Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just went for my first drive with 10.69.3.1. I thought I remember hearing claims that this new FSD beta used a single stack for AP & FSD, but that clearly is not the case. I was impressed with how it behaves when being passed on a two-lane road; the car moves to the right to assist the passing vehicle.

I am not pleased at all with how it still behaves in several scenarios:
  • Constant phantom slowing for no apparent reason. Even though by just a couple of mph, it makes for an uncomfortable drive when it happens repeatedly a couple of times per minute. It is enough to cause me to lean slightly away from the seat.
  • Vehicles crossing my lane ahead of me that will clear the lane before I get there; FSD still slams on the friction brakes (i.e. my seatbelt locks and I am thrown against it). Release notes have made multiple claims to have improved this.
  • FSD keeps moving me out of the right lane into the left lane and won’t let me stay in the right lane, giving the message “Changing out of rightmost lane”. It does this on US-31, a four-lane highway (but still using the FSD stack, as is apparent from the visualization, as well as the fact that I have automatic lane changes disabled in FSD). If I try to cancel the lane change, it just tries again 30 seconds later, repeatedly, until I give up and let it. And, yes, I have set AP to stay out of the passing lane, but that affects only AP, not FSD.
  • Excessive and harsh early braking (using the friction brakes) when approaching stops, then slowly creeping up to the stop. Not the nice smooth braking anyone use regen would do. A computer should be able to execute this at least as good as any human. It is a simple problem. I have taken to canceling FSD and slowing using regen, then reenabling after I stop.
  • FSD takes forever to lower the speed of the vehicle when the speed limit reduces. I would say at least a quarter mile—definitely far enough to get a ticket in the typical speed trap. I have taken to canceling FSD when it goes down a reenabling when I reach the new speed.
I guess I ought to be treating FSD like the proverbial talking dog, where, instead of criticizing his grammar and pronunciation, I should just be amazed a dog is talking. But there is no way this is worth $15k for new buyers, nor will it be in the near future. However, it is worth the $2k premium I paid for it on top of my EAP I had to pay $5k for back in the day. But it is also frustrating enough that I am likely to disable FSD when doing non-Interstate highway driving. It is nowhere near as stress reducing on a Highway as EAP.
Agree with all your observations and criticisms, but I do think this is getting close to being considerably more valuable on city streets and approach AP level of reliability. Your points could all easily be addressed in the v11 release or closely thereafter. But don't ask me to bet $ on it.

That is one shameful school zone sign. By the time I could decipher the sign and check the time, I would be out of the zone.
Just went for my first drive with 10.69.3.1. I thought I remember hearing claims that this new FSD beta used a single stack for AP & FSD, but that clearly is not the case. I was impressed with how it behaves when being passed on a two-lane road; the car moves to the right to assist the passing vehicle.

I am not pleased at all with how it still behaves in several scenarios:
  • Constant phantom slowing for no apparent reason. Even though by just a couple of mph, it makes for an uncomfortable drive when it happens repeatedly a couple of times per minute. It is enough to cause me to lean slightly away from the seat.
  • Vehicles crossing my lane ahead of me that will clear the lane before I get there; FSD still slams on the friction brakes (i.e. my seatbelt locks and I am thrown against it). Release notes have made multiple claims to have improved this.
  • FSD keeps moving me out of the right lane into the left lane and won’t let me stay in the right lane, giving the message “Changing out of rightmost lane”. It does this on US-31, a four-lane highway (but still using the FSD stack, as is apparent from the visualization, as well as the fact that I have automatic lane changes disabled in FSD). If I try to cancel the lane change, it just tries again 30 seconds later, repeatedly, until I give up and let it. And, yes, I have set AP to stay out of the passing lane, but that affects only AP, not FSD.
  • Excessive and harsh early braking (using the friction brakes) when approaching stops, then slowly creeping up to the stop. Not the nice smooth braking anyone use regen would do. A computer should be able to execute this at least as good as any human. It is a simple problem. I have taken to canceling FSD and slowing using regen, then reenabling after I stop.
  • FSD takes forever to lower the speed of the vehicle when the speed limit reduces. I would say at least a quarter mile—definitely far enough to get a ticket in the typical speed trap. I have taken to canceling FSD when it goes down a reenabling when I reach the new speed.
I guess I ought to be treating FSD like the proverbial talking dog, where, instead of criticizing his grammar and pronunciation, I should just be amazed a dog is talking. But there is no way this is worth $15k for new buyers, nor will it be in the near future. However, it is worth the $2k premium I paid for it on top of my EAP I had to pay $5k for back in the day. But it is also frustrating enough that I am likely to disable FSD when doing non-Interstate highway driving. It is nowhere near as stress reducing on a Highway as EAP.
While I agree with your general impression give FSD a couple of weeks on city/streets before making a decision. Once you get used to how FSD drives you may be more willing to use it. That has been the case for many testers. And note the scroll wheel for accelerator changes is your best friend especially for speed changes like your last point.

