Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just tried 10.12.2 on a rough I've shown here before. It is still making turns very well and slowing nicely for curves in the roadway. It accelerates more quickly after finishing a turn. It is staying in its lane more than it did on the previous versions. It still has trouble insuring an opening in traffic coming from the left at an intersection that is at an odd angle (120 deg.) to the roadway. I tried this a second time (not filmed) and it did a similar move where it puled out into the roadway at a 120 deg. angle then turned slightly left to a 90 deg. angle ( I assume so the post camera could see better) then completed the turn.
I'm not sure why it is seeing or at least displaying vehicles that are not there (a new mystery).

Anyone new to FSD in 2022 with this version?
Not according to TeslaFi, yet...

6EFD3BA3-F5C5-4D17-ABDC-F809F6ECFAA2.jpeg

Also - who here is 'the guy' that went from 10.6 to 10.12!?

There has been a new release recently - but looks like there’s some significant hiccups. Check out forum — FSD Beta 10.12.
Thanks for the pointer. And guess what. Just today we got 2022.12.3.20. I let the computer drive home from downtown a few minutes ago, and it did quite well. The only exception was a place on OR 99 where it goes from 2 lanes to 1. We were in the right lane. When we got to where the lane separator line ended, the car swerved harshly to the left.

Thanks for the pointer. And guess what. Just today we got 2022.12.3.20. I let the computer drive home from downtown a few minutes ago, and it did quite well. The only exception was a place on OR 99 where it goes from 2 lanes to 1. We were in the right lane. When we got to where the lane separator line ended, the car swerved harshly to the left.
Was that on FSD beta (red/yellow/grey) or NoA (blue/white)?

That sounds distinctly like NoA behavior and I would be disappointed to hear you're seeing that behavior on FSD beta.

12.3.20 is on the roll. Last I looked teslafi was around 100. Now ~1500 and I just started downloading.
From Stats App, not as precise since it‘s only calculated as a percentage of Stats App users, but it’s reporting that 36.6% of it’s FSD Beta users are on 12.3.20 and ~30% of that came today (according to the next image). On the roll, indeed.
8cca06e6-a82c-44e4-a23e-a0c043f7d1f7-jpeg.811651

This is the day/day change in reported versions. So ~30% movement from 4.5.21 to 12.3.20 happed today. I received my notification 1800 EST—and I’m never usually in the first waves…
A63741B6-4AAB-49FC-A9A0-D1F465866E43.png

Attachments

• 8CCA06E6-A82C-44E4-A23E-A0C043F7D1F7.jpeg
    8CCA06E6-A82C-44E4-A23E-A0C043F7D1F7.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 194
Drove on 10.12.2 today and had something happen for the first time. Making an unprotected right turn on the road at the end of my street. FSD was engaged and map showed the turn and a verbal announcement of the right turn was made. The car stopped a the stop sign and moved forward for better view of roadway then made a sudden left turn, I assumed for a better view, then instead of turning right it went straight across the intersection. There was no traffic in either direction so I let it go. Sent message to tesla. I've never had any of the other prior FSD's do this. It was a very sudden move of the wheel and acceleration.

Drove on 10.12.2 today and had something happen for the first time. Making an unprotected right turn on the road at the end of my street. FSD was engaged and map showed the turn and a verbal announcement of the right turn was made. The car stopped a the stop sign and moved forward for better view of roadway then made a sudden left turn, I assumed for a better view, then instead of turning right it went straight across the intersection. There was no traffic in either direction so I let it go. Sent message to tesla. I've never had any of the other prior FSD's do this. It was a very sudden move of the wheel and acceleration.
Yeah, you can see this in some famous YouTubers’ videos. I also reported it in the 10.12 thread. Here is my video clip

In my opinion this is super bad behavior, worst it has done for a long time. When my car goes that deep into the cross road, it is simply shouldn’t be allowed to swerve back to go “straight”, as the car behind me might already have taken my position. Yet it does it so sudden with so much dedication. Yuck!

what did you have NOA set on ? I found I some time forget and it was trying to take me to work on a weekend morning or a weekday morning but I wasnt going to work. and start taking other ways in stead of the straight trip I wanted. some times if you don put in any destination it wil randomly go left or right or straight depending on which result it thinks it can excecute better If no destination is in there. . The new version might bias to going straight through and intersection with no other guidance input ( like a NOA destination.

Last edited:
what did you have NOA on to ? I found I some time forgot adn it was trying to take me to work on a weekend . and start taking other ways in stead of the straight trip I wanted. some times if you don put in any destination it wil randomly go left or right or straight depending on which result it thinks it can excecute better If no destination is in there. . The new version might bias to going straight through and intersection with no other guidance input ( like a NOA destination.
My understanding is that the highway autopilot (NOA) only functions on a highway not on city streets. The NOA and FSD are two separate auto driving systems. I am not an expert on this subject but what I have begun doing is whenever I enter a destination in navigation I engage the NOA button at the left bottom of the nav. route so that when and if I go on a road that is covered under the NOA auto pilot it will still function on Navigation. So to answer your question I had engaged NOA.

