Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way, has anyone who has been paying attention to wifi FSD uploads after a drive noticed any changes?

The last two of three drives, there seem to have been no uploads. Possible that all three of the last drives, no uploads (I just use bulk upload numbers to estimate this). Most recent drive, if any upload, greatly reduced in size.

By the way, has anyone who has been paying attention to wifi FSD uploads after a drive noticed any changes?

The last two of three drives, there seem to have been no uploads. Possible that all three of the last drives, no uploads (I just use bulk upload numbers to estimate this). Most recent drive, if any upload, greatly reduced in size.
So they quit caring? :p

How do you check the uploads? DIdn’t know you could do that. Joking aside, it’s possible that they actually have stopped caring about issues from the current version because they’ve done their analysis and are focusing on preparing the next version for release.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
My 202 MY comes down a slight slope to a stop sign and madly accelerates. If I don’t slam on the brakes it will run it. On Commercial at Orange in south San Francisco.

I also get a consistent collision warning on a parked car on my street. Both reported multiple times.

Last edited:
Search … ? It’s on Tesla YouTube channel.
I've watched the youtube video on AI day. I do not claim I understood what was discussed, I learned to use a computer when we still used DOS and even before DOS, but I do not remember any discussion of cost-optimization or how it works, I may have fallen asleep during that part. What I do understand is that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line and thus the least time to travel (assuming we are on the ground, not in the air). When I am on a roadway with S curves in it and can see far enough ahead to know there is no oncoming traffic I will cross the center line and drive as straight line between two points on the road, this reduces distance and time. The limiting factor is the right side of the roadway (assuming in US), I cannot go off of the road. In the situation I've described I cross the centerline from the left and the right side creating a straight line between two points which reduces distance traveled. What the car does is cross the centerline from the right side only, and briefly, and then returns to the center right side of the road. This increases distance and time. Please do not misunderstand, I am not trying to be argumentative, I do understand that there are people, like yourself, who understand how these systems work much better than I and have been dealing with it much longer than I. I assume that the speed of the car and G forces are a factor as well as passenger comfort all are factored in this as well but I assume that has nothing to do with cost-optimizing. Maybe I don't understand the term "cost-optimization".

What I do understand is that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line and thus the least time to travel (assuming we are on the ground, not in the air). When I am on a roadway with S curves in it and can see far enough ahead to know there is no oncoming traffic I will cross the center line and drive as straight line between two points on the road, this reduces distance and time.
Cost optimization is not purely a computer subject. Its basically a technique to find the most optimal plan when there are multiple variables/costs involved - and you can assign weights for each variable.

In your example, you have to consider
- Local laws
- Any obstacles
- Speed limits

and then optimize for time, safety and comfort.

Given a situation, we can easily come up with a plan / path easily. But how can FSD find the optimal path given millions of permutations and combinations ? That is why they use cost optimization as a technique. They plan to change that with Beta 11. See my Beta 11 sticky thread.

In the situation I've described I cross the centerline from the left and the right side creating a straight line between two points which reduces distance traveled.
This is how I used to drive. But there are roads where I do not cut corners due to tight wooded curves, frequent tourists, and buses. FSD wants to cut these curves.

To trust my car, I want it to recognize the correct lane and drive in it. I do observe that it pays more attention to lane keeping with oncoming traffic but crossing lane dividing lines (especially the noisy cross hatched ones) is not appreciated.

Reactions: mxnym and sleepydoc
This is how I used to drive. But there are roads where I do not cut corners due to tight wooded curves, frequent tourists, and buses. FSD wants to cut these curves.

To trust my car, I want it to recognize the correct lane and drive in it. I do observe that it pays more attention to lane keeping with oncoming traffic but crossing lane dividing lines (especially the noisy cross hatched ones) is not appreciated.
I agree with everything you state. The only reason I described making a straight line on a roadway with S curves was to demonstrate that I saw no advantage in crossing the roadway centerline in just one direction (there is no savings in time or distance). Like you, because I cannot communicate with the car to ask what it is doing, I want it to always stay between the yellow and white lines on the roadway.
I will still try to make a straight line out of a curvy roadway but I know if I see oncoming traffic I will get into the correct lane and if I have a passenger they can ask me what I am doing and I can reassure them as to what I will do. Maybe tesla can program the computer to put a message on screen stating the same thing I just did, that would help.

Reactions: FSDtester#1