2021 Model YLR
Update 2022.36.20 FSD 10.69.3.1 What is going on!!! FSD strikes out of nowhere.

For almost a year I have had the full self-drive. (Yes, I did the safety score and all) I have 21,000 miles and I would say that 98% is FSD. I had one strike months ago, but after the update to 2022.36.20 I got 4 strikes within 86 miles and have been blocked out. The update did not reset the strikes to zero.

There were no warnings, nothing. Just a disengagement of FSD. The first strike I was looking out the window for 30 seconds and FSD disengaged. Reset the FSD (stop and start the car), started driving and soon it disengaged again. No warning at all. One strike came after another and soon I had 5 and it was over.

I cannot not express how conservatively I was driving. The last thing I wanted was to strike out of FSD.

If this is the way FSD is going to monitor drivers, it will never work. It is not worth the $200.00 monthly if you cannot look out a window while on FSD. Tesla has become too conservative while driving on FSD to make FSD worth the effort and the money. Maybe it is the government’s requirements, I do not know but FSD will never be adapted by the public in the current condition. I don’t see the point in FSD if I must be more attentive driving with FSD, than without.

While driving on FSD I am constantly taking over from Tesla, making corrections, and sending data to Tesla. When it is Tesla faults, no penalty but when I look out the window for a second it is my fault and Tesla strikes me out.

I bought the Tesla for the FSD, and if this is the future for FSD then I would not but another Tesla. I just do not see the advantages over so many other cars that are available.

There were no warnings, nothing. Just a disengagement of FSD. The first strike I was looking out the window for 30 seconds and FSD disengaged. Reset the FSD (stop and start the car), started driving and soon it disengaged again. No warning at all. One strike came after another and soon I had 5 and it was over.
Do you have a wheel weight to avoid nags? If so, that is likely why you got the strikes with no warning.

2021 Model YLR

For almost a year I have had the full self-drive. (Yes, I did the safety score and all) I have 21,000 miles and I would say that 98% is FSD. I had one strike months ago, but after the update to 2022.36.20 I got 4 strikes within 86 miles and have been blocked out. The update did not reset the strikes to zero.

I cannot not express how conservatively I was driving. The last thing I wanted was to strike out of FSD.

If this is the way FSD is going to monitor drivers, it will never work. It is not worth the $200.00 monthly if you cannot look out a window while on FSD. Tesla has become too conservative while driving on FSD to make FSD worth the effort and the money. Maybe it is the government’s requirements, I do not know but FSD will never be adapted by the public in the current condition. I don’t see the point in FSD if I must be more attentive driving with FSD, than without.

While driving on FSD I am constantly taking over from Tesla, making corrections, and sending data to Tesla. When it is Tesla faults, no penalty but when I look out the window for a second it is my fault and Tesla strikes me out.

I bought the Tesla for the FSD, and if this is the future for FSD then I would not but another Tesla. I just do not see the advantages over so many other cars that are available.
Competition is a good thing for the market.

While I agree with your general impression give FSD a couple of weeks on city/streets before making a decision. Once you get used to how FSD drives you may be more willing to use it. That has been the case for many testers. And note the scroll wheel for accelerator changes is your best friend especially for speed changes like your last point.

If I'm on a 45 mph road and hit a school zone (25 mph), using the scroll wheel has almost no impact. It will probably be down to 41/42 by the time it is at the end of the school zone. There is a road near me that I use regularly, It drops from 45 to 35 through about 1/4 residential seciton (the rest is rural / fields). FSDb has never gotten to 35 either because of the new speed limit (it does see and change the limit on the screen) or with scrolling down.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu
If I'm on a 45 mph road and hit a school zone (25 mph), using the scroll wheel has almost no impact. It will probably be down to 41/42 by the time it is at the end of the school zone. There is a road near me that I use regularly, It drops from 45 to 35 through about 1/4 residential seciton (the rest is rural / fields). FSDb has never gotten to 35 either because of the new speed limit (it does see and change the limit on the screen) or with scrolling down.
Just heard that exact same problem in this video that I watched today.
9 minutes into

2021 Model YLR

I wonder if there is something wrong with your internal camera or other hardware or sensors? I have no strikes after receiving 2022-36-20 a couple of weeks ago. And I have plenty of experience inappropriately checking my iPhone and looking out windows while on FSD beta on city streets. I'm surprised I haven't received any strikes.