Yeah, you can see this in some famous YouTubers’ videos. I also reported it in the 10.12 thread. Here is my video clip

In my opinion this is super bad behavior, worst it has done for a long time. When my car goes that deep into the cross road, it is simply shouldn’t be allowed to swerve back to go “straight”, as the car behind me might already have taken my position. Yet it does it so sudden with so much dedication. Yuck!
try it 2 more time and see if it is repeatable. I have found when you are a new load things take a few miles to sort of stabilize out. i have a a very unpotected left turn in to my neighbor hood that presents the car with alot of differing oncoming traffic crossing 2 lane scenarios and after a few times after a new load it seems to pick better out comes.

My understanding is that the highway autopilot (NOA) only functions on a highway not on city streets. The NOA and FSD are two separate auto driving systems. I am not an expert on this subject but what I have begun doing is whenever I enter a destination in navigation I engage the NOA button at the left bottom of the nav. route so that when and if I go on a road that is covered under the NOA auto pilot it will still function on Navigation. So to answer your question I had engaged NOA.
ahh thanks yes that that is what i do as well in the FSD beta ( city streets) occasionally it will want to take a different rout to a familiar spot. that seems to be picking up traffic estimation to help with the route. I did notice two revs back the FSD beta picking a different route on a regular basis on side streets more than a tool road ( I am assuming based on it being technically a shorter rout on the side streets). the only other time is when faced with truly equal choices it does spend some time( and no route destination selected) it will definitely spend a bit of time " deciding" as it creeps forward. i have found a little bit of pressing on the accelerator makes it " decide" adn result in a smoother selection

ahh thanks yes that that is what i do as well in the FSD beta ( city streets) occasionally it will want to take a different rout to a familiar spot. that seems to be picking up traffic estimation to help with the route. I did notice two revs back the FSD beta picking a different route on a regular basis on side streets more than a tool road ( I am assuming based on it being technically a shorter rout on the side streets). the only other time is when faced with truly equal choices it does spend some time( and no route destination selected) it will definitely spend a bit of time " deciding" as it creeps forward. i have found a little bit of pressing on the accelerator makes it " decide" adn result in a smoother selection
The problem with the two separate auto pilots is there is no way to know, from looking a the route, if you will be on FSD or NOA. My understanding is that it is a function of posted speed limits (but I do not know this for sure). It is a confusing system, if you have FSD installed and active whenever you select a destination in Nav. the FSD auto pilot follows that route however for NOA to follow the route you must do the additional step of selecting the NOA button at the bottom of the Nav. route display.
The problem I was sighting however had nothing to do with NOA because it was a two lane road with a 45 MPH speed limit. I have made the same turn many times, successfully, without selecting NOA. This is an FSD problem (my guess)

try it 2 more time and see if it is repeatable. I have found when you are a new load things take a few miles to sort of stabilize out. i have a a very unpotected left turn in to my neighbor hood that presents the car with alot of differing oncoming traffic crossing 2 lane scenarios and after a few times after a new load it seems to pick better out comes.
I have to say this happens quite often in this version. It did it again this morning.
And this time at a protected left from a left only turn lane. I took over at the end and veered it back. It happens randomly at any intersection so it has to be something it saw at the time. It is very bad. I also noticed this behavior a lot on YouTube.

10.12.2 is awful for me in the drive leaving my neighborhood. Just this morning, 2 violent swings to the left across the middle line for no reason when I’m driving in a straight line, one red wheel of death telling me to take over immediately, fails to stay on the right side of the road when driving in straightaways and approaching turns where a car coming up and turning could hit me, attempts to drive into a driveway instead of following the road when it turns left, takes way too long to make two right turns at stops signs. All within a half mile.

Previous version had some of these issues, but no red wheel of death or violent swings to the left for no reason.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and Jeff N
The problem with the two separate auto pilots is there is no way to know, from looking a the route, if you will be on FSD or NOA. My understanding is that it is a function of posted speed limits (but I do not know this for sure). It is a confusing system, if you have FSD installed and active whenever you select a destination in Nav. the FSD auto pilot follows that route however for NOA to follow the route you must do the additional step of selecting the NOA button at the bottom of the Nav. route display.
The problem I was sighting however had nothing to do with NOA because it was a two lane road with a 45 MPH speed limit. I have made the same turn many times, successfully, without selecting NOA. This is an FSD problem (my guess)
On non-limited access roads I generally find that NOA becomes active when the speed limit is 65 mph, or greater.

• Helpful
Reactions: old pilot