the camera is seeing the lane separator lane as going to the right and draws the line to the right (see pic). Hard to see in the pic because of focus and a Tesla (I think) photo bombing the line but it does kinda look that way but any human can see it goes straight across. Not sure how it will ever address this as long it sees the lane going right.

IMG_0617.jpeg

Here is pic standing on the sidewalk looking the same direction.
IMG_0284.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Nothing too mind-blowing, but maybe an indication of how expectations of Autopilot will change when "basic" lane keeping from FSD Beta makes it to the wider fleet. Here is when FSD Beta 10.10.2 started smoothly shifting over to the side for oncoming traffic already over the middle line and then later shifted over even more as it passed the parked truck with cones on the ground:

oncoming shift.jpg

I hadn't thought about it much before, but here the 2 cones are probably only clearly visible by the narrow/far camera, so with the car turning slightly right to give way, the truck and cones might disappear from that camera's view, so having narrow-camera memory feeding into what the main/fisheye cameras can see would help boost confidence in the unified prediction of those objects.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Nothing too mind-blowing, but maybe an indication of how expectations of Autopilot will change when "basic" lane keeping from FSD Beta makes it to the wider fleet. Here is when FSD Beta 10.10.2 started smoothly shifting over to the side for oncoming traffic already over the middle line and then later shifted over even more as it passed the parked truck with cones on the ground:

View attachment 785366

I hadn't thought about it much before, but here the 2 cones are probably only clearly visible by the narrow/far camera, so with the car turning slightly right to give way, the truck and cones might disappear from that camera's view, so having narrow-camera memory feeding into what the main/fisheye cameras can see would help boost confidence in the unified prediction of those objects.
This "moving over" behavior reminds me of a question for y'all. Now that the car isn't driving down the middle of the road, on unmarked residential streets, it feels too close to cars parallel parked along the curb. Much closer than I would drive. I think if one of those cars opened a driver's door abruptly, I'd hit the door. Anybody else feel this way? Has anybody had a door open in front of you, and how did it respond?

Watch some youtube videos and try to follow what they do. Not the most intuitive, but, I'm sure you can learn how to get it to work.
I can give that a try. But the very idea that you have to watch a view a video to learn how to get your car go autonomously auto-park is somewhere between rube goldberg and an oxymoron. I can't see this being a big winner for the general public.