I wonder if there is something wrong with your internal camera or other hardware or sensors? I have no strikes after receiving 2022-36-20 a couple of weeks ago. And I have plenty of experience inappropriately checking my iPhone and looking out windows while on FSD beta on city streets. I'm surprised I haven't received any strikes.
I got the pay attention warning ⚠️ while creeping on a Chuck style ULT.
All I was doing was looking left and right to make sure beta didn't put me in harms way... what the heck? Aren't we supposed to be vigilant?

• Funny
I've been driving using the FSD beta more and more. It still needs some help for getting into the correct lane sooner when traffic is heavy and backed up but making left and right turns and merging all seem to be going well. There are still the usual problems, school zones, not slowing quickly ect. but overall I am more confident in the system. I did have one unusual occurrence while in a left turn lane. The car entered a two lane left turn lane with traffic stopped and while in the right lane of the two lanes it put on it's left turn signal. Now I know there may be disagreement on what I am about to state but ignore that for the moment, while in the right lane of a two lane left turn lane the car activated the left turn signal, I felt this was not necessary because it could have been interpreted to mean I wanted in the left most lane and because it was a dedicated left turn lane I saw no need for the signal (everyone would know I was going left), so I canceled the signal. The car stayed in its position for a short period of time but, with traffic still stopped, put on the right turn signal and turned the wheel right as if to exit the turning lane we were in. I disengage the autopilot. I don't know if canceling the signal cause the car to think I wanted to leave the lane or not, I did have a route selected to a destination and was following that route. Any thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I've been driving using the FSD beta more and more. It still needs some help for getting into the correct lane sooner when traffic is heavy and backed up but making left and right turns and merging all seem to be going well. There are still the usual problems, school zones, not slowing quickly ect. but overall I am more confident in the system. I did have one unusual occurrence while in a left turn lane. The car entered a two lane left turn lane with traffic stopped and while in the right lane of the two lanes it put on it's left turn signal. Now I know there may be disagreement on what I am about to state but ignore that for the moment, while in the right lane of a two lane left turn lane the car activated the left turn signal, I felt this was not necessary because it could have been interpreted to mean I wanted in the left most lane and because it was a dedicated left turn lane I saw no need for the signal (everyone would know I was going left), so I canceled the signal. The car stayed in its position for a short period of time but, with traffic still stopped, put on the right turn signal and turned the wheel right as if to exit the turning lane we were in. I disengage the autopilot. I don't know if canceling the signal cause the car to think I wanted to leave the lane or not, I did have a route selected to a destination and was following that route. Any thoughts?
The car was turning left so it had the left turn signal on. You canceled the left turn by cutting off the signal so the car was assuming you wanted to go straight. It was then trying to get out of the turning lane. Not sure were you got the idea that having a left turn signal on for left turn is wrong.

Reactions: JupiterMan
Call me crazy, but on 10.69.3.1 I sense that FSD is actually positioning the car to avoid learned pavement disruptions (e.g., manholes, potholes).
I wish it were true. Our car still aims for every single manhole cover & pothole... when turning onto our street there are 5 possible manhole covers to hit. Over the years I've learned how to navigate them with slight steering adjustments where I could do it with my eyes closed (probably lol) the car manages to hit every one. To hit them you don't just drive straight, you have to actively turn the wheel. FSD Beta manages to actively adjust the steering direction to hit every single one. It's absolutely amazing how it doesn't just stay centered in its lane, but wanders left & right in order to hit every single one.

Now... to be fair... the reason why FSD Beta wanders left & right is because the road is striped only when first turning onto it to divide it as one lane entering the neighborhood & two leaving. After about 50 feet the lane markings end but the road is still 3 lanes wide. Then it slightly narrows while being unmarked. Then there is a 90 degree turn so the striping returns to show the turn as a no passing zone. Thus the car starts out hugging the curb due to lane markings, moves left to the middle of the road when the markings end, then when it picks up the lines for the curve it moves back right, and thus it manages to hit every single manhole cover on the road...

• Funny
Roll-out of 10.69.3.3 appears to be accelerating.
Crawling :)

j60UWy4.jpg

Reactions: willow_hiller
2021 Model YLR

I had a strike just recently here where i picked up my phone and looked down at it to itiate a phone call. It gave me a strike without warning. I had picked up my phone so I suppose i sort of deserved it, but i was still suprised at how quick it shut it down.