Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Driving down a 4 lane/45mph large, well marked street. Over a mile from an navigation planned right turn, in the right lane. Several times the left turn signal ‘blipped’ not even one full blink. Never had that before, I am on FSD 10.11.2
I've seen that also. It might be a conflict between FSD and navigation. Whenever it happens to me it seems completely random.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Driving down a 4 lane/45mph large, well marked street. Over a mile from an navigation planned right turn, in the right lane. Several times the left turn signal ‘blipped’ not even one full blink. Never had that before, I am on FSD 10.11.2
As if PB wasn't enough allow me to introduce its cousin (twice removed), phantom blinking.

I'm still on 10.10.2 and experience the same in motion. Another one that amused me just Thursday was sitting at a left turn red arrow. The blinker was coming on for about 20", going off for 5-10, and back on. I was 4 cars back from the stop line.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I'm still on 10.10.2 but have had something like that happen for a few versions. In my case, I'm coming north where a bypass splits off to the right from the old route (I'm still on the old). I'm heading for home and I do want to make a left turn about a mile ahead which is what nav says to do. Right after the split is a traffic light. I'm not sure how often happens but the car starts signaling for a left turn. Not just a blip but a full left even though nav still indicates a turn in about a mile. Someday I should not cancel and see if indeed it takes a left at that light.

Another different but perhaps in the same errant code, again on the way home, is a sharp left curve. I'd say about 1/2 the time, it turns on the turn signal, goes around the curve and turns it off. It's just a curve. Not two roads happening to meet. The same road with a curve. And just this curve. About a mile from this curve is another curve about the same angle (both pretty close to 90) and it has never turned on the signal for that one. As it is the road that runs in front of my house I am on both going both directions all the time. Oh, and the blinker only goes on doing a left curve. Never going the other way making it a right curve.

yeah I see it as well .. brief turn signal activation, then off again, but no lane change or anything else
With 10.11.2 I've seen FSD ignore the navigation altogether. How is this possible? Maybe it's because the navigation is supposedly from MapBox, the map data are from TomTom and the UI overlay is from Google Maps. I have a feeling that Tesla just uses TomTom as a starting point and adds information from OSM and maybe the cars themselves.

The navigation is starting to become an annoyance. There was hope that when Tesla introduced waypoints that this would allow the user to select a custom route. But waypoints as designed by Tesla are pretty much useless for that. I also was hoping that such a custom route could be saved for repeated use. I'd estimate that more than half of my disengagements with 10.11.2 are to stay on a route that makes more sense than the one that the car's navigation system has picked.

I find waypoints hard to use. Why couldn't they simply have allowed "drive to the post office, then the grocery store, and then back home" or something like that? While they are at it, allow me to save destinations given that nav can find only about 40% of the places I go.

After a lot more driving on 10.11.2, I can say that for me, the random whimsical hesitations (the kind that can easily be felt but hard to see in a video) on local 2-lane roads is much improved. Slowing down for curves is a bit smoother too. I still have jittery turns sometimes, but these can be mitigated somewhat with adding some manual acceleration.

It seems a lot of the comfort issues are due to current lack of confidence by the car.

One safety downside of this version is that it seems to be more liberal when choosing to cross double yellows. Twice now I've had to stop the car from crossing due to oncoming traffic.

Here's a spot that FSD misses every time -
There's a set of railroad tracks 20-30 feet before the intersection. The right turn lane is separated by a concrete median so it can have its own RR crossing arm. There's a white line across the lane before the RR Tracks and again at the intersection (there's room for at least 2 cars between the tracks and the intersection) FSD will either stop at the first line and not proceed or it will just barrel through everything even if the light is red. I don't know if it thinks the lane is actually a turn lane with a yield sign because it's separated by a median but I've had to slam on the brakes to prevent it from driving right into traffic on several occasions.

1649716042197.png

1649716282834.png

After a lot more driving on 10.11.2 ....

One safety downside of this version is that it seems to be more liberal when choosing to cross double yellows. Twice now I've had to stop the car from crossing due to oncoming traffic.

Only twice?! I'm stuck on 10.10.2 and I had this happen 4-5 times yesterday alone, which is fairly typical for my experience with FSD, and I didn't even count FSD trying to cross the double yellow line on most right turns, or veering towards the double yellow for perceived mailbox-shaped people (which happens 5-10 times per day for me).

As if PB wasn't enough allow me to introduce its cousin (twice removed), phantom blinking.

