Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other explanation makes more sense but I get what you are trying to say.

The fact here is that a heavier object does take more energy to get moving but once moving has more momentum. Yes, lighter wheels/tires are still better like you said, because of the unsprung mass, but once moving shouldn't take more energy than a lighter wheel. Obviously there are so many factors that in to this, mass, friction of tires and air, speed, etc.yes, on
The other explanation makes more sense but I get what you are trying to say.

The fact here is that a heavier object does take more energy to get moving but once moving has more momentum. Yes, lighter wheels/tires are still better like you said, because of the unsprung mass, but once moving shouldn't take more energy than a lighter wheel. Obviously there are so many factors that in to this, mass, friction of tires and air, speed, etc.
Yes, on a flat road or going downhill something heavier may have more momentum than something equally shaped and sized just lighter, but try to push that 50lb ball uphill, even when it’s already moving, and you will certainly find it easier to push a 20lb ball uphill that’s moving much easier.

What's more important is where the weight is located on a wheel. If the weight is at the inside/hub of the wheel, additional/less weight will have a very small impact. If the weight is on the outside of a wheel/edge, it will have a greater effect. So, until we know where all of this saved weight is located, not really sure what to believe. I can say from running 20x9 245/35/20 over the stock aero 18s" which is about a .5" larger setup and slightly more patch contact on the road, I've seen around 8-10% less efficiency my whr/mi so far. Heat is having a far greater impact on the efficiency than tires/wheels at this point. I know, all things being equal, with the same temp, the larger tire/wheel setup is less efficient, as well regen due to the wheels weight being about the same with tires. But apparently now Tesla is messing with the regen on the latest software that is rolling out...so much more out of our control as well than a wheel/tire setup.

Last edited:
Hi all,

help me not make a huge mistake, taking delivery of a 2021 m3p in a few weeks (I hope) need winter tires, my research has told that I can run 18" EV01+ wheels with Vredstein Quadtrac pro 235/45/18's. Before I order everything, help me be less nervous.

thanks

I've ordered a red model 3 for a 3 year lease. I really love the red and black look. I plan on getting black stickers for the logos, but also want to go black on the wheels, while keeping them 19 inches.

I'm trying to figure out my best way of doing that. Haven't purchased after-market wheels before, especially not ones I'll have to take back off again in 3 years. And while I saw some custom-looking rims on the Tesla website, that doesn't appear to be an actual option when purchasing, other than the silver 19 inches (which I did order).

My first thought was to just keep what I ordered for now, then go aftermarket, like: TSS 19" Tesla Model 3 Wheel (Set of 4). . Then, take the tires to a tire shop and have them flop out the rims.

But then I realized if I go down to the 18" stock wheels - saving $1500 - I could just buy the rims with the tires, which is about $1500 more and would even out the cost. TSS 19" Tesla Model 3 Wheel and Tire Package (Set of 4) However, if I do this, it would mean no wear and tear on the original tires. But I guess that doesn't really get me anything :-D

Any thoughts on how I should go about this?

Thanks!

You get what you paid. I heard some story about bad finshing on them, and last time I check it took 16 weeks to build... that's the wait time for Rays. 😅

We've had several sets. Finishing has been superb. Yes they do take a bit longer due to COVID-19, but then again you save a lot of money.

I’ve had my set of VS forged for 2.5yrs now. Finish on mine was perfect as well and has held up great. The build/ship time might be longer and I have no clue how much a set of Signatures run….but VS is definitely a great deal. I run a separate winter set. So I ordered in the middle of the winter and got them in before it was even time to throw them on the car.

I am planning a square setup with a staggered offset, 20x9 et30 in the front and 20x9 et21 in the rear. I want a deep concave look.
Now I'm thinking of going a little more aggressive in the front with 20x9 et21, like the rear.
Is anyone here with 20x9 et21 all around?

I am planning a square setup with a staggered offset, 20x9 et30 in the front and 20x9 et21 in the rear. I want a deep concave look.
Now I'm thinking of going a little more aggressive in the front with 20x9 et21, like the rear.

IMO it will look a little funny with the fronts poking out so much while the rears being more flush. I would do a 20x9 +30 front and try to get a wider wheel (that's where you get more concave on most styles) on the back. Like a 20x10.5+40

20x9 with same staggered offsets.
FCB4C847-5A07-4EEB-A213-F578699A428B.png

Just thought I’d give everyone an update. With 2,270 miles (90% interstate at 75-85mph) on my 18” T-Sportline TST wheels and MXM4 Tires, my average consumption has remained impressively low at 246wh/mi. In comparison, the 20” OEM (original style, not uberturbine) performance wheels and PS4S and then DWS06 tires had averaged over 300wh/mi over 40,000 miles. I’m really happy with the result and I honestly do not find there to be much of any performance difference in street driving.
Are the MXM4 the Primacy or Pilot family?

Ya 20x10 +35 and 20x10.5 +45 are very close to the same flushness. The wider the better for having a change to get the concave look you're going for.

What wheels are you thinking?
JR33 in gloss black.
Do you think a rim as wide as 10.5 will fit my SR+? Won't I get the same result with 20x9 et21? The advantage is that the total weight of the wheel will be much lower.

Last edited: