Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, our S does this too. I lower the speed with the stalk & it continues accelerating... so annoying!
I have a couple places where the speed limit changes at a light or stop. You can clearly see the lower speed sign maybe 30 feet or so from the intersection. The car accelerates so fast that it gets up above the new lower limit and 'bings' me. I have that set at 4mph above the limit. That is stupid, not safe/dangerous, and wasteful of energy.

10.69.4.2 Unusual situation last night driving home. At an intersection I was in the 4 lane roadway with a left turn lane, making a left into a two lane with a dedicated left turn lane. The left turn green arrow had extinguished so it was now an unprotected left turn and I was first in the intersection. Traffic was still moving through the intersection so the car pulled into the middle of the intersection waiting for a pause in traffic to complete the left turn or for the light to change to yellow and red and then move through. Everything is happening correctly except that I hear and then see blue flashing lights from my right rear, a police car is coming at high speed into the intersection and as per law all traffic stops except for my car that see the opposing traffic stopped and decides to complete the left turn. I stopped the car as it started to move. The police car did not turn left, but could have, which would have been a big problem.

10.69.4.2 Unusual situation last night driving home. At an intersection I was in the 4 lane roadway with a left turn lane, making a left into a two lane with a dedicated left turn lane. The left turn green arrow had extinguished so it was now an unprotected left turn and I was first in the intersection. Traffic was still moving through the intersection so the car pulled into the middle of the intersection waiting for a pause in traffic to complete the left turn or for the light to change to yellow and red and then move through. Everything is happening correctly except that I hear and then see blue flashing lights from my right rear, a police car is coming at high speed into the intersection and as per law all traffic stops except for my car that see the opposing traffic stopped and decides to complete the left turn. I stopped the car as it started to move. The police car did not turn left, but could have, which would have been a big problem.
The proper course of action is frequently unclear in situations like this. Generally I would proceed though the intersection and then pull over to clear the intersection as much as possible for the emergency vehicle but the best way to clear the intersection is not at all defined and depends on what everyone else is doing, too.

The proper course of action is frequently unclear in situations like this. Generally I would proceed though the intersection and then pull over to clear the intersection as much as possible for the emergency vehicle but the best way to clear the intersection is not at all defined and depends on what everyone else is doing, too.
I agree with Sleepy - in Cali you have to pull over for emergency vehicles, so I would have made the left turn and then pulled to the right.

I agree with Sleepy - in Cali you have to pull over for emergency vehicles, so I would have made the left turn and then pulled to the right.
If it's a high speed police car and there is space for it to drive at high speed, sometimes the best thing to do is just don't move at all. Especially if you are in the middle of the road/intersection.

It all depends on the situation though. Just don't be unpredictable or make a mad dash to pull over and force them to avoid you. Usually, yes you should pull over.

I've found in Vancouver that fire and ambulance are careful, and would appreciate that you clear the road ahead of them or they have to pick their way through. Police, on the other hand, will just bludgeon their way through whatever is there and honestly just seem to treat it like an obstacle course by preference as they are going way too fast. This may just be a local practice though, I usually pull over for everything if possible.

Reactions: sleepydoc
If it's a high speed police car and there is space for it to drive at high speed, sometimes the best thing to do is just don't move at all. Especially if you are in the middle of the road/intersection.

It all depends on the situation though. Just don't be unpredictable or make a mad dash to pull over and force them to avoid you. Usually, yes you should pull over.

I've found in Vancouver that fire and ambulance are careful, and would appreciate that you clear the road ahead of them or they have to pick their way through. Police, on the other hand, will just bludgeon their way through whatever is there and honestly just seem to treat it like an obstacle course by preference as they are going way too fast. This may just be a local practice though, I usually pull over for everything if possible.
But Vancouver is weird. You even have flashing GREEN lights.

Reactions: Dan D.

It was a large intersection and as long as I held my position there was plenty of room for someone to get by.

But Vancouver is weird. You even have flashing GREEN lights.
Flashing green lights are useful if drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians understood and obeyed the rules. But just about everyone misuses the "stop" rules and loads of people completely misunderstand the right-of-way, and VRU often claim "the red light doesn't apply to them, just for cars". Plus if you're an old/slow pedestrian you can get put at risk in the middle of walking across the cross street because your green light can change instantly to yellow with no warning. Drivers cross on very stale "non-light" states from the cross-street because there is no way to know the other light is just about to turn green, and they basically enter the intersection just as the traffic gets the green going the other way. There are other problems too, it's pretty stupid to still use this system.

Around from me there is a flashing green on a blind corner, you can in theory cross this intersection without waiting for the red, and it's commonly done, but you really have no idea if it's safe until you floor it. I have to listen rather than look, but it's better to just wait.

Another issue is if you legally cross against the flashing green as a car or cyclist because "you know it's safe", the next person behind or the pedestrian beside you may cross too, thinking that the light had changed but really you're just dashing through on your safe opportunity. It is not safe for them to follow you, but they might if they aren't paying attention.

It's always quicker to lean out or get out to press the button yourself. The light often changes instantly then, rather than wait for the embedded sensor to act. Many people claim there are no embedded sensors in the road, but I believe that's no longer true if it ever was.

The safest thing to do is treat the flashing green as a solid green and also never enter from the cross street if the pedestrian signal is a solid hand.

TL;DR It might actually be a difficult thing to teach FSD Beta to understand flashing green lights. Crossing from a cross street relies on you reading the OTHER traffic light and YOUR pedestrian signal because you don't have any traffic light in your direction, and timing the dash through a green light gap is risky.

Last edited:
Flashing green lights are useful if drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians understood and obeyed the rules. But just about everyone misuses the "stop" rules and loads of people completely misunderstand the right-of-way, and VRU often claim "the red light doesn't apply to them, just for cars". Plus if you're an old/slow pedestrian you can get put at risk in the middle of walking across the cross street because your green light can change instantly to yellow with no warning. Drivers cross on very stale "non-light" states from the cross-street because there is no way to know the other light is just about to turn green, and they basically enter the intersection just as the traffic gets the green going the other way. There are other problems too, it's pretty stupid to still use this system.

Around from me there is a flashing green on a blind corner, you can in theory cross this intersection without waiting for the red, and it's commonly done, but you really have no idea if it's safe until you floor it. I have to listen rather than look, but it's better to just wait.

Another issue is if you legally cross against the flashing green as a car or cyclist because "you know it's safe", the next person behind or the pedestrian beside you may cross too, thinking that the light had changed but really you're just dashing through on your safe opportunity. It is not safe for them to follow you, but they might if they aren't paying attention.

It's always quicker to lean out or get out to press the button yourself. The light often changes instantly then, rather than wait for the embedded sensor to act. Many people claim there are no embedded sensors in the road, but I believe that's no longer true if it ever was.

The safest thing to do is treat the flashing green as a solid green and also never enter from the cross street if the pedestrian signal is a solid hand. It might actually be a difficult thing to teach FSD Beta to understand. Crossing from a cross street relies on you reading the OTHER traffic light and YOUR pedestrian signal because you don't have any traffic light in your direction.

Does FSD Beta handle all that correctly? I understand that signaling protocol is unique to BC

Reactions: Dan D.
Does FSD Beta handle all that correctly? I understand that signaling protocol is unique to BC
We'd have to find some FSD Beta in Vancouver videos to see. There must be other cities that have mid-block lights with a cross street stop sign. How does FSD Beta handle them? Can you cross against a solid green though like you can here with a flashing green?

What do the flashing green lights mean in BC & ON?

Link #1, or any of them

/s

Basically in BC flashing green (non-arrow) traffic lights mean roughly the same as solid green in that you can proceed if it is safe. But also that the light may stay green "forever" until controlled when a cross-signal user presses the button or an embedded road loop senses a vehicle. In practice it's a cheap way of controlling an intersection that causes drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians to invent different behaviours and explanations for what the light is doing, and almost everybody eventually ends up in the path of someone who is "doing it wrong". You can also cross against the green if it is "safe". If you end up in a collision then it was not safe. Plus there is no way to know if it's a "Stale Green" which is risky for slow crossing pedestrians or "Stale Red" which is risky for everyone, and unless you actually saw the light change you may end up entering the intersection just when the light goes green and you've just started crossing 6 lanes. There sometimes is a walk->flashing->steady pedestrian hand, which does help a bit, - but not if a cyclist pressed the button when there is nothing but a steady hand. It's a recipe for muddled and risky driving/cycling/walking, but works fine in low/no traffic situations and when people actually obey the rules. Problem being that people don't know or care about the rules, and it's hard to find a clear set of rules anyway.

Basically in ON, flashing green (non-arrow) traffic lights meant the same as green arrows do. You have priority over oncoming traffic to proceed left/straight/right so long as it's safe to go. It's being phased out.

There are other flashing green lights indicating lane choice or other things probably, but this discussion is about flashing green traffic lights.

Last edited:
From link 1:
“It’s important to note that flashing or blinking green traffic lights do not mean the same thing everywhere”

“As a new resident moving from the US to British Columbia, I fully expected the traffic laws to be the same on either side of the border.

As it turns out, they’re not even the same between Canadian provinces — a fact that’s confusing when you travel to the area.”

“the US traffic control authorities officially banned the use of flashing green lights as an equipment option back in 2009. I can only assume this was for the same reason you’re reading this article — they’re confusing!”

🤦‍♂️

Was driving home last night on an interstate highway using autopilot, have both FSD and highway engaged. Just prior to my exit, in the distance beyond my exit, I could see flashing blue lights (police car) the tesla also saw them and gave a warning that my speed was restricted because of emergency lights being detected and to cancel I need to tap the accelerator. I had never seen this before and was not aware the autopilot was programed to detect emergency lights. Because I was exiting the highway prior to the blue lights I did tap the accelerator but the warning remained. Anyone else see this or know anything about this warning?