I'm still on 10.10.2 and experience the same in motion. Another one that amused me just Thursday was sitting at a left turn red arrow. The blinker was coming on for about 20", going off for 5-10, and back on. I was 4 cars back from the stop line.
I’ve seen the phantom/whimsical blinking as well… twice in the exact same location the right turn signal activates for one blink, which confuses the oncoming cars, then my car proceeds straight 😕 oncoming cars are not amused 😞 have to say though, i believe overall 10.11.2 is an improvement over 10.10.2. i see progress, left turns within a neighborhood (t intersection with 1 stop sign) commit much earlier in the turn than previous releases. fsd beta works best for me on 4-6 lane divided non interstate highways, very few interventions required…

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Only twice?! I'm stuck on 10.10.2 and I had this happen 4-5 times yesterday alone, which is fairly typical for my experience with FSD, and I didn't even count FSD trying to cross the double yellow line on most right turns, or veering towards the double yellow for perceived mailbox-shaped people (which happens 5-10 times per day for me).

Funny how our individual experiences can vary so widely, huh?

Yeah swerving to avoid mailbox "people" is more common, but it hasn't come close to crossing the double yellow in the past. The exception is when it's raining during the day. Then it crosses the double yellow all the time and for no apparent reason.

Been driving a lot more since my last post, and I have to say I'm actually changing my tune with this release. It's doing a lot better than the past versions (I started on 10.2 from last October).

Hoping something didn't screw up . It is at 60% install. I was putting out the trash and plugged it in whilst there. It made a pretty sickening whine for about a minute. Then the 'T' light in the charging port went off. The button won't unlock (I haven't tried the manual release)

Hoping something didn't screw up . It is at 60% install. I was putting out the trash and plugged it in whilst there. It made a pretty sickening whine for about a minute. Then the 'T' light in the charging port went off. The button won't unlock (I haven't tried the manual release)
It's probably just in the middle of the install/reboot process. They warn you that you won't be able to drive your car, etc during the install. give it some time.

I too just received and installed FSD Beta 10.11.2 on my hardware upgraded 12/2016 MX90D. So it appears as though Beta uploads are again happening, at least for rhose of us that were stuck on v10.10.2. A quick several mile test loop at night seemed to work a little better at least in low traffic.

Got pushed 10.11.2 around 6pm PST last night. Failed a lot in different areas but improved in others, might need a camera calibration now that the camera delay bug is fixed.
Interesting. I guess they move the camera delay around. I never had it until today (got the 10.11.2 last night). A couple times everything delayed then came on . Other times, 1 or 2 of the side cameras delayed on and then another second or two and the rear came on.

Got pushed 10.11.2 around 6pm PST last night. Failed a lot in different areas but improved in others, might need a camera calibration now that the camera delay bug is fixed.
Yeah I also had my first day on 10.11.2 today, and I was less than impressed. I suppose there were fewer whimsical hesitations and mailbox people, but way more random blinkers for no reason, and it really struggled to stay in the lane on any kind of curve in the road. Even on straight sections it was much more apt to swerve to one side of the lane or another based on nearby obstacles or oncoming cars, even if the oncoming cars were perfectly centered in their lane.

The blinkers were super annoying on curves in the road, but somewhat dangerous when it happened approaching intersections or forks in the road. The route plan had no correlation to the blinkers - sometimes it would signal left or right (or back and forth between them) when going straight, sometimes signaled right and got into left lane, etc. I was worried an aggressive driver behind me would maneuver into my space assuming I would go the direction my turn signal indicated, creating potential for a collision.

Hopefully this was just a bad day for it, and it was raining for most of my driving. I'm very disappointed so far after waiting ~2 months for any update at all, and honestly today's driving had a lot more issues than an average day on 10.10.2.

Yeah I also had my first day on 10.11.2 today, and I was less than impressed. I suppose there were fewer whimsical hesitations and mailbox people, but way more random blinkers for no reason, and it really struggled to stay in the lane on any kind of curve in the road. Even on straight sections it was much more apt to swerve to one side of the lane or another based on nearby obstacles or oncoming cars, even if the oncoming cars were perfectly centered in their lane.

The blinkers were super annoying on curves in the road, but somewhat dangerous when it happened approaching intersections or forks in the road. The route plan had no correlation to the blinkers - sometimes it would signal left or right (or back and forth between them) when going straight, sometimes signaled right and got into left lane, etc. I was worried an aggressive driver behind me would maneuver into my space assuming I would go the direction my turn signal indicated, creating potential for a collision.

Hopefully this was just a bad day for it, and it was raining for most of my driving. I'm very disappointed so far after waiting ~2 months for any update at all, and honestly today's driving had a lot more issues than an average day on 10.10.2.
Sounds about right. Not impressed.

Ski