Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10.12.2 is awful for me in the drive leaving my neighborhood. Just this morning, 2 violent swings to the left across the middle line for no reason when I’m driving in a straight line, one red wheel of death telling me to take over immediately, fails to stay on the right side of the road when driving in straightaways and approaching turns where a car coming up and turning could hit me, attempts to drive into a driveway instead of following the road when it turns left, takes way too long to make two right turns at stops signs. All within a half mile.

Previous version had some of these issues, but no red wheel of death or violent swings to the left for no reason.
2nd drive of the day leaving my jouse, no violent swerving…but I only tried keeping it engaged for the first 1/4 mile and gave up after getting one red wheel of death within the first 100 yards of the drive and having to wait at the second stop sign for more than 3 seconds with no cars coming. It s till crossed over the center line of the street way too much for my liking.

2nd drive of the day leaving my jouse, no violent swerving…but I only tried keeping it engaged for the first 1/4 mile and gave up after getting one red wheel of death within the first 100 yards of the drive and having to wait at the second stop sign for more than 3 seconds with no cars coming. It s till crossed over the center line of the street way too much for my liking.
You're not alone. Some aspects of this version seem better, others seem much worse. Most are related to turns, where bizarre behavior is more often and much worse.

Interesting as my feeling is that unprotected turns is about the only thing that is better. Not by much but I have only had minor wheel swings during the 'creep' phase. I haven't had the coming almost to a stop 30-40 feet from the stop line and crawling up to it. And once it finally decides to go, it seems a bit smoother.

Curves are much too fast still. Lane keeping seems about the same. I don't think I have had it long enough to judge phantom braking. It is still present and hard enough to hit the record button.

One thing I did forget. Musk and others (even here) seem to think we are getting close. But unless there is a secret switch they are going to through, there are real significant things just plan missing. Like even knowing about yellow signs. I think we have more of the sharp twisty stuff in the NE because that was settled first on our roads come from cow path meanderings. So I have tons of 90 degree and worse bends in the road. These often drop the speed from 40-50 down to 10-15. Although FSD is slowing a little bit now, it still goes way to fast. It's nerve wracking on a nice dry road. I'd never make it on wet or snow.

And of course there are tons of other cautions the yellow signs need to communicate.

Drove today on several routes I normally do. Turning is jerkier that previous version and it makes sudden moves on straightaways that I see no reason for, like a sudden move to the right when there is nothing there. One positive note is today it did not try to stop at an intersection that does not exist, on all past versions it has tried to stop at the same place for no reason.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu
I've had >150 miles driven on FSD since I got it this past Sat.

40% of the time it drives like a grandma.
40% like a bank robber.
Remaining 20% varying degrees of normalcy.

Can't imagine what it was like in early days!

1654634360015.gif

just took .12.2 on a long drive from northern VA to Cleveland and back . i deliberately used FSD beta in town and from and to the super chargers ( I charged only twice each way) . it shifted to NOA onthe highways and was near flawless at 78 to 80 MPH. I have driven half of this route to out side of Pittsburg numerous times with previous load pre FSD Beta and this one for me at least ( "17 MS fully upgraded 90D) was the best of the bunch yet.. now having said that i did have a few minor issues.. on the way back i started having a bit of phantom braking like hesitation then it blares out a loud succession of beeps with a "System SW failure" message line and the " take over immediately!" all the freak out beeps.. i'l popped it out of FSD and re enabled it and it never did it again. it was like it was having trouble keeping up with this self and started to " stutter" . Odd. almost like some buffer over flowed some where ( I captured a clip for them) .. another minor thing that got it in a conundrum was they were doing construction for 5 miles where they put out tall long " cones" but put them about a foot or two into the working lane sort of forced the car over the right white line ( though it had room to stay in the lane but lane keeping really sort of lost it with the no win scenario.. I then tried to pop it out of FSD and back in while straddling the white line ( and the rumble strips) . it was having none of that. Sso I actually had to " drive" (Oh dear) the 5 mile of construction. and lastly in Cleveland they have a small by pass road call rt 10 that is on the map ( blue line routing had it right on the screen) but the NOA didnt have the meta data. FSD kept wanting me to take side and cross streets. so I had to shut of FSD while on that road ( it was insistent on taking the side streets). so I once again had to actually "Drive" the car ( oh My!) for a few miles... I gotta say this is one heck of a science experiment!

Reactions: nvx1977
I agree with everything you state. The only reason I described making a straight line on a roadway with S curves was to demonstrate that I saw no advantage in crossing the roadway centerline in just one direction (there is no savings in time or distance). Like you, because I cannot communicate with the car to ask what it is doing, I want it to always stay between the yellow and white lines on the roadway.
I will still try to make a straight line out of a curvy roadway but I know if I see oncoming traffic I will get into the correct lane and if I have a passenger they can ask me what I am doing and I can reassure them as to what I will do. Maybe tesla can program the computer to put a message on screen stating the same thing I just did, that would help.
That sounds great in theory, but it's still putting us at greater liability in the event of a collision. Beyond that legal point, it also still waits until oncoming traffic is way too close to get into its own lane along with staying over double-yellows at the crests of hills and around blind corners. A message on the screen isn't going to reassure me in those scenarios. Per my experience, it's even worse on narrow roads with no white lines (double-yellow only). It will drive further from the edge of the road (and thus go over the double-yellow more even when the road is straight) when there isn't a white line than when there is, even if it's driving 15 mph slower than I might otherwise drive on the same road without so much as touching the yellows.

I don't think I've had it signal wrong. I have had it signal in the wrong place but I've assumed it was going to reroute and not follow nav. I'll have to test that sometime. Yes signalling is generally bad. I do have some places where you are staying on the road but going through a curve. Usually a pretty sharp curve. It will signal for that.

OTOTH, it really pisses me off that nav says to "now turn xxx" and the car does start turning or maybe moving in to a turning lane. The signals never come on at the right time. Dammit Tesla, you told me to turn, you are turning the car but you don't signal until much later. Both illegal and dangerous. And I would think an easy fix. Two separate systems (nav and the autopilot control) know I"m now or about to turn. Simply start blinking by then. Still not legal as you are required to signal prior to imitating the maneuver, but better than starting to signal after I'm already in the turn only lane. I feel like an idiot!

I don't think I've had it signal wrong. I have had it signal in the wrong place but I've assumed it was going to reroute and not follow nav. I'll have to test that sometime. Yes signalling is generally bad. I do have some places where you are staying on the road but going through a curve. Usually a pretty sharp curve. It will signal for that.

OTOTH, it really pisses me off that nav says to "now turn xxx" and the car does start turning or maybe moving in to a turning lane. The signals never come on at the right time. Dammit Tesla, you told me to turn, you are turning the car but you don't signal until much later. Both illegal and dangerous. And I would think an easy fix. Two separate systems (nav and the autopilot control) know I"m now or about to turn. Simply start blinking by then. Still not legal as you are required to signal prior to imitating the maneuver, but better than starting to signal after I'm already in the turn only lane. I feel like an idiot!
When I say wrong, I mean it signals left before turning right (and throughout the turn while the navigation said turn right) or it signals right when the lane to the right is ending. When I say phantom signals I mean going down a straight road with no intersections or curves in sight. Sometimes it blinks once, other times two or three times. I also experience everything you've mentioned, and the fact that it never signals to enter turn lanes baffles me. I generally initiate the signal with a soft lever action, but then I have to cancel it with another soft lever action after or it will leave it on forever. Another ridiculous one is "changing lanes to stay out of the far right lane" when there are only two lanes and it's driving the speed limit of 55 or 60. Staying out of the far right lane in cities and towns at lower speeds is sensible, but doing in the middle of nowhere at higher speeds is rude in all jurisdictions and also illegal in some.

I don't think I've ever had it signal the opposite way. NJ is pretty unequivocal about keeping to the right

The laws of New Jersey require motorists to keep to the right, except when
passing. Motorists must drive on the right half of the roadway unless driving
on a one-way street. Motorists must drive a vehicle as close as possible to the
right-hand edge or curb of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing
another vehicle. (N.J.S.A. 39:4-82)
On a multi-lane roadway, motorists must drive in the lane nearest to the right-
hand edge or curb of the roadway when the lane is available for travel, except
when overtaking another vehicle or in preparation for a left turn. (N.J.S.A.
39:4-88)